Return of the Charger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barrett93

Single-Sixer
Browsing the Facebook gun pages I ran across a post that said a distributor accidentally sent these Charger e-flyers out prematurely. Supposedly they are supposed to be announced Monday. I reposted the pictures to the "Ruger Fans" page on Facebook. I got a private message from a man that said he worked for Ruger and that he couldn't post it publicly but he would tell me off the record that they are currently producing these new Chargers. He seemed pretty legitimate to me. However, I guess we will all see soon enough if it is true. Just thought I'd share.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is interesting, especially the Takedown model.

Seems I sensed a lot of unappreciation of the Charger when it was being made. I own one, and I've had a blast with it.

Incredibly accurate off a bench or card table with the bi-pod, and it works quite well for controlling epidemics of alfalfa-robbing ground squirrels.

If this resurrection is true, maybe its second wind will allow folks to give it another chance, and realize they've missed out on a really nifty toy. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

9x19

Hunter
The 15 round mag is interesting... and the stock profile is better than the original as well. I'll be adding one to mine.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Why not a full laminate instead of the plastic grip? Understand the take-down, and I suppose different enough from the original to be of interest. Of course reason is cheaper to produce, but not a very pleasing to my eye.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Rocdoc said:
Why not a full laminate instead of the plastic grip? Understand the take-down, and I suppose different enough from the original to be of interest. Of course reason is cheaper to produce, but not very pleasing to my eye.

longspurr

Single-Sixer
Guys
Help me understand this gun. Its not a pistol, its not a rifle. Its not as easy to shoot as a rifle – because you can only use 2 hands. It looks way to clumsy to be a good pistol. How do you carry the thing?

Aside from shooting it out a car window, what do you do with it??

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Interesting. Don't care much for the new grip. Happy I got a couple originals. Takedown is tempting. As for the mags very simple reason that I am well aware of. Try shooting a original charger from the bench with the supplied bipod and a 25 rounder, not gonna happen. The mag will hit the bench before the bipod.

mike7mm08 said:
Interesting. Don't care much for the new grip.

I guess I could take it or leave it. I have the original Charger stock, and although the stock is extremely functional, I believe it to be grotesque. So the new stock with the plastic grip is not an issue to me. Sounds like the Charger is somewhat unknown to newer members of this forum, so I'll post a couple photos of my older one...

longspurr said:
Guys
Help me understand this gun. Its not a pistol, its not a rifle. Its not as easy to shoot as a rifle – because you can only use 2 hands. It looks way to clumsy to be a good pistol. How do you carry the thing?

Aside from shooting it out a car window, what do you do with it??

Wow. Shooting it out of a car window? Never thought of that.

If a guy really can't imagine a purpose, I doubt if he will grasp the concept or ever have the need. And that's not being sarcastic.

An accurate photo of this gun should include the bi-pod, which is included with the gun.

Long range single shot pistols have been around quite a while. The TC Contender really made them popular and in vogue. A handgun with a built in bipod, all ya need is a card table and a 5-gallon bucket to sit on. A mechanical shooting rest is not required, sandbags are not required, and unbelievable accuracy can be had from this easy to pack gun. Or a guy could use a fence post or tree stump if he was too far away from a vehicle to have a card table handy. I guess many of us enjoy the challenge of long range pistol shooting, either at targets, or at game.

Now, enter the Charger. A .22 rimfire. If you read my post earlier in the thread, you'd see these guns are very effective, and very fun at controlling varmints, or at shooting targets at what would be considered rifle distances.

Shooters are constantly changing what could previously be considered the norm. Yep, I shoot rifles. And I shoot handguns. Sometimes I shoot free handed. Sometimes I shoot from a bench or leaned up against a tree. I could probably do everything I ever needed to do, firearms wise, with just three guns, but I like challenges, and I like variety. So I own a large assortment of guns, enjoying them all.

WAYNO.

I have had both a 2x6 scope and a red dot on my Charger. With the bi-pod and the red dot it is fast and accurate for plinking cans to paper targets to hunting. I usually use the red dot for squirrels w/o the bi-pod and use shooting sticks. I use the scope for targets out to 100 yards and prairie dogs way beyond that. Mine likes CCI Stingers and Federal American Eagle HP's the best.

But would they make a gun not legal for sale in California? I can't say to many nice things about the grips, or that big ugly magazine. Is that meant to be a different style than the 10/22? Or will the magazines be interchangeable? Sorry, I'll pass.

Wow. We're really over thinking all of this.

It's a 10/22. 10/22's accept the original 10-round rotary magazine. They accept the BX-25, 25-round magazine. They will accept this shortened BX-15 magazine. They'll accept any other after-market 10/22 magazine.

And I suppose if a guy hates these grips enough, since it's an A-2 pistol grip, the gun parts catalogues are full of A-2 grip replacements.

Not every gun Ruger makes is legal in California. That's no secret, and Ruger is not gonna attempt making every gun in their catalogue California legal. Nor is it legal in Massachusetts. This should not be a deal breaker for most of us.

WAYNO.

Well you must be right. I didn't really think about the replacement stocks or aftermarket parts available. I know Kidd stocks replacement charger barrels. And since I don't live in California.....

Is this new or just an Internet rumor though?