Why would shots scatter at only 25 yards?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
The statement about group size being less important than lethality is not about ballistics. I am planning to practice on clay targets so that I am absolutely certain that the shooter and revolver as a system are lethal. If I can every time break a four inch clay then I will take the revolver hunting.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I agree with the other responders who opine that an 'elbows only' on a hard surface makes for an unstable position. After reading Keith's "Sixguns" some 30+ years ago, I adopted his 'long-range' shooting position: a back-rested sitting position with the gun extended between the knees. For me, and for Keith as he described it, the gun throws its groups to the same position that I use when hunting offhand. Too, I'm capable of 1" to 1-1/2" groups when using it. It's how I test my handloads for accuracy. Shooting off bags has never given me the same results and obviously, won't be available in any field hunting situation. Here's a clp pics...give the position a try...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...but as always, it's sight picture, and a trigger pull that does not disturb the grip nor sight picture. YOU MUST CONCENTRATE ON THE FRONT SIGHT ALONE, NOT THE TARGET, TO ACHIEVE GOOD, CONSISTENT GROUPS. The 2nd pic shows a 25 yd target shot using Keith's old position...and with a really good load for the .44 spl!!!

HTH's Rod

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Are you using the same bullseye or aiming mark at 25 yards as you do closer in? Maybe try a bigger mark that would make a better sight picture with your front sight at the longer distance.

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
74FeetThreeHoles by 4MUL8R, on Flickr

I tried a different more stable shooting position from the bench at an indoor range. Here the forearms were resting on the bench, I was kneeling, and these three holes appeared in the target at 25 yards. The revolver was not supported, just my forearms.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I am a long time pistol shooter (over sixty years). I typically practice standing at 25 yards. However, when I want to check ammo out (I shoot virtually nothing but home cast bullets and reloads) I shoot from a rest. I have had good luck with this relatively inexpensive rest:

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/shooting-rests-frr.html

My better loads shoot under 1" at 25 yards.

FWIW
Dale53