Do Elk "stags" age?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Sambar stag grips over time will often mellow into a beautiful aged patina with kind of an amber cast to them. American holly does the same thing, getting nicer as time goes on, at least in my opinion.

Will the elk stag grips popular these days also age over time, or will they retain their white look permanently. I have some of them, quite attractive as is, but wondered if they will change as does sambar?

bogus bill

Hunter
I have a number of "horn" grips. I dont know what type venison they came off but I do like the aged yellow ones far better. Here they are for comparison. I may be out of luck to see them age as I will be 76 in a couple months. I need good luck with that.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I wish you all the the luck the lord will give, it's funny how the grips age well but not so much for us old guys.

bogus bill

Hunter
Thanks! I appreciate that. I have had some health issues. Two heart stents at Christmas, a kidney stone two weeks ago and a ER trip today I think due to a bunch of new medicines. Better now.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Elk antler comes in different shades (especislly the light colored part) naturally. Mine have not changed shades since new.

a668c219.jpg

bogus bill

Hunter
On my little smith 3" model 51 above with the nice colored yellow grips, are those some kind of other real stag from India or elsewhere that is different than the white elk grips from north America? I like them far better than the other white ones I showed on my N frames.

Saltcreek

Bearcat
Big Old Boy said:
I wish you all the the luck the lord will give, it's funny how the grips age well but not so much for us old guys.
Not so hasty. Speaking for this old guy, it won't be long and I'm sure my bones will be turning yellow not far off.

Someone mentioned tea staining Elk stag. What about shoe polish? Or would that not penetrate fully? I like the yellowed stay way more than the whiter colorings.