Any advantage to steel ejector shroud?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmw

Bearcat
I have a 1976 Blackhwk .357 with the aluminun shroud. I recently had a newer exact model with the steel shroud. It is gone now. I sort of liked the front heavy feel of it. Would it be a sin to install the steel shroud? I presume the only advantage would be recoil reduction, but I hesitate at changing the stock configuration. Opinions?

It's your gun. Do what you like. Keep the original aluminum piece for when/if you sell it in case that's an issue with a potential buyer. :mrgreen:

FYI . . . https://shopruger.com/4-Single-Action-Blued-Steel-Ejector-Housing/productinfo/90178/

:wink:

Rclark

Hunter
The only disadvantage I've found is on a couple of my guns, the steel ejector housing tends to 'fly off' the gun. When I changed over to the alloy housings the ejector ejecting problem went away. Nothing I did made 'em stay on. One of the guns as I recall was a .44 Magnum. Note I have steel (and like it) on other SAs and they stay on no problem :) . Hope it works for you. They are 'nicer' looking than the alloy for sure.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
The only disadvantage I've found is on a couple of my guns, the steel ejector housing tends to 'fly off' the gun. When I changed over to the alloy housings the ejector ejecting problem went away. Nothing I did made 'em stay on. One of the guns as I recall was a .44 Magnum. Note I have steel (and like it) on other SAs and they stay on no problem :) . Hope it works for you. They are 'nicer' looking than the alloy for sure.

I endured a number of flying ejector rod assemblies. Then one day I buttered the contact surface of the ejector rod housing with blue Loc-Tite before assembling. No more flying ejector assemblies!

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rclark said:

For them to fly off, the screw must get loose and come out first.

I've never had that problem even on my 44 Mags.
On older models I replace the housing screw with the newer current screw with the red locking insert in the threads. Also old screws with the red insert but that have been screwed in and out many times.

Ruger will send them to you free of charge: (336) 949-5200

Rclark

Hunter
You was/is lucky.

I've got quite a few Ruger SA and there is a good percentage that the ejector housing screw would loosen out of the box. Blue loctite seemed to solve most of them. I've tried the fishing line too. Bought a pack of screws from Brownells... Same problem. Red loctite I just never felt comfortable with on a handgun... I don't mind the aluminum if necessary, as my guns are working/fun guns, not safe queens.

tom black

Blackhawk
If the Good Lord had wanted aluminum ERH on a single action revolver then Sam Colt would have used them. They are right up there with those hideous plastic white line spacers you see on some rifles.
Tom

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:

Not so, my Friend! The threaded shank is usually left intact in that threaded hole. The head of that screw goes with the housing!

Bob Wright

rmw

Bearcat
I just installed the Ruger steel shroud, and used the original screw with red sealer still on it. This was because the new screw had a slightly narrower slot in the head, and I lacked the proper screw driver. I de-greased the threads on each end, and applied blue lock tight. I much prefer the slight change in balance, and really like losing the rose colored hue of the original. I dropped the darn spring off the rod, and couldn't really see a larger end, which I read should be toward the frame. But all seems to work properly. Very happy!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob Wright said:
Hondo44 said:

Not so, my Friend! The threaded shank is usually left intact in that threaded hole. The head of that screw goes with the housing!

Bob Wright

Ah but you didn't say the screw sheared. Yes that's the other method to make housings fly! There was an advantage to the old barrels with the stud! Although sometimes the screw sheared with those as well IIRC because of the #6 screw instead of the new #8 screw used w/o the stud.

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
I have 1976 - 1977 SBH and convertible 357 BH where I replaced the alloy ERH, matches the frame color much better. On my BH I also aquired and installed a SBH steel Dragoon grip and hammer. Feels much better in the hand.