480 Ruger in a Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akmtnrunner

Bearcat
It seems to me that Ruger could tap into a market by chambering their existing Redhawk with a 4.5-5" barrel in a 480 Ruger. Anyone agree or disagree? And yes, this is a bear defense weapon; which as fantastical as the situation is, most of these big bore revolvers are popular for.

With the Redhawk being just as strong as the Super Redhawk and just about equal cylinder size, wouldn't said combination have the best of both worlds? Beautiful aesthetics, and superior terminal performance to a 44 mag, lower blast and recoil (yet arguably better short range performance) compared to a 454, enough barrel to get close to its full potential, and in a size that is actually reasonable to carry in bear country.

I have the Bisley and the Alaskan. So for me to buy one… it would have to be "in the middle." 4" wouldn't be that much different from the Alaskan. I have a Redhawk 5.5" in .41 Mag and stainless and it is a fine gun. That gun in .480 would be tempting.

If you are stuck on the 480, consider the Ruger Alaskan. I have one of those and they are nice. I also have the Ruger Bisley and that's a nice gun. But I see the Redhawk being a custom job.
No problem with the Redhawk at all, but I don't know if Ruger is going to do it.

akmtnrunner

Bearcat
Varminterror said:
CraigC said:
Would rather see an SRH with a RH barrel.

Here here...

You know, that's pretty much what I am looking for, said differently.

I just might pull the trigger on the Alaskan but it's hard to get passed the barrel that is almost wider than it is long.

4" Redhawk would be nice, but the Super Red's action and grip frame would make it much sweeter. If double action use is your intentions then other than the better grips option of the Super would be about all yer giving up.

I've already talked to Bowen,, and 480 conversion on a 44 Alaskan is in my future,, I just gotta recover from all molds(3), dies, caliber conversion kit, Ultradot, mounts n rings, brass, and revolver adding a 327 Federal caliber to the cave last week,,, oh ya and the Single Six 22 LR and the die set for it!

olesj

Bearcat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qFIDZf-TlM&feature=youtu.be

Maybe we'll know more after shot show. Look at about 50 secs in... could be a 5 shot .480 Redhawk.

~Jason

djw54

Single-Sixer
olesj said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qFIDZf-TlM&feature=youtu.be

Maybe we'll know more after shot show. Look at about 50 secs in... could be a 5 shot .480 Redhawk.

~Jason

My guess is that Jeff is holding an 8-shot .357; I think I can see three notches on the one side of the smooth cylinder.

Unfortunately you are probably right,, the 480 would be a big surprise, and highly doubt they would bring the 480 to market without the rubber grips, even with the solid backtstrap, a 480 would be a hand full with the small wood grip's he's showing.

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
wildcatter said:
Unfortunately you are probably right,, the 480 would be a big surprise, and highly doubt they would bring the 480 to market without the rubber grips, even with the solid backtstrap, a 480 would be a hand full with the small wood grip's he's showing.

Definitely agree. The rubber grips soak up the recoil very well and make what would be a painful and difficult to shoot handgun very shootable.