How many is too many pistols ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

beacon1933

Bearcat
I recently caught the pistol fever. In the past 3 months I purchased
A ruger revolver convertible 22lr and 22 magnum
A ruger LCRX 38 revolver
A glock 17
A ruger revolver convertible 9mm and 357.

Now I am looking at a ruger mark IV, and improved sights for the Glock 17.

I have considered selling the 38 revolver to get the mark IV but the 38it is a precious part of my current collection.

My quandary is due I save my pennies and new sight money to buy a ruger mark IV ,sell my 38 and buy the mark or should I be satisfied with my current 4 pistol collection?

Joe S.

Hunter
As far as i know there's no law on the books regarding the number of pistols a person can own, so it should be determined by one's desires, budget and ability to store them safely. One thing I've learned is that patience is critical to prevent you from selling a gun you know you like to buy one you may or may not like. A lesson hard learned for me.

Good luck.

trapperon

Blackhawk
beacon

If you like the 38....dont get rid of it. Most gun shops offer an interest free lay-a-way plan for 90 days. sometimes this option works well if cash is tight at the moment. Maybe get the glock sights and put the MKIV on lay-a-way........just a thought

Ron

jbntx

Single-Sixer
My motto is : See it, Want it, Buy it.

Don't make it anymore complicated than that.

schloss

Single-Sixer
I recommend keeping what you've got.

In terms of how many, you've just got to realize that one more is never enough.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have too many pistols according to some folks I know because I cannot carry them on my person at one time. I do have a burgeoning "accumulation" of several kinds of handguns and others. I buy what I like and what I consider good deals as trade bait or profit sales in the future.

Truth be told, I do not know how many pistols I have. It is north of 100, I just haven't counted the list up lately.

I have no plans for more at the moment. However, SHOT show is just around the corner in January. I expect that Ruger, Smith & Wesson or Henry to come out with something new to "Trip my trigger". :mrgreen:

My advice is to never trade or sell something you like unless true needs like food, medicine or shelter are involved. I have regretted the times I traded a good gun for another, even when I liked the new one. I spent some years (and more $$$) replacing what once had but let go. Thanks heavens I have had sense enough not to do that with ex-wives!!!

My .02,

32Magfan

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Seriously beacon1933,

Collecting can be an addiction that drives you to do things you would not ordinarily do. Junkies look for the NEXT high and can forget about the last one they had. Gunners are like that too.

Many of us who have been accumulating for years and have felt the tug toward "new to me" and fail to recognize the joy sitting right in front of you.

Learn to fondle what you've got. Cleaning, tuning, polishing, dry firing, and handling can calm you down and talk you off the cliff. Be patient is great advice.

Learn where your joy comes from:
Do you grin when you shoot? Paper? Steel? Distance?
Do you have to have someone else admiring your piece?
Do you get a rush when you see a little tiny group?
Do you hunt?
Do you just practice defense and love everything tacticool?

Or does your new toys sit in the vault after the electric tingle of the tracking/acquisition?
If you don't know yourself, your buying will be unfocused and foolhardy.

You've got three Ruger revolvers and a Glock. In my experience, it is rare to find those together. The revolvers are old school steel with glass rod triggers. The Glock is polymer, striker fired, wonder 9. If there are opposite, extreme poles in firearms, those two categories may be it.

You've got the symptoms of an overly broad set of choices in categories and a little too narrow set in choice of Manufacturers.

Four is nothing, and you sound like you're headed toward dozens. Find your joy, set your focus.

Prescut

I had decided I'd go on hiatus from buying guns the last two months of the year. Seemed simple enough. I'd bought more than a few the first 10 months, what's two months without a purchase? Except I've been able to keep my end of the year purchases down to 4 and it's not even December. Maybe this will be harder than I thought. :roll: :shock:

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Prescut said:
You've got three Ruger revolvers and a Glock. In my experience, it is rare to find those together. The revolvers are old school steel with glass rod triggers. The Glock is polymer, striker fired, wonder 9. If there are opposite, extreme poles in firearms, those two categories may be it.

You've got the symptoms of an overly broad set of choices in categories and a little too narrow set in choice of Manufacturers.

Four is nothing, and you sound like you're headed toward dozens. Find your joy, set your focus.

Prescut
Really, you find it odd that a Ruger owner would have a Glock? That's VERY common. Actually these days it's fairly odd when anyone doesn't own at least one Glock. I don't own one myself, but I don't own ANY striker fired pistols of ANY brand.

As to what OP should own.............whatever he wants

beacon1933 said:
Post subject: How many is too many pistols?

I recently caught the pistol fever. In the past 3 months I purchased
A ruger revolver convertible 22lr and 22 magnum
A ruger LCRX 38 revolver
A glock 17
A ruger revolver convertible 9mm and 357.

Now I am looking at a ruger mark IV, and improved sights for the Glock 17.

I have considered selling the 38 revolver to get the mark IV but the 38it is a precious part of my current collection.

My quandary is due I save my pennies and new sight money to buy a ruger mark IV ,sell my 38 and buy the mark or should I be satisfied with my current 4 pistol collection?

I know the question is rhetorical, but if you like the guns you have already, keep them and save your pennies til you can afford your next one.

Selling a gun to buy another rarely works as intended.

And if you waste your money on improved sights for your Glock, then you'll still have just a Glock. Kind've like putting a hood scoop on a Ford Maverick.

To answer your topic question, I do not know how many pistols I have. Some I've not laid eyes on for years. But it's never enough.

Folks accumulate all kinds of stuff in this world. My Mo-in-Law used to buy Avon Bottles. (And now I store them even though they are worthless). A cousin buys Beenie Babies. My wife accumulates jewelry. A buddy has a yard full of old cars, beautifying the neighborhood. And I collect guns. There's no explaining any of it, but there's probably a chapter in Popular Psychology discussing the phenomenon.

I truly need no more guns. But as early as this afternoon, I could find a gun that I've just gotta have.

WAYNO.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
if you can afford it then buy all you can, but don't forget ammo to go with them. my brother inlaw and myself for serveral years have had to make cuts and be on a tight budget and save when and where we can. he continues to save and buys gun from time to time they are not high dollar guns but are the lower priced from savage to mossberg and charter and now has got 12 long guns and 4 handguns. however he has not bought a box of any ammo in a long time. he has less than i box of 357 and less than 3 boxes of 12 gauge and about 200rds 22lr. i went the other route, i have 1 ruger lcr 9mm one 12 gauge pump and one 22lr rifle. i bought spare parts for all and ammo. i have almost 4000rds of 9mm 3000rds of 12 gauge and almost 5000rds 22lr. i will buy another gun one of these days but still are paranoid that a run on ammo may come and i can't afford to pay gouger prices so i still find myself buying ammo when i can.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum beacon!

We have a thing known as "seller remorse" that afflicts many folks. You own a fine gun, the sell it, and later on have a lot of remorse at selling it.
I cured that problem a long time ago. I buy & do not sell much unless it was purchased to sell or something I have no interest in but the price is too good to pass up.
Only 4 handguns? Heck, I have more than that in identical models.