a new project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

While looking at Ruger parts on one of the auction sites, I had a brain phart. Why not use a Charger barrel for the basis of a new 10-22 project. Pin/weld the muffler to the 10.5" barrel making it over 16" and whoop-de-doo I have a 16-17" suppressed 10-22 barrel. Utilize the Choate folding stock I dug up and the whole thing is about the same length as a take down but is ready to shoot w/o assembly.
Talk about a "bug out gun".

As long as the muzzle device is permanently attached(pinned and welded) it's good. According to the info I found, the overall length is measured with the stock extended. Some rough measuring indicates a folded length of 25"+/-.

"Has to be 26"+ in shortest shooting configuration. "
26" [as it is intended to be used with folding/collapsible stock extended] was the definition I read.

Aside from length, by permanently affixing the silencer to the barrel, can it still be cleaned? It seems like it would ruin the silencer. Couldn't sell it very easy at all.

9x19

Hunter
I think it depends on the silencer design...

If you go with a stacked baffle design, and you can still dis-assemble the silencer for cleaning, then I think you'd run into legal hassles, since the barrel wouldn't meet that 16" length requirement with only the end cap attached, but would still be capable of firing a round.

IF your silencer uses a mono core that is permanently attached to the barrel and you make 16" with that alone, then you may well be OK, since you'd only be removing the outer tube for cleaning.

"IF your silencer uses a mono core that is permanently attached to the barrel and you make 16" with that alone, then you may well be OK, since you'd only be removing the outer tube for cleaning."

That's the plan: 10.5" barrel + 7" mono-core - .5" interface = 16.5". The outer tube can be removed while the mono-core stays permanently attached to the barrel. This allows cleaning both bore and baffles.
The project is on hold since I didn't bid enough to own the Charger barrel. Maybe next time. FWIW:There's no "residual value" on Form 1 NFA items. They're built for personal use.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Why not just buy a charger with a threaded barrel, add a brace so you can shoulder the gun and purchase a removable can?

Mainly cause I thought I could buy a barrel for under $100 and besides that, no one locally has a Charger on the shelf.
Son bought a Charger "blem" (had a big ding on the barrel from the obnoxious gunlock thingy rubbing on it during shipping) but even that one cost $250 a couple months back. Add the widget that allows attaching the forearm brace and a decent brace and you've spent another $100 or more. I wouldn't spend $350-400 on the project. If I could find a reasonably priced Charger, I'd swap the complete barreled receiver into the Choate stock(zero added cost for that).

Project aborted(or at least delayed) due to cost/availability of Charger barrels. Decided I already have another option/candidate in the form of a lightweight 8" barrel 22lr AR "pistol" in the gun room. It's still an interesting pickup gun concept.

I received the barrel ordered from S&P and have the mono core ready to drill for the pin. It's just too hot in the corner of the pole barn to do precision work so project is on hold again. Weight with the muffler is just slightly less than the standard 18" 10/22 steel barrel.