Accuracy - single vs double action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I've had a GP100 since 1989 and love it. I also have an SP101. I've shot SA's and like them, but wonder how they would compare to my GP in terms of accuracy. The lock time seems longer on the SA, but I don't know if it matters. Does anyone have any observations on this comparison?

I had a GP-100, I have a SP-101, and a NMBH. All can be shot SA. Of the three, my GP was the most accurate, then the NMBH, then the SP-101. Shooting DA, the trigger can be staged, so it is similar to shooting SA. Shooting DA for me is quicker, so for self defense, I will use that mode, unless I need every bit of accuracy I can get from my revolver, then I will use SA. I hope this helps.
gramps

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Every gun I've ever had shot better than I can hold. The guns that I have that don't shoot good tight groups suffer from the sights being less that the best.

These two targets seem to indicate that my Ruger is more accurate than the Uberti:

The Uberti has the old Colt SAA style sights, while the Ruger has better adjustable sights and offer a better sight picture.

And, again, the Uberti has a silver colored front blade which offers less definition:

If these guns were to be shot from a rest, I doubt that there would be this much difference in their accuracy. Though these were all Single Action guns, I've had similar results from DA revolvers.

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
I think in general,, the SA's have an edge over the DA's ,,,,,,,,,, IF,,,,,,,,,, you shoot them as a SA and then DA. In shooting DA, you have more mechanics to overcome. But,,, if shooting them both in the SA mode,,, then I doubt there's be any real difference if the same caliber & preferred loads were used.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I have both types in .357 & .44. When shot SA and supported they are pretty much equal in accuracy. However, when I shoot unsupported I always seem to do better with the single actions. Overcoming the longer hammer fall of the single actions takes practice.

Rclark

Hunter
And as far as accuracy is concerned..... DA / SA / SemiAuto doesn't matter. They all can be very accurate guns if built right. None is more accurate than another. It is up to the shooter to show the guns potential. So the question is more like how accurate 'you' and 'I' can shoot the the guns :) . All I shoot is SA and I shoot them fairly well. I shoot any DAs single action, but when I try shooting in DA mode ... well the group opens up considerable. At SD distances, its going to be a hit,,, but groups can't be covered by a quarter.... FWIW ...

Overcoming the longer hammer fall of the single actions takes practice.
Yep. Lock time does matter, because you have to hold your aim just a tad longer. If you could get 0 lock time, guns would be much easier to shoot!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As to lock time, years ago Sketer Skelton ran an article testing that subject. His conclusion then was that lock time of modern handguns didn't inject enough difference to make any difference in the shooter's accuracy.

Bob Wright

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I know this sound stupid but I seem to shoot double action better than single action.
I think the difference is how my grip on the gun is more consistent and firm when I shoot double action. I also stage the double action pull to where it is almost like shooting single action. In single action shooting I tend to have a looser grip.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think the shape and composition of the grip and how the gun fits and feels in the hand has more bearing on accuracy than the action style or lock time.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Between DA's and SA's of similar quality, any difference is going to be a matter of variations between individual guns. Either is going to be more accurate than any service auto.

I really don't believe that lock-time is a significant factor.

5of7

Hunter
It is not the DA/SA choice that makes the difference, it is finding the load that the gun likes best, whether it is SA or DA makes no difference in my opinion.

Now if you are gonna build a custom gun. maybe, but I still doubt it. 8)

Rclark

Hunter
I really don't believe that lock-time is a significant factor.
Well, I am one of those that do think so. Since the SA lock time is about twice that of DA (from what I've gleaned, not tested) , there is more time 'time' to 'wiggle' as the hammer falls.... For can or plate shooting, no big deal. Shooting for groups, I think a SA takes a bit more practice. Of course, creep, break weight, also enter into the equation....

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I know one thing for me (Probably Lock Time on the SA) but I shoot my Redhawks and GP's a lot more accurate than I even shot a Blackhawk.

mikeoh

Bearcat
Finding the right load, for the gun is the key. Back, when I was reloading, a fraction of a grain could make all the difference in the world. I could load, in the basement, and come up to my rear deck, where I had a range set up, with a table and rest, and fire a group. Then I would go down to the basement, change the load a half a grain, or so, and repeat my firing until I found the best load. This was for a .44 magnum, but any caliber would work the same. I had several .44s, both in SA and SA/DA. They each had their pet load. Lock time didn't even enter into the equation.