Ruger 22/45 Lite Muddy Girl Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jjd79

Bearcat
I have a chance to purchase a Ruger 22/45 Lite Muddy Girl for a really good price. Problem is the color of the frame. Has anyone ever refinished, coated, or painted a frame like the one one on this pistol. I would like a basic color like black or OD green. I am just not sure what would work on polymer frame.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Yes, I did this grip frame and the magazine bases in O.D. green Dura-Coat. Has held up very well:

JoYm9d5l.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Some of today's Krylon coatings are mil rated. Much better than ten years ago.
Prep like a professional, get professional results.

Isn't that the latest fad in Glocks and other polymer frame guns? To have it Cerakoted some color other than black.

I see more and more places which do this these days, which of course drives down the price.

Kevin said:
Isn't that the latest fad in Glocks and other polymer frame guns? To have it Cerakoted some color other than black.

I see more and more places which do this these days, which of course drives down the price.

Yes, it may be considered a "fad", but what I find out from my customers is that they lean a bit like I do in that they are tired of all black guns. Again like me, it's not that they don't like a nicely blued firearm, but you just can't find that much any more. I explain it to them that to get back to the really nicely blued guns would cost the manufacturers both materials cost and time and that means money. Other than custom firearms manufacturers, the cost to do something like the old S&W blue or the Colt Royal Blue is prohibitive in both time and money and the big boys are now driven by profit margins.

Most of my customers lately are going with the darker browns, greys, greens and stainless/titanium/silver, along with 2 tone schemes for their semi autos, they typically leave the revolvers alone. Where they are going a bit wilder (like Zombie Green, reds, yellows/oranges) are on the AR's and short barrel shotguns (Shockwave, TAC-14, etc.). Many also want me to Cerakote the polymer stocks on the .22's they are buying. I do a lot of 10/22 and Ruger American Rimfire stocks that are the black polymer.

So maybe it is a "fad" but my Cerakoting business has steadily grown in the last 5 years.

Ron:
I didn't mean to belittle the business of Cerakoting firearms by using the term "fad." I just meant it seems to me Glock owners have lately been obsessed with customizing their Glocks. I had started to see it and then in the latest NRA magazine, they had an article about a custom Wilson Combat Glock pistol.

Also, I've seen more and more polymer framed pistols in the LGS which are not plain black anymore. Lots of Flat Dark Earth pistols and other colors. Well, like you said.

Plus, I know you have posted pictures of some of your work, and from what I can see, it's pretty darn nice stuff. I remember you had a service six which you cerakoted. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

I have an old model Bearcat, which was pitted pretty bad. But I was able to get it for a good price, and had it cerakoted. It now looks a whole lot nicer.

Anyway, sorry to get off track...

Kevin, your use of the term "fad" didn't belittle the Cerakoting business, mine and anyone else's. If the desire to have different color guns goes "out of style" in a few years that yes maybe it would have been considered a "fad"

I still have that Police Service Six, it was like your Bearcat, it was was abused and "put up wet". But I really like working and restoring guns like that so that maybe someone else will get some use out of it. I just need to bump it back up in the classifieds.

I don't think we derailed the thread that much :D