New Here! PC4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arecord1

Bearcat
I just joined this forum after lurking for a few days and I really like it here! I am a huge Ruger fan. I currently own a PC4 and a 10/22 TD but I have about five more rugers on my wishlist. I just bought the PC4 about two weeks ago at a gun show (way-overpaid at $650 but it's the only one I've ever seen in person). According to Ruger it is a 2003 GR model but someone robbed the original sight off of it. I contacted Ruger and after getting transferred around they agreed to scrap together whatever they had for a ghost sight and install it along with a sling swivel barrel band. They did all of the work for free and didn't charge me for parts and it's on it's way back to me as I type this. Before I sent it off I did get a chance to shoot it and I don't think I've ever gone through 100 rounds faster, it's a blast to shoot. I'll try and attach some pics of my guns.

-Alec

Takedown
c82bda06678c8394d03efad925bd8b7f.jpg

PC4
3b79f23335ebc5d0c974e0474219f62b.jpg

geerhound

Bearcat
I'm a new owner of both a PC4 & a PC9. I had to buy one of each after shooting one at the range a few weeks ago. Anyway, my PC4 has the standard sights mounted in front of the receiver and the PC9 has a ghost ring mounted at the rear of the receiver. Is one more common than the other? Also, I bought the PC4 with 8 mags and the PC9 with just 1. Will the PC4 mags work and cycle fine in the PC9. I know that some mags for .40S&W will work in 9mm pistols and vice versa. I just want to make sure that I don't have to go out and buy new 9mm mags if these .40's will work. Thanks in advance.

arecord1

Bearcat
geerhound said:
I'm a new owner of both a PC4 & a PC9. I had to buy one of each after shooting one at the range a few weeks ago. Anyway, my PC4 has the standard sights mounted in front of the receiver and the PC9 has a ghost ring mounted at the rear of the receiver. Is one more common than the other? Also, I bought the PC4 with 8 mags and the PC9 with just 1. Will the PC4 mags work and cycle fine in the PC9. I know that some mags for .40S&W will work in 9mm pistols and vice versa. I just want to make sure that I don't have to go out and buy new 9mm mags if these .40's will work. Thanks in advance.

The Ghost Ring models are less common than the standard variants and are generally considered more desirable, as for the magazine compatibility I'm not sure. I need to get myself a PC9 now also!

-Alec

geerhound

Bearcat
Thanks to all for the replies. I took both the PC4 & PC9 out to the range today, and the .40 mags cycled just fine in the PC9. Although there are plenty of P series mags on the market, I just would rather buy ammo if the same mags will do the trick. Shooting them side by side I can tell the slightest bit more of recoil from the PC4, which makes sense. Both shoot well, for what they are, and a heck of a lot of fun to plink with. An AR-15 they are not, but that's what I have my AR for. I would love to set up the PC9 in a scout configuration with a long eye relief scope mounted where the rear conventional sight should be mounted. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

First, don't mess with the 40 mags..... I think that is silly. the biggest problem folks have in any semi auto is with mags, specifically usually aftermarket mags...... I'd stick with Ruger mags and don't try to tweak the 40's to work with 9mm.

I just scrolled up to look at your pictures and realized the picture in your first post was a 10/22 take down with one more long rail on top... where did you get that thing? Something like that looks like the way to go if you want to convert one of your PCs into a scout rifle.

arecord1

Bearcat
blume357,

That rifle was mine, geerhound is the one talking about making a PC scout. Anyway, the configuration of that rifle is the Amega Ranges Mini-scout 10/22 TD paired with NDS-26 rear sight with rail. Made a pretty good looking little rifle in my opinion.

geerhound

Bearcat
Thanks arecord1, I was going to say something but figured I'd abstain. Anyway, I think I found the answer to my scout config. A place right here in my home town, Phoenix AZ, makes a rail to use on a PC4/9 for a scout config. Here's their link ( http://www.armstechltd.com/products.php?id=sdcmount ) and a pic of the rail. I'll contact them this week to inquire about prices. I'm stoked!

clip_image002_0012.jpg

arecord1

Bearcat
I've never seen that mount before, probably one of the only accessories made just for the PC Rifles. By looking at it I am assuming that you have to remove the rear sight. Let us know about it once you get more info on it.

-Alec

arecord1

Bearcat
RugerHound said:
FWIW - I don't think you overpaid at $650! ;) I snagged a PC4GR 3 years ago for $545 and was very happy to get it for that.

That makes me feel better! Anyway, an update on it since I got it back. Initially Ruger told me they only had the older style ghost ring sights left but when I got it back they actually installed the correct ones. Also, they put on a new front barrel band and sling swivel. Now the only thing I need is the rear sight plastic cover in order to restore it to original configuration. The best part, since it did not get to Ruger within the time it was guaranteed I got a full refund on my shipping, so i'm invested in all this work at 0$ total.

-Alec

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
PC4's are rarely found these days. they only made about 15,000 of them.
PC9's about 20,000.
that was a nice find there. I got mine used for $499.

1811R

Bearcat
That was a great price... 8) These little plinkers are reaching cult status... Nice find... I have a very nice PC9 that I might be willing to transfer if the price were right.
Cheers,
G