Scoping the Ruger Precision Rimfire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Picked up a Precision Rimfire and am in the process of setting it up. Those of you that have one, what scope did you put on it and how did it work with the 30 moa rail? Or, did you contact Ruger to get a 0 moa rail for it (I heard rumor that you could call them and they would send it to you). 30 moa seems , to me, to be a bit excessive, but I guess it depends on the scope and the distance you are going to ultimately shoot.

Any/all thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, and mine will not be all black when I get done with it (I'm tired of all black guns). :D I'll post before and after when I'm done.

Thanks.

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
Ron - I purchased a Precision Rimfire three days ago and went with a Cabela's Caliber Specific Rimfire scope. It has a bullet drop compensator reticle specific to the caliber.

I sighted in at 25 yards and am able to shoot out to 300 yards with the reticle.

I did use a cantilever scope mount - Leupold MK II IMS - to complete the installation. I normally run Leupold or Burris glass but Cabela's said this scope was a good choice for the Precision Rimfire because of the reticle. And for $99, I'm very satisfied with the scope.

I had no issue with the 30 moa base when zeroing the scope and the reticle compensates for shooting at any reasonable distance.

Enjoy the new toy!

seems counter productive to use a 30 MOA base on a 100 yard cartridge. Guess some folks have lofty expectations.
The trajectory compensating reticle is a far better option IMHO. I just bought a Nikon 22lr specific compensating reticle scope. It's nearly a necessity when shooting sub-sonics @ 100 yards with a 25 yard zero.

gunzo

Hunter
Many shooters these days, are playing, plinking, competing at longer distances with the LR. It's fun.

With a 100 yard zero, a CCI mini mag needs 58 MOA of elevation adjustment to get to 400 yds. A lot of scopes don't have enough adjustment left after zeroing. A 20 or 30 moa rail gives the erector much needed help..

I've done some long range shooting with the 22LR. Back then, you just used crosshair elevation and made the best of it. A five gallon bucket @ 1/4 mile is pretty challenging when you have to aim at a treetop in the fence row behind the target.

DocGlock

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
I have one of these on order. I've not seen one in person, and after some research, I still cannot figure out the means to mount a bi-pod.

For those that own one, what's the bi-pod mounting provision? I see no sling stud, and Rugers catalog says the sling mount is recessed. Or is the forend threaded for a bottom rail?

Thanks.

I don't own one, but, according to Ruger, it has M-LOK slots, so just put something like this on the bottom and mount any picatinny bi-pod you want.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMVNHJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might want to be fairly gentle with that handguard and whatever you add to it. From what I've seen the interface and method of attachment isn't robust.