44 Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
So your saying grip it light & your middle finger knuckle won't get hit?
Not buying it, because I do grip it lightly & my knuckle Definitly gets hit.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
SweetWilliam.... "big bore using full power loads" spans numerous cartridges, bullets, powder charges, and velocities. In a single action, I prefer a HEEL INDEX grip, wherein the heel of my hand catches the heel of the grip, whether Peacemaker, Super Blackhawk, Bisley, or Dick Casull/Freedom Arms Model 83. Creates an air gap between middle finger and trigger guard.

Alternative stocks are preferred by many, and include rubber by Pachmayr and Uncle Mike's, a wood from Herrett and others. These stocks arch between front strap and trigger guard. My hand finds the Peacemaker pattern initiated on the 1873 Colt for .44 Magnum and up. Velocity multiplies the recoil of heavier bullets. My hand pressure increases as recoil rises.

A strangle hold means you are fighting the gun. Can you strangle the grip without tremor? Consistently? And do so repeatedly? And shoot from multiple positions with the same Point of Impact? If so, have at it. Never said, "grip it light & your middle finger knuckle won't get hit." Have the patience to be exact. And accurate.
David Bradshaw

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I don't strangle hold the grip.
My opinion is like I said in an above post. If you are shooting 44mag, 45colt(mag) or anything bigger using full power loads your middle finger is going to get banged up.
Especially shooting off the bench. No matter what grip frame.
Yes you can change to an after market grip, if you like. But IMO rubber grips on a single action just doesn't do it for me.
If it isn't you probably aren't shooting full power stuff or you have a strangle hold on it. And a heel index grip isn't going to feel any better with full power loads. It might save your knuckle a little but it isn't going to help your palm.

contender

Ruger Guru
SweetWilliam,,, carefully go back over what David has offered. He speaks from decades of experience,,, in the big bore game. Metallic handgun shooting,,, at long range, accuracy required, with powerful loads. You might want to wander over to Lee Martins single action forum website. A LOT of folks over there find the 44 mag a STARTING level big bore. And if you look carefully,, you will find members there are the same names we've come to recognize as experts in the field.

Basically what David is trying to convey is that fighting the recoil will result in pain & knuckle rapping,,, while allowing the physics of the gun & grip to act naturally, while you control the things you can control will give you excellent results.

If you doubt this info,,, do a search of Davids posts,,, both here & over on Lee's site. (Lee actually posts pics & stuff here for David,) to see what he's done, & how he shoots each gun & how important the things he's mentioned are to good accurate shooting.
If I were to liken David to a college professor,,, I'd say he'd be a a Nobel Prize nominee for his knowledge. As an old saying goes; "Study the Master, for he is the one with the knowledge."

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I don't mean to be ignorant or to give anyone a hard time but I've read what David wrote a couple times and what I'm getting out of it is light grip pressure and follow through. Now I'd like to think that's what I do, maybe not.
Or different grips.

contender

Ruger Guru
Quote; "My hand pressure increases as recoil rises."

This.

Too light, and it will hurt, and too much & it will hurt. You have to adjust according to the variables he listed.

"To put it country simple, use no more pressure than necessary to place your shots."

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
The target is the final arbiter of accuracy. Thus, the target is the final arbiter of technique. That is why I don't preach doctrine. If I am guilty of preaching anything, it is INTENTION and PRACTICE. Don't beat yourself up if you can avoid it. One of the fine revolver shots of IHMSA Silhouette, Edna Huff, laid steel low with her 8-inch S&W M-29 forty-four. Asked her one day as we sat behind a wind swept firing line, each calculating the fearsome bend a revolver bullet would take to connect on turkeys and rams, "Have you worked with the Super Blackhawk?"

"Yes, and I can't shoot that grip."

That was 1978, the battle between Ruger and Smith & Wesson running wide open. The S410N "Silhouette Super" was yet a season out. For some of us there was little or no performance difference between an accurate Smith and an accurate Ruger .44 Magnum. Others, as did Edna Huff, settled on one----or the other. (Discussion confined to the .44.)
David Bradshaw

solocam

Bearcat
The square trigger guards hit my middle knuckle every time no matter what I did, the solution for me was a hogue mono grip. I bought a brand new bisley Hunter (my first and only bisley) it did the exact same thing to me, maybe a little worse. I traded the bisley grip frame, hammer, and trigger to a fellow forum member for a plow grip frame with round trigger guard, I have never had any problems shooting the round trigger guard plow grip. Some can shoot the square guards, some can't