removing muzzle brake Ruger Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BadMatrix

Bearcat
hi
i cannot tell if this is a straight forward removal with a wrench. i know its a bugger to hold the rifle.

it just screws off right?
IMG_7165.jpeg

Tell ya one darn theen...

Some of these muzzle brakes and flash hiders have been a real bear to unscrew.

I bought a pair of small strap wrenches, and that's been the ticket for me. Lotsa torque with no damage.:)

One on the device, and one on the end of the barrel next to the device.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
They are possibly installed at the factory with rocksett adhesive. If the installer used a bit too much it could be a real bear. It takes a several hour to an overnight soak in water to loosen it up. It is temp resistant so heat does not loosen it.

BadMatrix

Bearcat
I saw a video. I did use a heat gun A little cuz its cold in New Hapmshire right now. But mostly put in a tight fitting screw driver, and a 7/8" or 3/4" inch to hold it and it broke free! The M3 brake from Rugged now poses a different problem cuz none of my wrenched are skinny enough to bite…..always something. Thanks for the responses.

'poses a different problem cuz none of my wrenched are skinny enough to bite'
I had a set of 'thin' combination wrenches that were just the ticket for this problem. "HAD" is the keyword. Some slow and careful work with an angle grinder on a common open end wrench may work--just don't get it too hot in the process.

9x19

Hunter
Rockset is easily broken down with a boiling water immersion for 3 minutes.

NikA

Buckeye
Collet block and vise to hold barrel directly behind the brake. Maybe heat on the brake but mostly plenty of torque. If I cared about the barrel but not the brake I'd use a steel rod through it instead of risking a too-thick wrench on the flats.

DO NOT under any circumstances just hold the rifle by clamping the buttstock is a vise. This will most likely damage the bedding and/or other parts.
As NikA said, use a barrel clamp to resist the torque of removal.
I work on AR type rifles. Those muzzle devices are often torqued severely to 'clock' them against the crush washer. Most of the time, I can get them loose by using a piece of automotive heater hose to pad the barrel and clamp it in a bench vise. Sometimes, I have to get everything secured and smack the end of the wrench with a deadblow hammer to 'break' it loose. Also mentioned: A line up punch or pry bar may work but can damage the brake.

Reactions: v35

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
From the Rocksett website…

"The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more and then forcibly remove the components".

Once again , applying heat does not help in the removal if that is what was used to install the brake.

v35

Bearcat
I contacted Ruger this exact same question a while ago. They more or less confirmed what Mobuck wrote:

DO NOT under any circumstances just hold the rifle by clamping the buttstock is a vise. This will most likely damage the bedding and/or other parts.
As NikA said, use a barrel clamp to resist the torque of removal.
I work on AR type rifles. Those muzzle devices are often torqued severely to 'clock' them against the crush washer. Most of the time, I can get them loose by using a piece of automotive heater hose to pad the barrel and clamp it in a bench vise. Sometimes, I have to get everything secured and smack the end of the wrench with a deadblow hammer to 'break' it loose. Also mentioned: A line up punch or pry bar may work but can damage the brake.

Ruger suggested using an old leather belt, but an automotive heater hose sounds good to me also.

I did not ask them about Rocksett since I didn't know about it at the time.

mjh

Single-Sixer
When I removed the muzzle break from my GSR I bought some rubberized pads for my vice. Tightened in the barrel in the rounded pads. Supported the rest of the rifle on my workshop bench. Had a wrench that fit. Muzzle break was tight but there was no movement of the barrel/rifle. Don't forget a new crush washer if need be with whatever you put over the threads.