flattop conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mooshoo

Bearcat
thinking about converting my 3 screw 357 flattop to 44 spl

would love to see some of you conversions

That would be a classic "Skeeter conversion" as made popular by the late, great Skeeter Skelton.

Kinda hate to see any of those go "under the knife" but I can certainly understand the appeal. If I came across a real "beater" I'd seriously consider it. Yours is just pretty darn nice as is.

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
If it were mine,,, I'd leave it alone,,, & look for a true beater to convert. Nicer ones are getting harder & harder to find. BTW,,,, it's serial number,,, I can't tell,,,,,, if it starts with 14xxx or 15xxx it may be a ross variation. It doesn't look like one,,, but the pics aren't revealing enough.

mooshoo

Bearcat
here is another pic that might show it, if not when I get home I'll get it and what is a ross variation

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A Three Screw but not a Flat Top, converted to .44 Special by Dave Clements:

Its been my constant companion since November of 2010:

Bob Wright

Cholo

Staff member
Oh, my eyes :shock: Who needs wimmin, or Viager? :mrgreen:

I have so many questions when it comes to a .44 Special conversion of an OM FT .357, but I don't want to step on mooshoo's thread. I'll just enjoy the replies and pics...

Spencer

Single-Sixer
I left mine a .357, just changed the hammer and gripframe. It will be easy to convert back to the original form if I want to.
00488.JPG

00588.JPG

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
And, oh yeah, forgot this one. Not a .44 Special, still a .357 Magnum:

The grips are mesquite, by CaryC. Cary once told me these were the first mesquite wood grips he ever made. I approached him years ago, and finding the source of wood was a problem. His source was a lady and during his search she died. Then her successor spoke up and supplied the blanks.

Bob Wright

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a number of Cary C's grips on my OMBH's. As Bob stated the mesquite makes a very nice looking grip. He also did some in Oregon myrtle that are striking as well. I hope he will start making grips again as I have more guns than his grips!