Ruger GP-100 5inch barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jubei

Bearcat
Hello Forum!

I just purchased a NIB GP-100;and it is a 5" barrel. I didn't see that length on the Ruger website...anyone know when/why it was made?

Also, would the 5" be decent for hunting?

Thanks!

dentboy

Bearcat
I purchased one recently and was wondering the same thing. I'm also curious as to what holster best fits the 5 inch barrel, those made for the 4 or 6 inch models.

GP100man

Buckeye
Hello fellas & WELCOME toRuger Forum,com
the 5" gps are special runs the last ones for Davidson`s

check your local laws `bout huntin with em , some states have power requirments & barrel length requirments

Jubei

Bearcat
Ah ok GP100man thanks!

About the hunting, I was wondering more about the performance aspect being an inch shorter than the 6inch that I was going to purchase.

GP100man

Buckeye
the average revolver losses 35-65 fps/ inch of barrel so % wise not much until ya start talking inches.

i`ve only held a 5" 1 time & to me it was a good balance of weight for the GP100.

the first deer i shot with a handgun was with a model 10 4" with standard rn ammo , our deer run `bout 130-170 on the hoof here .

given time & good shot placement theres not a deer walkin that won`t succome to a 158gr boolit.

most of my handgun kills have been no further than 30 yrds., any further i feel i owe the animal a larger caliber.

my 2 cent worth

Jubei

Bearcat
The 5" really feels nicely balanced. I like it more than the 6". Where I live, there is no minimum barrel length from a handgun. I have seen a few states (Maryland and Wyoming) that have a 6" minimum on handgun barrel length.

I was thinking about using 180g for deer, and small hogs.

maxpress

Buckeye
the deer or bg wont notice a thing if its an inch shorter barrel.

oh god, ive been hit....its getting dark...and.....HEY wait a minute that wasnt a 6inch barrel. well better toddle off. ok thats my daily alotment of sacrcasm. neat gun have fun

Knuckles

Buckeye
maxpress":3gbj2ggg said:
the deer or bg wont notice a thing if its an inch shorter barrel.

oh god, ive been hit....its getting dark...and.....HEY wait a minute that wasnt a 6inch barrel. well better toddle off. ok thats my daily alotment of sacrcasm. neat gun have fun

Yeah!... wwwhat he said. :p

dentboy

Bearcat
I like the balance of the 5 inch GP100 a little better than the 6 inch. I also like the small amount of velocity and heft that it is added when compared to the 4 inch barreled models. In Arkansas 4 inches is the minimum barrel length for hunting.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I bought one back in Jan through Davidson. As far as I'm concerned some of the best money I ever spent. I love that gun. Its a sweetheart to shoot.

dentboy

Bearcat
I emailed Davidson's a Thursday and they got back with me yesterday. They say that there were only 500 made in the last run, but that the VP could order more. I really enjoy browsing all the Davidson's exclusive special runs.
What grips are y'all using on your GP100s? I couldn't get used to the palm swell of the Hogue Monogrip. I went with the traditional rubber grip with the laminated insert. In my opinion it looks sharp. More importantly though it's comfortable.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Jubei":wlnwpn5v said:
The 5" really feels nicely balanced. I like it more than the 6". Where I live, there is no minimum barrel length from a handgun. I have seen a few states (Maryland and Wyoming) that have a 6" minimum on handgun barrel length.

I was thinking about using 180g for deer, and small hogs.

Just for clarification, Wyoming does not require a specific barrel length, but requires certain cartridge specifications that generally make the .357 illegal in Wyoming. Although they say you can use any cartridge of 35/100 diameter, it must produce 500 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yds. The .357 mag might do this in a rifle, but I don't think it will qualify in a revolver no matter what the barrel length is. I think you will find the 41 mag is about the bottom for handgun hunting in Wyo, infact I have done that with a 4 5/8" SBH in both 41 and 44 mag.

Latest posts