Newbie lcr357 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mack357

Bearcat
Hi guys,
First time poster here . Thoughts on the lcr357 as a home defence/ccw as a first gun? I'm an experienced shooter to an extent and know the basics of firearm safety thanks to growing up in the 80s with a father and grandfather that were leos . but until recent days I haven't felt that I needed to be armed but times are a changing as they say ... Any thoughts?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum. A snub nosed revolver is a very practical gun. The Ruger LCR357 is one of the lightest. I would not hesitate to buy one for home defense or self defense. I would also start out shooting 38 specials and then maybe shoot a few 357's to see how they felt. :D

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with what Jimbo said.

At one time I owned the LCR in both 38 and 357. For me, 357 rounds were very uncomfortable to shoot. Then Ruger brought out the shorter boot grip and it made 357 unbearable. So, the 357 went to a new home and I only own and now carry the 38 Special with +P hollow point rounds.

Specs

Single-Sixer
Best of all is the KLCR with some hot 38s. You can always use 357s, but the heavier revolver with 38+P is a very smooth setup.

Claims Rep.

Single-Sixer
It's hard to beat an LCR for CC. Since you pkan to conceal AND use as home defense, then yes I'd say go with an LCR. Mine is a .38+P, and that would cause a whole mess of trouble for a bad buy. .357 magnum is quite a handful, ESPECIALLY in a light-weight gun. Just something to consider...

Mack357

Bearcat
Thanks a lot guys , I am going with the klcr ... I'm not very recoil sensitive and while I haven't tried it yet I can probably handle magnums OK even out of a lighter gun .. But I'll probably use hot 38's mainly ... I love all this great feedback you guys all rock

6gun

Hunter
I would have gone for a SP101 rather than the LCR lot better gun around the same price.

HadEmAll

Bearcat
I love my .357 LCR, but for carry and concealability.

For home defense I like something with more capacity, and less muzzle flash.

Plus, a full magnum load, out of that short barrel in a dark room will probably be the equivalent of a flash bang grenade.

Great for concealed carry, less than ideal for home defence.

Mack357

Bearcat
Picked it up and bought a box of 158 grain federal lead flat tips .... Recoil and muzzle flash were pretty high like everyone said but offer the first 10 or so I was able to get somewhat reason able groups at 30 feet firing fairly quickly .... Was very fun ... Even if it stung a bit lol .. Think I'm gonna love this gun ... Thank you guys for all the info