High Polish Stainless Old Army?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HiramAbif

Bearcat
chet15 said:
The "7" in the catalog number is actually described as 7-1/2" in the Ruger Reference.
Chet15
I've always heard/thought it was 7 1/2"; but, I've never measured it.

Is the 148 prefix to the serial number indicitive of the 5 1/2" barrel. Mine has the much more common 145 prefix. But, I noticed on Ruger's site that they made 148-#### also. But they didn't make very many.

I saw a New Army box label (plastic case) on Gun Broker last night that was labeled "gloss stainless." http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=525647901

Makes me wonder how many "high polish"/"Gloss stainless" New Armys Ruger made? I have no intention of selling mine; but, I'm enjoying learning more about it.

My first revolver was a Ruger Single Six .22/.22 Magnum. I've had it for close to 40 years now!

chet15

Hawkeye
The 140- and 145- prefix are all adjustable sight guns.
The 148- are all fixed sight guns.
Ruger traditionally uses a different prefix for the serial number when there is something different about the cylinder frame, receiver or internal changes.....I say traditionally, because there are several known exceptions in other models.
The 5-1/2" Old Army was cataloged only in the fixed sight 148- guns. But I do know of one 5-1/2" each in blue and stainless with adjustable sights. Still working on the mystery behind these but wondering if Don Findley's latest book "The Ruger Papers" unknowingly shed a little light on these.
Chet15

djw54

Single-Sixer
HiramAbif said:
I saw a New Army box label (plastic case) on Gun Broker last night that was labeled "gloss stainless." http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=525647901

It's interesting that the listed gun is a model KBP-5F-I, but states separately on the label "gloss stainless", but other models are "GKBP". So are we saying here that there is a difference between "gloss" and "high polish"? Then why use "G" for the latter? Just trying to make some sense of it.

My KBP-7F, with a serial number a couple thousand higher than that 5er, also has "gloss stainless" printed on the label, and wood grips (no "I" in the model designation).

HiramAbif

Bearcat
djw54 said:
HiramAbif said:

It's interesting that the listed gun is a model KBP-5F-I, but states separately on the label "gloss stainless", but other models are "GKBP". So are we saying here that there is a difference between "gloss" and "high polish"? Then why use "G" for the latter? Just trying to make some sense of it.

My KBP-7F, with a serial number a couple thousand higher than that 5er, also has "gloss stainless" printed on the label, and wood grips (no "I" in the model designation).

I was wondering the same things. Does the "G" stand for gloss? Is gloss stainless the same as high polish? And, why are some labeled "gloss stainless;" but, don't have the "G" in the code? Plus, I thought all the high polish guns had "ivory" grips. The more I learn the more confused I get! haha