Why would shots scatter at only 25 yards?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Not happy yesterday after shooting at the NRA range. The Blackhawk would not group at all. I was trying a field position, resting elbows on the shelf, but not anything else. No, this is not the most stable, but I was planning for worst case. All sight pictures were uniform. At 15 yards three shots were within three inches. At 25 yards I missed the target a time or two, or two bullets went into one hole more than once.

Revolver has Belt Mountain base pin. Clement gold dot front sight. Bowen target rear. Bowen reamed cylinder bores to suit 0.4525 lead.

Was shooting 225 g 45 Colt Hornady flex tip rounds.

Cylinder to barrel gap checks as 0.002 go, 0.0025 no go on all six holes. Checked with hammer cocked then lowered as if firing.

Barrel was free from copper fouling as best I could see.

I am thinking operator error, recoil anticipation, thrusting forward and down?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
99 times out of 100 it's the shooter. 2nd place is the ammo. Last is the gun. Go from there. :)

Next time, take a video of yourself and review it. Might help.

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
Try placing an empty chamber in an unknown position as you load the revolver. When you drop the hammer on a "click" instead of a "bang" any recoil anticipation will be presented quite neatly. Good luck!

pisgah

Buckeye
Of all the possible rested positions to fire a revolver from, elbows-only on a hard surface has always been impossible for me. There's just too much movement in recoil, and it's weird, hard-to-anticipate movement. I do much better shooting two-handed unsupported -- or even one-handed.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Sorry...that is all on the shooter...and we have all had those days.

Flinch and trigger finger in wrong position on the trigger.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
pisgah said:
Of all the possible rested positions to fire a revolver from, elbows-only on a hard surface has always been impossible for me. There's just too much movement in recoil, and it's weird, hard-to-anticipate movement.

+1 - elbows are bony and squirm around - probably worse than a good two-handed unsupported hold. Also, any supported hold that is not comfortable is worse than an unsupported hold, at least I find it so. If the bench is not high enough for a good sight picture without doing gymnastics I can't hit the wide side of a barn from inside it. I'm guessing if you were resting on your elbows the bench was too low. Most range benches are too low so I carry a couple of sandbags (actually, those mushy wrist supports for keyboard users) in my range box. I put the bags on top of the box and that raises things up where I can actually shoot halfway decently off the resulting rest.

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Rainy Day Shooter said:
Try placing an empty chamber in an unknown position as you load the revolver. When you drop the hammer on a "click" instead of a "bang" any recoil anticipation will be presented quite neatly. Good luck!

+1 - old instructors trick and always good for a laugh...even when it's at yourself. Snap caps in a magazine achieve the same thing for pistol shooters - get somebody else to load your mags and sneak a snap cap in at a random location. It's the only purpose I've ever found for snap caps.

GP100man

Buckeye
For bench shooting handguns I roll a towel/jacket up & lay my wrists/forearms on it.

If you use a rest of sorts expect group POI to be off a bit.

If flinchin is the problem ,try shooting a 22 first then maybe some downloaded ammo, work up to the big boomers, we`ve all been there at 1 time or another. Me ,it`s after shooting an auto pistol , summtin `bout seeing the slide come back at my face makes me flinch .

Doublin up on hearing protection help my baby girl get over her flinch & when she saw the fire fly from the muzzle flinching was over, she like big flash now!

GP

MaxP

Buckeye
Jim Luke said:
Sorry...that is all on the shooter...and we have all had those days.

Flinch and trigger finger in wrong position on the trigger.

I don't think this is a stable position either. To really wring it out, I personally would sandbag the revolver. That said, I would also try other loads. I do a lot of testing off of the bench and some factory loads simply don't get it done to my satisfaction. But, definitely need to get technique down before anything else is blamed.

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Thanks for suggestions. I'll try a different position next time with more support. I bought a box of clay targets today and will see how I do in the field from a better position. I figure if I practice with the small diameter targets I'll be more able to judge if the revo and shooter are ready for hunting. Group size is of course less important than lethality.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I experienced the same problem--but part of it was cause the cylinder wasn't lining up right (detente spring jumped and the cylinder wasn't locking up in proper alignment). Factory ammo shoots so-so through my 41 mag--if you can hand-load getting a good light load will definitely help hone your technique before shooting "regular" power ammo. I'm in the same boat as you--but following other's advice here I'm already getting improvements.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Agree with most , more than likely operator error. :) However, as has been touched on also , some factory loads just don't shoot well through some guns. Several of my handguns have benefited greatly from my hand loads. ( most noticeably 45 acp pistols though ). But at 25 yds you should be able to get 4 inch groups , missing the paper at that distance and the sporadic groups you are getting point to the man behind the trigger ... at least in my opinion.

keep shootin ..good luck
regards , brushunter

6gun

Hunter
Cause you spent all that money fancying up the gun and it don't make it shoot any better, guess you know that now. :lol:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Actually I did not spend any money on the upgrades. I bought it this way for a reasonable price, and only reported the features to assist in the discussion.

6gun

Hunter
4MUL8R said:
Actually I did not spend any money on the upgrades. I bought it this way for a reasonable price, and only reported the features to assist in the discussion.

Could be someone poured lots of money into upgrades and the gun still wasn't accurate so they sold it?

Or could also be you were just having a real bad day, we all have those days when we can't hit a thing, when I do I pack everything up and leave so I don't waste any more ammo. :?

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
Previous owner is a reasonably good shot (I've seen him compete idpa). He was unloading several items to fund a better weapon for his ace son who competes at a high level. I will figure this out with a friend who can really shoot. If it is a problem with the weapon it can be fixed.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think there is a lot of good info above. I've always been taught to not place your elbows on a hard surface when shooting as it can make your accuracy suffer.

But a comment you recently made, makes me pause; "Group size is of course less important than lethality."

If you aren't accurate, no matter how lethal the round is, it won't work if it doesn't connect. I'm reminded of an old comment that states; "I'd rather be missed by a 45 than hit with a 22."
If you are planning on hunting, you owe it to yourself & the animal to put a properly placed shot to allow for a quick clean kill.