Percision Rifle Brake or No Brake

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5card

Blackhawk
So I want to do some long range shooting. I have purchased a Percision rifle in 6.5 creedmoore. Now I know nothing about brakes. I have had a few rifles wiht a brake on them and not sure if it really makes any difference in the felt recoil. Now the reviews I read say it can make a big difference. Which brings me to the point I know nothing about them but their looks. I like the Barrett tanker look but is it the best to keep the gun in place and reduce felt recoil. Help me out here you long range guys

grobin

Blackhawk
There are two types of muzzle brake:
Type 1: These reduce recoil and aid staying on target by trading muzzle jump and recoil for increased muzzle blast and sound.
Type 2: These are often called linear muzzle brakes or Linear Muzzle Compensators and they trade higher recoil for lower muzzle blast and sound by sending them down range. I'm unsure that they improve accuracy by limiting muzzle jump.

Type 1 muzzle brakes were extensively reviewed in 2015 the summary article is http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/06/24/muzzle-brakes-field-test/; it includes links to other interesting articles as well.

Type 2 Linear Muzzle Compensators have a number of reviews online but a good comparison between them and Type 1 muzzlebrakes is http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/. I have a KVP™ Linear Comp on my PCC and as the recoil is negligible the slight increase is a good trade for more pleasant shooting. Whether or not it helps with muzzle jump I haven't tested—IMHO that's one component of why I shoot much tighter groups with it than without.

The weight of the gun will have a lot to do with whether or not a type 1 will make a lot of difference. The RPR is heavy enough that I find the 6.5 recoil minor, whether you will benefit more from a type 1 or 2 depends on you, but the KVP type 2 at ~$55 is cheap enough you can try it and if it doesn't work for you then try a highly rated type 1 (note most of them go from $100 up and up). Ive used a couple type 1s on 338 lapua and the barrett in 50 BMG but those are not available for 6.5 creedmoore.

Easy answer, shoot with and without, you decide what you like. Part of the fun of shooting and seeing what YOUR gun will do. By the way there is no way to become a top shooter without shooting rounds, so shooting a few to see what's best is just good practice. My 6.5 likes 140 grain bullets over 120s but yours maybe different.

MZ5

Bearcat
Basically, no one shoots _worse_ with a brake (recoil reducer, which includes suppressors) than without. Try it and see what you think.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
I shoot a suppressor or an unbraked rifle just fine. But the concussion from some brakes make me kinda flinch. It don't do any good to use one to see impacts, then negate the effect by bobbing your head and blinking your eyes from the concussion(and that is with plugs AND muffs). So, yeah, I do shoot worse with a brake.....