Single Seven update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ethang

Blackhawk
Tuesday was the day mine got back. I was pleased with that, two weeks door to door. Repair order was a replaced cylinder, re-polish and smoothed out the trigger.

Checking the BC gap it was noticeably improved. I did not have a gauge this time but easily half what it was before.

Most all of the blemishes were polished out nicely. They totally missed the muzzle, but I really didn't care about the finish anyway. Grip fit is what others have experienced, smallish but again, not a big concern as it will get some Paper Micarta grips soon.

I did manage to get to the range with the only box of factory ammo I could find so far. American Eagle 100 grain softpoints. These were stout, but very fun to touch off. I only had time in the fading daylight for 14 rounds. I am not the best at shooting for small groups but here is the first five rounds ever at 25 yards.

Trigger pull is very nice for out of the box. Overall I am pleased with Rugers response. I don't know if this will take the place of my H&R yet but it might. Now for grips, maybe a Two Dogs front sight, Bowen Target rears and a nice new holster since it won't fit in my Galco. Or maybe I should order a 4 5/8 that would fit in my holster...

I did some comparing with my 32 mag while cleaning it. There is very little difference in the length of the cylinder. Just eyeballing a 327 against my 32 cylinder it looks like it would fit, it might need just a smudge shorter seating length to clear as my BC gap on the 32 is very tight.

I also jumped onto the Starline website to check 327 brass. Did I miss the previous price or have cases jumped in price? $200 plus for a thousand for this small case.

Eliminator

Bearcat
Glad it was repaired to your satisfaction. Looks like it's shooting well.
Sent mine in last week for base pin jump that still occurred after the traditional "fixes" were attempted.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Ethang, I too have a Single Seven with a 5.5" barrel. I haven't shot mine on paper yet, but have a box of AE 100 gr. loads to use to get the brass. I was lucky to find in all of my stuff a Bianchi #1 Holster for the 5.5" small frame single action. They don't make them currently for the 5.5" nor does Galco make the SAO for the 5.5" small frame either. Brass is expensive, if one can find it. Starline and Federal are the only 2 sources that I am aware of. Bob!! :lol:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I had the base pin jump out on mine after a couple of shots. Push back in and happens again. Ordered a Belt Mountain knurled locking base pin and it fits and functions perfectly. End of base pin jump.

chet15

Hawkeye
mhblaw said:
I had the base pin jump out on mine after a couple of shots. Push back in and happens again. Ordered a Belt Mountain knurled locking base pin and it fits and functions perfectly. End of base pin jump.

Same thing happened with one of ours. Sent it back to Ruger though because the hole for the base pin plunger wasn't drilled deep enough.
Chet15

Eliminator

Bearcat
chet15 said:
Sent it back to Ruger though because the hole for the base pin plunger wasn't drilled deep enough.
Chet15

That was the case with mine also, and very apparent. Still awaiting the return
From Ruger.

Hondo44 said:
...I always fit 1st instead of spending money on an after market pin.

Good advice, and a lesson I've now learned. When I first began having trouble with mine, I knew darn well, and with minimal observation, that the hole for the base pin latch was not deep enough. Even so, I refused to listen to my mechanical instincts and the reasonable voices on this forum. Instead I threw a band-aid at it in the form of a new latch, a stronger spring, and a new base pin. Well guess what? A couple of cylinders of 100gr AE's were enough to batter the edge of the new latch into submission, overcome the tension of the Wolff spring, and release my new base pin! I am amazed at how quickly the ill fitting base pin latches were literally mauled by the recoil energy directed through the base pin. Lesson learned and off to Ruger for proper fitment (I hope!!!).

Ethang

Blackhawk
I got back to the range today with better light and more time. I only have the AE 100 grain soft point 327 loads but I did manage to score another box today. I brought those and my 32 mag loads using 4.0 of Unique and a 100 grain Missouri Cast bullet.

One thing I am noticing is the difference in point of impact between the two loads. I was hoping for closer, but what I am learning is I need to work up another 32 mag load for this pistol.

Anyway, 21 more rounds of 327 today and other than one called flyer they were all grouped about as good as I can shoot at 25 yards. No base pin issues, no punishing recoil like I have heard from others. Just a great shooting fun little package.

Also neither the shop I called for the ammo or the old timer that was at the range had ever heard of a 327 Magnum. They both tried correcting me thinking I ment a 357 magnum. This round has been out for how many years and two for two today had never even heard of it.

32 mag load, same point of aim as the 327

djw54

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the range report. Looks like some good shooting to me!

Question, though. I could understand a vertical displacement on the different loads, but why would the .32H&R group be high and right?

Ethang

Blackhawk
That is what has me wondering. I am guessing it barrel torque
With the lower power load. As it is I need to revisit my 32 mag load
To try and get a closer POI.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Got back to the range today with the Single Seven. I wanted to concentrate on my 32 Mag loads, mostly because the 327 factory stuff is $$$$.

Anyway, I dont' know if it's breaking in well, or just a pretty darn good shooting pistol but seem to do better with every trip.

Six off the bags at 25 yards. I am still getting used to seven rounds in the gun.

Another series of rounds. I really tried to concentrate on my grip pressure and my trigger break.

Seven offhand at 15 yards.

This load is shooting better from the Seven than it does with my Single Six. I am going to try some 296 and this bullet next. Powder is still non-existent here in MI.

Rabbit at 15 yards offhand. Couple got away from me.

I debated holster choices over the weekend. A Three Person from El Paso has served me well with my Single Six and was a top choice. I decided to get with Ray at Lobo Leather and have him make a Model 1 instead. A little tighter to my body and the option of cross draw. I don't conceal these, but I do cover it with a shirt when I am walking my dog. Looking forward to this holster. It will be my first from Lobo.

djw54

Single-Sixer
Ethang said:
This load is shooting better from the Seven than it does with my Single Six. I am going to try some 296 and this bullet next. Powder is still non-existent here in MI.

Where in Michigan are you? I saw some 296 on the shelf locally (SW Michigan) this afternoon. Or are you looking for something else?

Ethang

Blackhawk
djw54 said:
Ethang said:

Where in Michigan are you? I saw some 296 on the shelf locally (SW Michigan) this afternoon. Or are you looking for something else?

Lansing area. The 296 was not my first choice, but it was available. I was looking for some 2400 or maybe Lilgun. I have not tried anything other than Unique and Titegroup so far in the 32 mag. SW is a bit of a haul for me.

djw54

Single-Sixer
Ethang said:
djw54 said:
Ethang said:

Lansing area. The 296 was not my first choice, but it was available. I was looking for some 2400 or maybe Lilgun. I have not tried anything other than Unique and Titegroup so far in the 32 mag. SW is a bit of a haul for me.

Well, I did look for 2400, and there was a blank spot on the shelf there. Not sure about Lil'gun. Lansing is a little ways, yes.
Good luck in your continued search.

UnderDawgAl

Bearcat
Good set of posts, ethang. I like the gun.

What were those "miscast" bullets mentioned on one of your targets?

I had one on pre-order, but then I canceled it. Since I don't hunt anymore, I decided that having my Single Six 32 Mag, along with my other stuff, was enough--given my family commitments and other hobbies. However, your posts make me half wish I'd bought one!

Ethang

Blackhawk
Miscast was a typo. Meant to put MissCast, short for Missouri Cast.. sometimes I think faster than I type.

Any I weighed the cost/benefit to just keeping my 32 Mag. I'm glad I took the plunge. I never went much over 1000 fps with my 32. Couldn't contain my grin when I touched off the first screaming 327 round.

TJPopkin

Bearcat
I do not have my Single Seven, although one is on order for me. However, I have a S&W 16-4, rechambered by Bowens, in .327 and a Model 632 in .327.
I have noticed the same thing in terms of point of impact. Using factory Federal loads, I found the .32H&R loads shoot high right, while the .327s are DCPOA. In the 16-4, I group 1.5" @25yds.from a rest….the gun is fine. After 40 years of hand loading I would have anticipated the hits at 3" high @25yds for the .32H&R and 5"high for the .32long (shoot .32 long in centerfire competition with my Pardini or K32. The hits for the lighter loads going ----to the RIGHT. baffles me. It must have to do with the rifling???? The fact the your Ruger and my Smith do the same thing is interesting.

Ethang

Blackhawk
that was my thought too, the rifling was the cause of shooting to the right. However,I have found that the more trigger time I get, the closer to horizontal POA my 32 loads are going. Vertical they are still high though. Now that the cold and snow have set in my range time will be limited. I am going to see what another 100 or so fps in the 32 mag gets me.

TJPopkin

Bearcat
Ethang said:
that was my thought too, the rifling was the cause of shooting to the right. However,I have found that the more trigger time I get, the closer to horizontal POA my 32 loads are going. Vertical they are still high though. Now that the cold and snow have set in my range time will be limited. I am going to see what another 100 or so fps in the 32 mag gets me.

Remember, the .32 Long and .32 Mag loads have much lower velocity than the .327. That velocity drop will account for the higher hits. True with all calibers. If you sight for .357 Mag or .44 Mag…your .38Spl and .44Spl loads will hit substantially higher.
Terry