What Would Make a RH Shoot All Over ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

henry-b

Bearcat
Hello
What would make a 7" RRH shoot 12-14" groups at 15 yds ?
I've used a bore-light and the barrel looks fine.
The cyl isn't the tightest but it's not -that- loose.
I know how to shoot...have grouped all 6 in 14" at 200yds with iron sights using a BH not too long ago.
Rounds are all bought handloads...I trust them, and used the same for above.
Seems to me the bullet HAS to go down the barrel, and is hopefully spinning, and then it'll go straight...right ?
How loose does the lockup have to be to cause this ? And why ?
How shot out does a barrel have to be to cause this ?
The RH doesn't appear to be all that used either.
Can I shoot a few rnds into water and measure the lands ?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

I'd try .....

1. are sites tight
2. use factory new ammo
3. shoot from a rest
4. have a buddy shoot it too

Then call Ruger if problem continues.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Lead bullets or jacketed? RH's often have very tight cylinder throats and if that's the case they can shoot lead bullets into a pattern instead of a group.

Also as others have stated try different ammo. Just because a load shoots well in one gun does not mean it will in all.

Dan

Rclark

Hunter
12-14" groups at 15 yds ?
That is very excessive alright! Yikes! Most noobs could shoot a group much better than that at that short range shooting one handed! Something is obviously very wrong. 'Sights' (not sites) front and rear would be my first check. No obvious wiggle/play? Barrel has grooves? Barrel is for 44, not .45 ? No heavy leading? barrel doesn't have a bulge in it? Crown is nice and straight? Might want to slug the barrel checking for constrictions. Tight throats can be a problem, but not usually that much of a problem. What I am saying is ... hard to say what the problem is! You say you trust the ammo (assume then used them before), so that probably isn't it. But never say never.

Shotter11

Bearcat
What is the load you are using? Also, use a straight edge off the top strap and check to make sure the barrel is threaded square to the frame.

maxima2

Bearcat
I've never seen a Ruger 44 mag that would not shoot Hornady 240 grain XTP's into good groups.
Try a box of Hornady ammo loaded with them and see what happens.

wwb

Hunter
Is it stainless or blue? I seem to recall there being a problem with the stainless guns..... a barrel constriction where it was screwed into the frame. The result was that the bullet got squeezed down, and was "loose" for the rest of the trip down the barrel, resulting in really poor accuracy.

henry-b

Bearcat
Thx for the suggestions...
Hunter - Stainless...have never see a blued RH in 44mag.
Your info seems most plausable so far. How to check this ?
Re "having a buddy shoot it", & "shoot from rest" see line starting with "I know..."
Sights not loose. Had a scope on it, took it off as it was so awful shooting, iron sights (screws) is working fine for sights as is, but it just WON'T SHOOT so far.
Have used 1-2 types of ammo but will try Horny XTP next time :)

Seems like the 'small throat' may be the culprit. Where is Linda L when you need her? :)

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I bought a nib RH 44mag back around 1990/1992. Blued 7.5" bbl scope model.
It wouldn't shoot good groups, not as bad as yours but 6"/8" at 25yrds.
Tried all mixes of bullets and powders with the same results.
I wound up trading it for a BH 45colt at a gun show. If I had it to do all over again I would have sent it back to Ruger to be fixed. But I was young and dumb and this was before the internet.
I wound up buying another used Blued RH 44mag, Same model that had a Burris 2x. Now this one would shoot lights out. But I needed cash and sold it for $500.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
You have me convinced the gun will not shoot. I would try to find some sort of range rod or improvised range rod and check to see if the cylinder is aligned with the bore. I would drop bullets in the throats and see how they are. I would feel the bore and see if it is badly constricted. I would inspect the bore with a light. I would really look at the muzzle crown. Past that I do not know what could be the problem. Any signs of bullet shaving? Catching a bullet might not be a bad idea. When my guns have not shot well not has always just been 4 or 5 inches and the culprit has always been the ammo or loose sights.

cas6969

Buckeye
"Generally speaking" (of course there are always exceptions) 44 RH throats are usually pretty good. Of course yours could be one of those exceptions. Barrel choke is probably just as likely, if not more so in a 44.

henry-b

Bearcat
I have figured out that I can put a bore-light down the front, and peer down the barrel at the same time, and see a lot. I can rotate the cyl back and forth, but am not sure how many degrees might be too much. Any ideas ? 1 dgree ? 10 ? 20 ?

hittman

Staff member
Send it to Ruger.

They'll tell you if it was NOT in spec and fix it free.

Or, they'll put 6 rounds through it and tell you it's a you problem.

henry-b

Bearcat
Well...that may be the thing...not worried abt the 2nd part there. I'll try different ammo, but suspect the cyl may be loose.