Revolver Holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

adam12

Single-Sixer
What, in your opinion, is the most comfortable BELT holster to wear your Ruger Revolver in. Let's keep it to Blackhawk/Redhawk size, barrel length from 3.75" to 7.5"

Do you like to wear it/them high/low/in between?

I'm not talking about concealed carry, just so the issue doesn't get cloudy.

GP100man

Buckeye
Almost any good holster will fill the bill, I like good leather .

BUTT the trick to open belt carry is a good wide reinforced gun belt , even more important with big bores !!

When I need gun carrying rigs I go to MTR leatherworks , excellent products standard or custom & service anyone would be hard pressed to beat !!

Just goggle em & they answer e-mails qwik. They`ll be in Fayetteville NC gunshow this wknd.

I see ya askin `bout carrying it low like cowboy style ??? , If just beating around it`s kinda kool , but if woods bumming or workin `round the farm I prefer hi on the hip/ out of the way at the 4-5 o`clock position

My humble & honest opinion .

GP

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
I agree with GPman, quality is a must! As far as a pants belt holster, I like the cylinder right about the belt line, so I guess in between.

The Simply Rugged Cattleman is a good example.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
For woods carry of ~3lb revolvers in 5-8" or longer, I prefer shoulder rigs. I make most of my own leather gear, so these aren't my EXACT rigs, but for scoped revolvers, I like something like the Diamond D Guide's Choice, for non-scoped revolvers, I like the revolver a bit lower and under my arm more, with the barrel vertical - like the Diamond D SSR, but with the barrel vertical instead of horizontal.

With lighter revolvers, I'll wear a gunbelt and hip holster, not excessively high, but high enough. For riding, I wear a crossdraw canted holster at about 1:30 (lefty). For walking, I'll often carry a straight drop holster that runs the grip frame just over the topline of the belt. I have a BUNCH of cowboy style drop rigs, but you can't do jack squat in them (literally, you couldn't squat...).

A 2:30-3pm vertical shoulder holster really is my favorite rig though.

swoter

Bearcat
I agree, a good belt is a must. As for holsters, I have a bad habit of buying old Smith & Wesson, and Hunter brand holsters off Ebay. I use the belt normally, and just slip on the holster when I want to carry a pistol. I have one of the cowboy type belt and holster, but don't really like the extra weight, or the way it hangs low.

medicdave

Blackhawk
If carrying a rifle, CME holsters crossdraw, no dinged scopes that way.

If working or woods bumming, a strong side with hammer strap like this Ross and Bucheimer.

Long barreled hunting guns get shoulder/chest holsters to keep them out of the way and accessible. I'm more partial to the shorties though.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree that a good belt is a must. However,,, Mike, "Doc" Barranti has made some of the best, most comfortable leather shucks a man could ever ask for. I used to balk at the higher priced leather some folks got,,, until I tried a few. Then,, I tried a Barranti,,, & I had to finally spend my money for what I feel is the BEST I've ever worn or seen. If Skeeter, Elmer, Jordan or a few others were still around,,, they'd be wearing Doc's shucks. Oops,,, Bart Skelton does wear some I'm told.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
For awhile I carried my Ruger .44 in this Bob Mernickle holster, a PS-6SA. But as age sort of crept up on me, found it a trifle too high for my arm:

Currently I'm carrying this Tom Threepersons holster from Graveyard Jack, who sort of made it to my specifications:

These for social daily social carry. For woods use, its this one of a kind from the work bench of Bob Wright:

For the DA revolver, its Don Hume, hands down:

Bob Wright

DGW1949

Hunter
All are good answers.
Me though....I'm an old cheap-skate, and way-too much of one to spring for a "custom made" holster just to have it get banged-around with heavy use. So, for guys like me, my recomendation for strong side carry would be a Bianchi Lawman, which as a practical matter, is built as well (or better) than most "custom" holsters. Yep, heavy leather, recessed stitching, double stitched where it needs to be, full length welt (which is something that almost no one else does any more), nicely finished edges, enough belt-loop for a serious gun belt, rides high with enough angle for ease of draw (or sittin'), can be had either lined or not....and goes for $35-$40 bucks on the used maket...and buying used aint a big deal because they last forever.

Shoulder rig for a short barreled SA?....no problem...a USGI holster for the 1911 works great, is infinitly adjustable, and if need be, you can rearrange the straps to suit yourself. And yep, we're still talking about $35-$40 here....or maybe $5 or $10 more for a NOS example.

Keep the change and use it for more ammo, that's what I say.

DGW

BearBio

Buckeye
I have semi-custom holster that I have had (and used) for 40 years. The same with one or two Hunter holsters. I have worn out several Triple K's. The majority of my holsters are from El Paso saddlery. Yes, they are pricey but the quality may be closely matched by some but never exceeded. That being said, there is something about an older S & W in a Hunter rig that seems to bring back "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", and early movies. I'm looking for an old Hunter for a Colt Army Special 41 now.

Back to topic at hand: From other threads, there is no doubt that most people agree the BEST design is most likely a Tom Threepersons rig, or a variation thereof. Personally, I prefer a thumbstrap but some prefer a hammer thong. I have both. Here's a picture of one of my BBQ rigs in a fancy EPS rig:

My field rig is made for a custom Super Blackhawk (see next picture):

I don't have a picture of my rig but is is a rough out (so it doesn't slip around) with fewer cartridge loops (don't need to carry all that weight), extra wide belt with a lined holster of a modified Threeperson design.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Many Thanks, gentlemen. Interesting choices, and a special thanks to all who posted photos - I loved looking at every one of them!

It seems a lot of folks are like me in preferring a basic Tom Threepersons design or close to it. And contender, I'm in the same camp as you with Doc Barranti leather holsters and belts. Fabulous work.

And BearBio, that BBQ EPS rig is a thing of beauty, as is your El Diablo 2 Blackhawk - That gun would scare the hell out of a lot of people even if it was unloaded!

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy!
A wide (2 1/2 to 3 inch) thick (if single ply, thinner if a folded over money belt) with bullet loops (20 minimum) and a nice leather double loop mexican style holster cut high to cover the cylinder and most of the trigger guard. Leather hammer thong as extra security to keep the revolver in place. Leather leg tie down if needed to keep holster from creeping up during drawing. I prefer unlined holsters. El Paso Saddlery does a fine job.
(This set up worked well when SA revolvers were cutting edge and it still works today!)

CraigC

Hawkeye
It depends. It might be a Threepersons:
IMG_2375b.jpg

Or a California Slim Jim:
IMG_2224b.jpg

Or a Mexican loop:
IMG_2435b.jpg

Or a full flap:
IMG_3407b.jpg

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have a #5 from Mike Barranti for my SBH, darn nice holster. I carry it on a belt that I made from a stirrup strap from Springfield Leather. It is cut to 2.25 " but tapered to accept a 2" brass roller buckle. The strap must be almost a .25" thick but I sanded the rough side a bit and sanded the tongue that fits into the buckle a bit more. It rides really well with no sag and on my hip just below my jeans belt. It suits me just fine.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Craig C - You've got some nice leather, there! For my 7.5" barreled .45 Colt Bisley I've got a beautiful floral carved Slim Jim from El Paso Saddlery. But all those gorgeous rigs took a back seat when I saw that (I think) 1872 Open Top Army revolver. HOLY MACKEREL!!!

Could you please take a detour for a bit and give us some information on that gun? I'd appreciate it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thanks! The leather is all my own handiwork.

The sixgun is a Cimarron Open Top .44Colt I got 7-8yrs ago. I had it fitted with one-piece TruIvory stocks, did a lot of shooting with it and carried it many a deer season. In preparation for my next full custom Ruger project, I wanted to try an engraver on something I already had. The Open Top seemed a natural choice. I love the old topless Colt designs, especially when engraved and it was already one of my favorite sixguns. I decided to finally realize a lifelong dream and sent it off to Michael Gouse for 75% coverage American scroll engraving, then to Turnbull for a full charcoal blue finish with fire blued screws and color case hardened hammer/trigger. Just made a favorite that much more special. The shocking part is that the whole project didn't take more than 6wks from start to finish.

IMG_2281b.jpg

IMG_2324b.jpg

I had the backstrap engraved with my SASS alias, which is also the name of my leather business.
IMG_3433b.jpg

Shortly afterwards, I decided that such a special sixgun deserved some special leather. Some extra protection might be a good idea. It was the perfect sixgun to design a new prototype flap holster around. I started the holster late last year, got it about 75% completed and then got sidetracked. I only finished it about a month ago.
IMG_3351b.jpg

adam12

Single-Sixer
Wow, what a story! You know, Often times guys will have professional engravers do some work on a favorite firearm and the end result seems, to me at least, disappointing. Nothing seems planned to suit the gun and its facets. Not at all the case with yours! Mister Gouse obviously knows his vocation.

I collect 19th century British doubleguns, and I'm used to seeing the kind of engraving that we sadly won't see again. Well, seeing your replica Colt is like witnessing the work of a dedicated engraver from that bygone era. Simply beautiful.

And another craftsman who is obviously dedicated to excellent work is YOU, sir! Every holster and belt make up some beautiful rigs, rigs you should be proud of and glad to put to use. That .44 has a perfect "home"!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I like Triple K holsters. I use one for my redhawk, blackhawk, and gp-100. Very well made and well priced. I would like them to sit a bit higher though, but they sit about "in between". I wear cross draw on the left, because I carry my rifle on my right side when hunting.

CraigC

Hawkeye
adam12 said:
Wow, what a story! You know, Often times guys will have professional engravers do some work on a favorite firearm and the end result seems, to me at least, disappointing. Nothing seems planned to suit the gun and its facets. Not at all the case with yours! Mister Gouse obviously knows his vocation.

I collect 19th century British doubleguns, and I'm used to seeing the kind of engraving that we sadly won't see again. Well, seeing your replica Colt is like witnessing the work of a dedicated engraver from that bygone era. Simply beautiful.

And another craftsman who is obviously dedicated to excellent work is YOU, sir! Every holster and belt make up some beautiful rigs, rigs you should be proud of and glad to put to use. That .44 has a perfect "home"!
Thank you very much! I don't own any (closest I get is a Merkel 28ga) but I too have a weakness for old British doubles.

The Open Top will definitely NOT be the last gun that Gouse engraves for me. ;)