RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 pm 
Bearcat

For what it's worth, my serial # is 573-864xx.

Since the weather will be nice tomorrow, I may go run some more factory ammo through it, just to check, although at $ 28.95 a box I hate to do it. Shooting factory ammo just bores me, but I have to admit the full power .327 loads are fun.

exile

Last edited by exile on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:44 pm 
Bearcat

Shamrock wrote:
So what is the latest conclusion? Has Ruger solved the problem(s) and now producing well functioning guns without the earlier problems? Has anyone purchased a .327 Federal SP101 lately that has not has the extraction problems?

Nope not yet. I bought one about 3 months ago and it had the same extraction problems with the .327 mag only as listed in this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am 
Single-Sixer

That's wierd cuz all 327's are shot and tested for extraction before they leave the factory. Does your extractor have guide pins? What is the test fire date on your gun?

Post subject: SP101 327 magnum
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:56 pm 
Bearcat

I bought an sp101 327 magnum sept 15, 2011, serial 574-71xx. The first rounds through it were 32 SW longs with no issues. I finally found american eagle 327 100 grain online, and the empty cases would not extract. I sent an online service request to Ruger and the response said there were "no problems associated with this firearm". I was going to send it back as recommended by Ruger but decided to try it again so I could at least include spent cases in the package. Surprise- the cases extracted with no problem. I fired more of the am. eagles and some Speer gold dot 115 grain hollow points. I then shot more 32 SW longs, and more am. eagles and the gun still performed fine. I did notice the am. eagle cases appear scorched but the speers are not.
I hope Ruger figured it out because I just bought about $300 of ammo.
If I would have seen this forum before buying I would have bought the 357.

Post subject: Re: SP101 327 magnum
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 pm 
Hunter

tgs33 wrote:
I bought an sp101 327 magnum sept 15, 2011, serial 574-71xx. The first rounds through it were 32 SW longs with no issues. I finally found american eagle 327 100 grain online, and the empty cases would not extract. I sent an online service request to Ruger and the response said there were "no problems associated with this firearm". I was going to send it back as recommended by Ruger but decided to try it again so I could at least include spent cases in the package. Surprise- the cases extracted with no problem. I fired more of the am. eagles and some Speer gold dot 115 grain hollow points. I then shot more 32 SW longs, and more am. eagles and the gun still performed fine. I did notice the am. eagle cases appear scorched but the speers are not.
I hope Ruger figured it out because I just bought about $300 of ammo.
If I would have seen this forum before buying I would have bought the 357.

After shooting the 32 S&W's, did you clean the chamber really well before firing the 327's? A ring of carbon will form in the chamber just above the case mouth, longer cases will get stuck on this after firing if not sufficiently cleaned.

Charlie

Post subject: GP 100 327 mag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 am 
Bearcat

Please see the post by Charlie, replying to mine. That is exactly what happened in my SP101. I shot the 32 SWL/LRN first, and then the 327 mag cases stuck in the cylinder. The next time to the range I shot the 327 first without problems. The third time I shot the 32's first and had the same stuck case issue, but took a bore brush with me and reemed the cylinder. The 327's came out fine then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:21 pm 
Buckeye

Took my new Sp101 .327 mag to the range this weekend for the 1st time. The gun was test fired 7/13/11 from factory. Shot .32 SW long, Speer 115g .327 mag, Federal .327 mag 85g, and American Eagle .327 mag 100g. I shot these in a variety of orders and they all shot and ejected perfectly. The gun functions beautifully, this is an awesome round for this sized gun...very pleased.

NRA | CCW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:34 pm 
Bearcat

Mine has had no issues.
I find the federal(AE) 100 gr loads to be very hot. More so than any other
round i have fired in this gun.I could see why there have been extraction issues from this round although i have had none. i reload my practice rounds.
My preferred carry round is the 115 gold dots by Speer.
These were the most accurate to date but not as hot as the AE.
All In all very pleased with this gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
Bearcat

Varmonter,
Those grips are beautiful. Where did they come from? I have a 101 in 32 H&R and have had no problems. I find it strange (unless I missed it) that no official Ruger rep has chimed in on this. After all it's their revolver, and a website named after them. I find that totally inconceivable.
DBillings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:03 am 
Single-Sixer

>> no official Ruger rep has chimed in on this.

I am not surprised that Ruger has not replied in an official way. While I am convinced that Ruger personnel read this board I am also sure that they do not want to become involved in any flame war or something else that could be quoted as company policy.

Any statements made concerning product defects would be very sensitive legally to Ruger. They could be the basis for a civil lawsuit, especially in the firearms manufacturing industry.

Just about the only legally proper response can be is "send the firearm to us and we will examine it and repair as needed". In the same way you will notice that they only state the parts replaced after a repair ... never why the parts were replaced.

The way they handle this subject area is correctly done IMHO. If we didn't live in a society that likes to sue at the drop of a hat they could be more communicative.

Cordite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 am 
Bearcat

I have a SP101 .327 (sitting right beside me) that I have sent about 1000 rounds through. The only time I had a problem was after I had used a box of Prvi Partizan 32 S&W long followed by Federal .327 The problem was that the lead from the 32 S&W caked so badly that I could not eject the .327 All I did to fix it (after a screwdriver tapped the .327 out) was run a .32 bore snake through and I was back at it.

Based on that, for me, the problem is the ammo I shot, not the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Bearcat

My SP101 327 Mag with serial # 574-32XXX is heading back for a look see tomorrow. They are sending a UPS call tag tonight. My SN is past the range listed earlier in this post so I have to wonder. Gun test fired at the factory in Feb of 2010. Took it out to the range yesterday for the first time and plunked 6 rounds of American Eagle 100 gr JSP's in the holes and touched 'em off. Very stiff extraction (had to tap the ejector rod on the edge of the bench to get them out and one case was split from about 1/8 inch from the case mouth to just a little above the web area of the case. :shock: That pretty much ended the shooting session. Curious to see what if anything they find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:52 pm 
Bearcat

Here's a follow-up on a post in another thread I couldn't find. My sp101 327 blew debris into my face when shooting 327 ammo. I sent it back to Ruger this month and was just told they are going to scrap the gun and replace it with a new one. They said the problem was "excessive cycling". I know there are others who have had the same problem. I urge you to call Ruger and send the gun back. Sounds like a serious safety issue to me. If I didn't have about 600 rounds of ammo I would try to get the 357.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 pm 
Single-Sixer

>> told they are going to scrap the gun and replace it with a new one

The new replacement SP-101 will have a new serial number so you may have to go through your local dealer and pony up the transfer fee.

I have not heard of a problem called "excessive cycling". Maybe one of the gunsmiths who surf through here can explain that one.

I had the exact same issue with my SP-101 in .327 Fed Mag. I also returned my gun to Ruger and it was returned with a note that said "ADJ CYLINDER". Not sure what that means. I have not had a chance to test it since the was returned to me.

Cordite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:56 pm 
Bearcat

Just got my SP-101 back today. Apparently my cylinder was a problem because they replaced it. Looking forward to taking it out a running a box of hot stuff thru it to check the extraction now. One complaint is that the single action mode is exremely gritty now. It was smooth as glass when it went in.

Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next