New to me blued ROA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Got it last week, took it apart to get familiar with it. Well wouldn't you know, the base pin assembly just came apart Huh? Thanks to YouTube I got it back together. So today after EVOK training, I decided to shoot my new acquisition. I had been reading and knew you could destroy the base pin trying to load it. I almost did! I bent it a little, and the .457 Speer lead ball didn't budge! I used 25 grs of Pyrodex RS. Since I didn't have an external loader, I used a rubber mallet and bullet starter from my ML rifle. Yay it worked fine! At twelve feet the first shot was a bullseye, after moving back they were to the right two inches! Yep, I need to shoot it more. It rides well in a holster I picked up years ago, and just sat in my holster bin. It doesn't have a flap, but if I wear it under a coat the ROA will be protected. Anyway, I am going to enjoy my play pretty! Of course I cleaned it well after the short session.
gramps

G2

Hunter
They will bend and break if there used to load WITHOUT having them in the locked position.
Many get the loading lever/ basepin assembly and forget the last step of turning the Basepin cross bolt lock, then try to load, it pulls up just a bit, and then bends,,,,
It breaks when you try to straitened it. :roll:

IF it's all in there as designed, it's works just fine.

FWIW; Replacements are somewhat difficult to find and usually run ~$65 +/-.

G2 said:
They will bend and break if there used to load WITHOUT having them in the locked position.
Many get the loading lever/ basepin assembly and forget the last step of turning the Basepin cross bolt lock, then try to load, it pulls up just a bit, and then bends,,,,
It breaks when you try to straitened it. :roll:

IF it's all in there as designed, it's works just fine.

FWIW; Replacements are somewhat difficult to find and usually run ~$65 +/-.
Thanks, I never saw or heard of that last step, got to try it! Yep, I got the anti seize grease, and use it on my rifle, now the ROA.
gramps

How did the old timers keep their BP revolvers from corroding? How long did they leave them loaded, before firing, cleaning, and reloading? Brass cases sure were a boon!
gramps

daveg.inkc said:
Just turn slotted pin clockwise to lock basepin. CounterCW to free basepin.
Forgive me I am mechanically challenged. I have the OA in my lap. The base pin is attached to a ramming lever. Neither of them turn that I can see or accomplish. Up an down yes, side to side no.
gramps

Rewatched Ruger tech tips, they do show the retaining screw for the base-pin in a real quickie gloss over. No mention to be sure it is locked before loading!!! Thanks guys!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PjzzEB1236g&NR=1
gramps

Latest posts