New Ruglin 44 price

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lots of competitors. The StaggAero precision 1895 copies and S&W 44 mag henry copy probably have marlin going crazy. They were too slow in getting quantity to the market with only acceptable quality. Marlin created a bubble by not offering enough guns. The other guys are going to flood the market, low quantities of ammo will be available and prices will fall.

I've seen that. I have an early 70's JM in .44 that's as smooth as glass and shows every scar from getting there. I was wanting a new Ruglin .44 but I just came into a 1963 Marlin 336 Texan carbine in 30-30. I really don't want a 30-30 but this one is tempting me. I need to decide a value and either buy it from my friend or let it pass. It has minimal usage but a couple of blemishes and the typical deteriorated white spacer. Decisions, decisions.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I've seen that. I have an early 70's JM in .44 that's as smooth as glass and shows every scar from getting there. I was wanting a new Ruglin .44 but I just came into a 1963 Marlin 336 Texan carbine in 30-30. I really don't want a 30-30 but this one is tempting me. I need to decide a value and either buy it from my friend or let it pass. It has minimal usage but a couple of blemishes and the typical deteriorated white spacer. Decisions, decisions.
If you don't want the Texan, I'd be very interested if the price is fair.
I just happened to be born in 63

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
The last couple years of the JM Marlins were pretty crappy too. Lots of hit and miss quality. So don't overly revere them just because it wears a JM stamping. Some of the Remington Marlins weren't all that bad either. The same warn out machinery was being used for all of them.
Maybe my sample size is too small, but from what I've seen, comparing RP Marlins to JM Marlins even from the 2000s is a poor comparison. Sure they have that crappy pressed in checkering and might need a little smoothing up, but the ones I've come across with JM stamp have been good enough for me. Certainly they functioned fine and were reasonably (by lever gun standards) accurate.

Folks come here to profess the new Ruger/Marlins, the Remington/Marlins, and even later JM Marlins somehow missed the quality boat.

I didn't get the memo. Mine are all very nice. But if we read it on the internet, it must be true. ;)

If somebody has had less than stellar experiences with any of their Marlin products, it must be so. I have just been lucky.

Last edited:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Folks come here to profess the new Ruger/Marlins, the Remington/Marlins, and even later JM Marlins somehow missed the quality boat.

I didn't get the memo. Mine are all very nice. But if we read it on the internet, it must be true.;)
Just curious , do you have specimens of all types?

I do, and/or did.

Right now, I have a Remington/Marlin 336, a Remington/Marlin SBLR, a Ruger/Marlin 1894, and a JM/Marlin 1894. I did have another late-JM era 1894 that I let slip away. Mine have all been very nice, function well, and shoot well.

And in a previous life, I have encountered some Marlin/Glenfield lever guns and some other bargain/department store model Marlin's. They were the only ones to have the much unloved pressed checkering and plain, stained, white wood. But even they, shot well.

Last edited:
If you don't want the Texan, I'd be very interested if the price is fair.
I just happened to be born in 63
My wife was born in 63 also.

Out of curiosity what do you feel it's worth? I know that's a loaded question and I'm probably going to buy it myself. I tried the usual GunBroker research, and came up with anywhere from $600 to $2000. So on GB you can ask whatever you want, what it sells for is what matters. And the only ones selling are in the $600ish range. Local gun shops offer $400 but I can't really get a feel for what they're worth as there are only pistol grip 336's on the racks. The Texan is an odd duck in my opinion. Sort of an economy model when built, but with a dedicated following now due to the straight stock. Low production numbers but unless in mint condition it's not collectible. This one isn't mint and no box or paperwork, but not many rounds through it either.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I do, and/or did.

Right now, I have a Remington/Marlin 336, a Remington/Marlin SBLR, a Ruger/Marlin 1894, and a JM/Marlin 1894. I did have a late-JM era 1894 that I let slip away. Mine have all been very nice, function well, and shoot well.

And in a previous life, I have encountered some Marlin/Glenfield lever guns and some other bargain/department store model Marlin's. They were the only ones to have the much unloved pressed checkering and plain, stained, white wood. But even they, shot well.

Thanks for the voice of experience reply.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I hate to put a number on someone else's gun.
Espically if I'm not looking at it in person.
But the way you describe it 800. Would be about the max I'd want to put towards it.
They were asking crazy money in my region for JM stamped older guns until Ruger started putting them out.
And while they are far from. The pawn shop prices I used to take for granted, they seem to be getting back closer to reality.
Since most 1963 rifles were Marauders that I hear of,that everyone thinks should start at 2k, my quest for a realistic priced birth year Marlin has been hard to realize.

I hate to put a number on someone else's gun.
Espically if I'm not looking at it in person.
But the way you describe it 800. Would be about the max I'd want to put towards it.
They were asking crazy money in my region for JM stamped older guns until Ruger started putting them out.
And while they are far from. The pawn shop prices I used to take for granted, they seem to be getting back closer to reality.
Since most 1963 rifles were Marauders that I hear of,that everyone thinks should start at 2k, my quest for a realistic priced birth year Marlin has been hard to realize.
I checked the blue book and in the condition I think it is, I'm guessing $600 is about what it's worth. They actually say $400 for 95% all the way to $625 for 100%. This is about 95-98% with some dings on the forend too. Interesting, the barrel roll mark says RC but it does have the plain straight stock, so I thought that's made it a Texan. Gun Broker adds about $100-200 to that, but then you have to pay their fees and deal with shipping. Like I said, I'll probably buy it myself but I want to be fair with the owner. If for some reason I do t buy it, I'll PM you pictures and we can go from there.

IMG_8673.png

IMG_8675.png

IMG_8676.jpeg

My wife was born in 63 also.

Out of curiosity what do you feel it's worth? I know that's a loaded question and I'm probably going to buy it myself. I tried the usual GunBroker research, and came up with anywhere from $600 to $2000. So on GB you can ask whatever you want, what it sells for is what matters. And the only ones selling are in the $600ish range. Local gun shops offer $400 but I can't really get a feel for what they're worth as there are only pistol grip 336's on the racks. The Texan is an odd duck in my opinion. Sort of an economy model when built, but with a dedicated following now due to the straight stock. Low production numbers but unless in mint condition it's not collectible. This one isn't mint and no box or paperwork, but not many rounds through it either.
The local gunshop wants to double their money. They pay $400 sell for 800. Thats how you keep a business open selling vintage and used guns. New guns have to be sold in large quantities to profit. 800 would be very fair for the straight stock 336rc in very good condition. Thats upper end price but fair.

Latest posts