What Do You Guys Use Your SA Revolvers For?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
Mine get used for cowboy action shooting more than anything else. l But when I'm out in the boonies I always have one with me. They're fun for any kind of plinking, and are reliable for self defense needs.

don44

Hunter
I hunt with mine and all the other things a person can do with a SA revolver!

Yetiman

Bearcat
The first revolver I picked up (after decades of shooting mostly 1911's) was a 45 acp birdshead Vaquero. I simply fell in love with the look of it and justified buying it because it shot ammo I already had a ton of. It gets range time for fun, and I carry it now and them at the cottage, generally open carry.

I later picked up a Bisley Hunter to use for deer hunting and range fun, and it has become my favorite gun (out of dozens) and gets shot more than any others the last few years. I was worried when I bought a SRH last year that it would replace the Hunter as my fav and most used, but that hasn't happened so far.

bogus bill

Hunter
I guess guns to some of us is like jewelry. I don't "need" my wedding ring but wear it. Part of the reason I do, it reminds me of my dad as it was first his. (I am a cheapskate). I don't wear any other jewelry. I like nice belt buckles and my guns. I like packing one of my fancy BBQ guns once in awhile but when I do it`s concealed. Thats kind of dumb aint it?
I started out with a ruger single six too. I probably shot that gun than most of my DA`s put together since.

I find myself carrying them more and using them more. Not sure why, it may just be the current trend.

So, I use them for range, field and ccw. I'm sure one day I'll start to drift back to S&W DA revolvers but for now SA's are my go to firearm.

mk70ss

Bearcat
Punching paper, carrying when we trail ride our mules, and a .45 Colt Uberti Sheriff sits in my nightstand every night.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Well I don't use mine for robbing banks like to old west days...hunting and paper punching are the first two things I think of when asked.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike said:
Too old and feeble to hunt anymore so I use mine to turn powder into noise and punch holes in paper.

Ha! Sounds just like me! Of course, some day I'll use mine (loaded with Buffalo Bore 325's of course) to take an elk or a Kodiak. Or both! :D :D

luckybaer Just out of curiosity are you a Millennial? The reason I ask is there are a lot of us "older" folks here that group up with, Bonanza, Paladin, Gun Smoke, The Lone Range, Roy Rogers, etc. Not to mention lots of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood spagetti westerns. SA revolvers are memory of great childhoods, better days, good guys vs bad guys and so on.

I started around 1965 or 1966 shooting a Single Six. Wasn't mine, the kid across the street had it (actually his dad did) and we'd take it and our shotguns and go hunting, rabbits, quail, whatever, as long as we were shooting. I've got a lot of guns that worked for Alaska but I mostly carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. It was stainless and started life as a 7-1/2" but was cut down to 5-1/2" pretty quick. It went every where, camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, riding ATV's you name it. Guy has to have a gun. Early on I found a guy that produced 328 grain hard casts that shot real good and load those. His name was Ace Dube. I even did CAS for a few years with my son. I've carried one so long that I have extreme confidence that when it comes out of the holster it will be pointed well. They just fit a guys hand like they were made for it.

Like many others I frequently have one when traveling as well.

Nowadays, I mostly shoot SA's for fun. There was a time that I hunted with them and had one handy for personal protection from critters when walking in the woods or 2 legged critters that may want to do me or my family harm.
Due to a bad thumb, I mostly just plink with rimfire SA's now and enjoy it.

Dave

MaxP

Buckeye
For killing big critters....

Max%20Buffalo.jpg