Just unexpectedly bought a Security Six at auction HOME NOW!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
4" blued heavy barrel with box and papers. Saw it on GB this morning with an approaching close time and placed a bid before heading to work, not expecting to win. Did, though, for $399 plus shipping.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/656567172

I couldn't read the serial number. Based on the box and features, can anyone tell me the approximate date of birth? Is there much of a difference between a "heavy barrel" and "standard"?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Rob

Without the S/N it really can't be determined when it was built/shipped. However, it has the scalloped recoil shield so that would make it a mid 80's model. The heavy barrel differs from the standard barrel as it has no taper, it is the same diameter from the muzzle to the frame. From the pictures it looks to be in pretty good condition and you got it for not a bad price. It's a keeper and will last you and your heirs for many years.

I've actually got some that way (although I did want the guns so it wasn't unexpected other than the price (low)). Saw ones that I wanted, put a bid on that I would go, expecting them to go way higher. I guess the other bidders didn't know what I knew about the guns and I got them for a price quite a bit below what I expected them to go for and actually they went lower than my max bid. Sometimes the blind squirrel finds the nut. :D

hittman

Staff member
I agree with Ron ..... gotta be pretty close to the end. Scalloped recoil shield, insert in front site, yellow box, etc.

Well worth $400 ...... the gun alone will bring $350 - $375 around here.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I've never had a gun load and fire itself, but I've had plenty that forced their way into my gun safe.

rob

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Brought it home today and it is as nice as it looked in the pics. The back strap has some wear that seems consistent with being in a holster and getting some wear to the exposed bit, but not bad at all. The trigger feels pretty darn good, both DA and SA.

Looks like it was born in 1982 with SN 158-644xx.

Rob

Because of our wonderful legislature, Sixes are almost impossible to find in CA and it will only get worse as time goes on until we get to the point where they start to be C&R (I won't be here).

I found a minty 2 3/4" stainless .357 at a local gunshop a couple of years ago and left them my driver's license while I drove (illegally) to an ATM. Didn't care that it had funky homemade "grips" apparently for an extraterrestrial. Now has Ruger OS target grips and shoots like a dream. I'm a great "Jeep" fan, but the Six series are just the best for all around use.

shakyshoot

Bearcat
That's a very fair price. It might have actually gone a bit higher if he hadn't put a reserve on it. I know when I look at GB I don't even look at the reserve auctions. Lately I've been using "browse" to bring up all the revolvers in the early evening and going through all the pages past midnight. I take all the reserve auctions out, then look for any listing with a bunch of bids, because I know those are the ones that started low.