5.5 Stainless 17 HMR Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Seems like "rare" Ruger guns like this and others are rare until the next batch hits the distributors. :lol:

There were the Bisley 45 Convertibles, the Shootist "mistake" or non-mistakes, Hank's guns and ..... others. (??)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
So for all the info here and from Lipseys and Davidsons (accounting for under 50 ever at Davidsons/Prescott and well under 70 at Lipseys), the "reference" says there were more? (Hutchman's post said 105 made in 2009 per the nice lady at Ruger, but didn't say which length)
We're talking stainless only, right?
Not trying to make hay, just trying to understand if it's a $400 gun or a higher value due to obvious very low numbers.
Even more aggravating are the two different topstrap stamps - the "muzzle-up" stamp and the "muzzle-down" stamp...

BTW, the ballyhoo'ed "shootist mistake" guns and some others were not production, rather a special order, we're talking about production guns or cleanup run here (stainless 17HMR guns).

chet15

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
So for all the info here and from Lipseys and Davidsons (accounting for under 50 ever at Davidsons/Prescott and well under 70 at Lipseys), the "reference" says there were more? (Hutchman's post said 105 made in 2009 per the nice lady at Ruger, but didn't say which length)
We're talking stainless only, right?
Not trying to make hay, just trying to understand if it's a $400 gun or a higher value due to obvious very low numbers.
Even more aggravating are the two different topstrap stamps - the "muzzle-up" stamp and the "muzzle-down" stamp...

BTW, the ballyhoo'ed "shootist mistake" guns and some others were not production, rather a special order, we're talking about production guns or cleanup run here (stainless 17HMR guns).

On value with anything, it all depends on how many people are looking for the variation at any one moment. With the thread on this it is also obvious that there are a lot of people out there who don't even know what it is, so creating demand for it is tougher in this case.
Also, very low numbers doesn't mean much when talking New Models apparently. There was some pretty good demand for these when they came out, but a lot of people have pretty much forgotten about them since. Believe me, I've always hoped that some of this recent stuff would get a lot of attention from new collectors as well as the older collectors, but that just doesn't seem to be happening.
We need more collectors out there everybody!!!!
Chet15

longgunnm

Bearcat
Chet15,
I should have added a comment months ago...I did get correct 'red' eagle wood grips for this revolver. They aren't installed yet and it hasn't been shot either. Have the opportunity to add a blue 17h2 cylinder but haven't yet. That ought to be very nice. I appreciate you advising the grip information. Glad to see this thread still alive!
Mark

I just re-read your post. Maybe I didn't get the correct grip. Probably should have been 'black' eagles.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Late hit: No, Chet, I believe the original grips were the bright red "rosewood" panels or the red laminated panels with the red eagle medallions. Mine all came that way.
Also the stainless guns appear to have a much better polish if not the old high-gloss polished finish all-over.
Mine have both versions of the top strap stamp; muzzle-up and muzzle-down.
I'll probably sell/swap the longer barreled 17HMRs but I still haven't found production numbers that agree. Still cannot find over three hundred made per factory help.

rayman1968

Bearcat
Hello all. Newbie to the forum here. I found this thread through Google while searching out .17 HMR Stainless info.
I'm the proud new owner this week of two unfired 6.5" barrel versions of the .17 HMR. I lucked upon a dealer in the Dallas area that has had two in stock since 2009. I've read all six pages of this post and haven't seen one tidbit of info that I would like to pass along. According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, these 5.5" and 6.5" stainless versions were only produced between 2009-2011 and "not more than 200-300 of each model produced".

If you bought one and still have it, hang on to it! Values are going up. If you do a search of completed auctions on Gunbroker.com you will find two results for 2014. One 5.5" sold for $705 in January and one 6.5" sold in March for $800.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
rayman1968 said:
I'm the proud new owner this week of two unfired 6.5" barrel versions of the .17 HMR.

Very cool. I agree they are pretty hard to find and rare in numbers.Tell me, are the top strap Eagle stamps on yours made as "muzzle up" or muzzle down" (as-viewed)?