How to check out an S&W Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAJohn

Hunter
He missed a few things about his check as you have to to pull back on the cylinder release to cock the hammer when the cylinder is rotated out. Some actual numbers on tolerances would also have been useful.

The double action timing check is critical. I once had a 1972 pinned and recessed model 27 8 3/8" bought new which would shave lead when fired double action. Even in the hand fitted era, with a top of the line S&W, you could have problems.

John

powder smoke said:
Nice good stuff to know most is common sense.
Only own 2 double actions out 12 or so handguns. My bad? Love my single actions. ps

PS, nothing wrong with Single actions, but go NOIR, and check out some of the old S&W Snubbies 2" or even up to 4". There were some nice guns back in the day. No locks. I think you could get into it. I started with S&W's back in the early 70's. I had several of them over the years. As time went on I got into Rugers. Pretty much locked into them, then recently have been seeing some more S&W's that the old Detectives, and Private eyes carried from 1925 through the 50's. There were some nice guns out there. Don't think I've given up on my Rugers though, I just expanded my interests.

Latest posts