Painting front sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Who else does this?

I am trying it to see if it helps me see the ramps better. These non pinned ramp sights are my main gripe with Ruger sixguns.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I've done it on several. First degrease sight. Base coat of white followed by final color. If you don't like it you can quickly take it off with acetone.orange works best for me.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
I like to use finger nail polish on front sights. A nice bright red or reddish-orange does it for me.

Although I de-grease with Acetone, I do not use any base coat other than the nail polish.

I have found it best to clamp / prop the gun so that the surface of the sight to be painted is horizontal. Eliminating the effects of gravity helps keep the polish from running off until it has time to set up.

Once I have the sight surface horizontal, I use the brush in the cap of the nail polish bottle to
"dab" on the polish.

Practice makes perfect. Any mistakes can just be wiped off with acetone while still wet. And you are ready to try for perfection again.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
If the bluing is worn on the sight, I'll throw some cold blue to bring the color back to a rich matte black. Occasionally, I'll black the sight with paint if it's not blued to give that contrasting background. Then degrease, base of white, and top of orange or red in a high brilliance. Matte model paints are better than nail polish since polish will usually be gloss finish, but nail polish is typically easier to find.

pisgah

Buckeye
I like nail polish because of the vast selection of colors available. It is surprising how much clearer to your eye one color can be over another, and sometimes with very little difference between the two. When one color starts looking a bit blurry to me, I search for another.

hittman

Staff member
Oh yeah, I've done that on some guns. The Testor brand model car paint even comes in "neon" colors now. I usually lay down a coat or two of white and then cover that with Neon Orange, Red or Green depending on my mood.

eveled

Hawkeye
I use Testors white base, then orange, I prop the gun so it is upside down to dry. That way no paint can run down the side. Use a flat tooth pick for an applicator.

If the front site is too tall, don't paint it all the way to the top. This is helpful as a test run before filing.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Fluorescent orange fishing lure paint over a white base gave me good results in some action shooting type matches. When they are held indoors I do not like to go to those matches without some light color on both front and rear sights because I never know when they will make me use a flash light. However, for Bullseye matches and most outdoor range targets plain black (blued) sights still work the best for me.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I put some White Out correction fluid on the front sight of my Taurus PT92 "house gun" probably 25 years ago and it is still there and still helping to align the sights.

Rob

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Teddydogno1 said:
I put some White Out correction fluid on the front sight of my Taurus PT92 "house gun" probably 25 years ago and it is still there and still helping to align the sights.

Rob
Do they still make 'White Out' ? What for? ...well I guess there are times it might come in handy but it don't sell like back in the typewriter era I bet. :D :D

Joe S.

Hunter
I used some of that on my MkIII and it didn't last. Maybe i didn't degrease. I cant remember.

Thanks for the replies and tips yall.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I went to the flea market and found the most obnoxiously flourescent orange finger nail polish for $1.99. I've got most of my revolver sights painted with it and still have 99% of the bottle left. That was several years ago.

Aqualung

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
I use Acrylic white and a mico brush from Hobby Lobby works real well and last.
The mico brush {about as big as the head of a pin} allows for very fine work.

Jeff

mikewriter

Blackhawk
Birchwood Casey sells a paint pen kit made for use on sights. Comes with 3 pens - white, "neon" green, and red. I use the red, actually looks like orange to me. Works good, easy to use. It will rub off in a holster, but is very easy to re-apply.

Mike

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Joe.... the old S&W M-29 Baughman red ramp excels for woods hunting, and by my experience ranks at the top for all-around visibility. This does not include dark, carrying you farther into dusk than than black. In conjunction with young sharp eyes, the S&W white outline rear notch compliments the red ramp. Today my preference is for a red ramp front without the white outline rear.

The S&W McGivern brass bead is the best pure iron sight for dark. The S&W Call lightly-beveled brass disk is notably better for all-around daylight than the McGivern, and second best to the McGivern in dark.

In shooting thrown (aerial) water jugs of late, at various times of day, the red ramp currently posited in the Super Redhawk ramp of the Ruger 03 provides for a faster FLASH SIGHT PICTURE than the black ramp.

When I hunted soft & hard woods with the old brass grip frame Super Blackhawk, my preference was to clean front and rear sights with lacquer thinner or acetone and paint the ramp vermillion red, and the rear notch a warm yellow. When IHMSA silhouette came along, the sights were cleaned down to blue and, provided the opportunity, the sights were blackened with a carbide lamp.

A good gloss red enamel holds more pigment and is tougher than any fingernail polish. All iron sights are a compromise, yearning to be ideal under whichever condition forces your aim.

Adaptability of the Super Redhawk front sight provides the Ruger 03 with a distinct advantage. This includes the Kimber Meprolight tritium 3-dot system, which provides excellent visibility at dusk, as well as against total darkness.

VERMILLION RED has a slight orange (warm) hue, which works better than a cool, darker red in dim light. (As a value, red rendered in black & white is dark.) Yellow shows up well, but bleaches out against snow, and might do the same against sun in the blazing Southwest. Blue and green both must be tinted (white added) to not get lost at dusk.
David Bradshaw