Gp-100 compact grip dimensions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xrlke

Single-Sixer
I was wondering if some of you lucky guys with the coveted compact grips for the gp100 would mind giving me some measurements? I absolutely despise the stock hogue finger groove grips, but cannot get used to the full size rubbers with the wood inserts. I love the sp101 stock grip and can grip those better than the full size gp100 grips. My understanding is the gp100 compact grips feel like "bulging" sp101 grips.

So, instead of spending major dough on the ebay compact grips, my goal is to modify a set of solid wood grips from the Taiwan seller into a compact size that fits my hands. There appears to be plenty of meat on those grips to shape them into something compact. I just bought a set and intend to polish up my woodworking skills. Some measurements on the width from side to side and front to back would be helpful, along with length measurements from the front and back bottoms to a point on the frame would be very helpful.

I'll be sure to show some pics when I'm done, as long as I don't destroy the grips in the process, haha. Thanks for any help.

xrlke

Single-Sixer
Thanks! Those will help a bunch. Nice looking gp and grip options you have there

GP100man

Buckeye
Just a word of caution . Grinding/sanding on exotic woods . many of em are not good to inhale .

Even Rosewood or walnut gives my sinuses trouble !!

Someone with more knowledge please chime in!!

GP

kctgb

Bearcat
I also despise the houge grips on my GP100, they are awful for carrying in a shoulder holster.

Mark II

Bearcat
How's the recoil feel when shooting .357 with those compact grips?? I've thought about getting the compact grips for mine, but the stock grips even sting a bit with the magnum loads and I'd imagine the compact grips would not be an improvement in that arena.

I don't know much about exotic woods, but it is true that some of them are actually toxic, not just irritating. When doing mechanical grinding or sanding (not hand sanding) on almost any wood, it's a good idea to wear a dust mask and safety glasses and wash face and eyes fairly frequently, at least at end of session.

There are technical manuals that discuss the toxicity of various woods, although I don't have one handy right now. A general rule-of-thumb is that woods originating in the tropics, especially jungles or rain forests, tend to be more toxic than woods from temperate climates. This is an effect of evolution: the intense struggle for survival in very fertile climates leads the plants there to develop more and more toxic saps to resist more and more intense insect attacks.

We get some very potent drugs from such sources, but there are also risks to inhaling or ingesting small particles of these plants, and some can damage wet tissue like eyes and noses and lungs.....