Muzzle Diameter of RS 77's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Would someone measure the muzzle diameter of their tang safety 338 WinMag RS and their tang safety 35 Whelen RS? I'm thinking about getting one and reboring to 375 or 416 if there
is enough metal.
Thanks
Bfly

rangerbob

Buckeye
Black Fly, be sure and take in account the depth of the holes for the rear sight mounting screws in your calculations. Bob!! :D

pete44ru

Hunter
GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi just happen to have a 338 barrel on my bench .620

Per Jess Ompagh, to accept a barrel for a rebore, a minimum barrel wall thickness after the rebore of .125" is required.

A muzzle OD of .620", less the minimum barrel wall remaining (.125" x 2 = .250" ) after the rebore, would allow a rebore as big as .375cal, but not .416".

A rebore to .416" would require a minimum muzzle OD of .636".

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all. I was working with those numbers, but had not considered the screws. I was really hoping for a bit more diameter.
I guess I need to think on this a bit more.

A couple other things that I was thinking might limit what I would do would be the change in balance. Removing a few ounces from a barrel would make a difference. I was originally hoping to end up with the Ruger 375 or 416 on a tang safety 77, but with a rebore of a 338, I would need to turn the barrel back a turn because the belt is just a bit bigger than the Ruger case at that point. If the barrel isn't set back, after firing the cases would have a ring where the belt was.

I really prefer the old tang safety 77 to the Mk II and Hawkeye, but I don't know of my wallet is up to a new barrel, bluing, sights, and all that

Thanks
Bfly

Hi you have to look at the cost of doing these things the barrel on my bench was purchased just for a like project and when all was figured in for a few bucks more I could just buy what I wanted but if you gotta have a tang safety you gotta have it :)

Gramps

Latest posts