SP101 in 327 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Davis

Bearcat
Wanted to get one of these for a while, but held off because of price of ammo and limited availability of ammo and components.

I am a long time Ruger user (30+ yrs) and like the durability of the brand.

Seems like availability has improved recently, so I am now looking seriously at the SP101 in this caliber.

I note that some models now have fully adjustable rear sights, but the 3" 327 shown on Ruger site still has the windage only rear sight.

Anyone know if Ruger will be upgrading this anytime soon ? If so I will wait.

I suspect that guns will be in high demand later this year as election buying fever strikes yet again. If I wait too long there may be a lot of competition for the new guns :D

I'm also thinking of replacing my 38 J Frame with a Taurus in 327 - 6 shots and more energy BUT Taurus have a bad rep for durability (the opposite of Ruger)

Thanks in advance for your sage input

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I dunno about sage input but here goes.

I sure do like the SP101 in 327 that I have. I'd say go for it. The gun demand has already started ... Mike Fifer, Ruger's CEO, announced that Ruger has stopped taking new orders for a little while so they can get caught up. I do not think Ruger will be changing the rear sight any time soon. It works fine for me.

I have also heard about sketchy Taurus quality so I have held off buying one. I have held (but not shot) the Taurus in .327 and the recoil using .327 ammo would seem be substantial compared to my SP101. IMHO I would buy an LCR instead and stick with the 38 Special round. Wait 'till you feel that LCR trigger compared to a Smith J frame.... much better!

Cordite

Pale Horse

Bearcat
I love mine. I do wish it had the newer rear sight but although the sight looks fragile it seems to be fairly rugged once you hold it in your hand. Unfortunately I don't think these are huge sellers so I doubt Ruger will be redesigning the sight anytime soon. Maybe if they get more popular we would see some upgrades an changes but until then I think we are stuck with what we have.

And I would stay away from Taurus.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't care to open the usual debate over ballistics, energy figures, or the in's-'n-out's of having one more shot of a smaller caliber VS one less of a bigger caliber....so I'll skip on to this....

My wife and I both own/use older S&W model 36 (38Spl) revolvers. Aint no way that either of us would trade what we got for ANYTHING that Taurus makes.
That said though, there aint no fleas on the SP101. If I was wanting a .327 Magnum and didn't mind the increase in bulk/weight over a J-Frame, that is the direction I'd go.

As has been noted, Ruger makes good guns.

DGW

Don Davis

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input. I have not handled an LCR but they look weird, and I have an aversion to plastic. I can get S&W J frame cheaper (in 38) so would prefer that.

I would like a J Frame in 327, but that model seems to be real expensive for some reason.

Don't have much experience with Taurus, but have heard mainly bad things about them. Novice shooters love them, experienced shooter laugh at them.

Probably best get the SP101 ASAP - I think guns are going to be in short supply for a year or more. If there is a hint of a terrorist attack or a war things will be even worse. I can still remember the gun and ammo shortage from the time of the last elections.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I carry an SP101 in 327. I don't have any "small" 357's but I do have a GP100 3' with fixed sights.

I used to carry a 632 in 32H&R but the gun is too rare to be shot / carried daily.

I like getting the extra round (6 instead of 5) with the 32's in the smaller framed guns. I do not feel undergunned with the 327 at all.

You don't list your location but I saw two used 327's where I bought mine a couple of weeks ago for $400-425. A new one was $475 I think. PM me if you are interested.

My father has the Taurus 327 - he likes it but he will never shoot it much so durability will only matter if he wills it to me and I shoot it alot. I much prefer Ruger over Taurus but there is a lot worse than this around.

Good luck,

32Magfan

csnider

Single-Sixer
As I stated here right after the Las Vegas Shot Show in January, I was hoping to see a new SP-101 or LCR in .327 Federal while at the show.

Comments made by several Ruger reps when I asked about this was: the 327 Federal is a dead cartridge! I got similar comments at the Marlin booth when I asked about them ever making a Model 1894 in 327.

csnider

Don Davis

Bearcat
$475 to 500 seems to be the going rate for SP at moment. Does not seem long that they could be had for 3xx. I am in Indy area - need to customize profile. A lot of people around here are considering 32 mag to replace 38 - more power and one more shot. I think this will be a very popular caliber in the coming years.

Pale Horse

Bearcat
Don Davis said:
$475 to 500 seems to be the going rate for SP at moment. Does not seem long that they could be had for 3xx. I am in Indy area - need to customize profile. A lot of people around here are considering 32 mag to replace 38 - more power and one more shot. I think this will be a very popular caliber in the coming years.

That would be great, but as an early adopter of the .327 magnum I have my doubts.

On another forum there was a discussion a few months ago about the advancement of revolvers. The premise was that there were no semi-auto guns available and all we could own were revolvers. The question was what advancements we would like, and expect, to see. Many of the posts included the desire or expectation for smaller diameter and more powerful cartridges that would allow for higher capacity guns with little to now increase in size. In my mind, that is the .327 Magnum. A powerful little round that allows for an increased capacity without increasing the overall size of the gun. Heck, Smith and Wesson crams 8 rounds of .357 in a N-Frame; how many .327's could they fit in there?

So people want the .327 in theory, but in practice it appears not so much. My LGS told me last year that there are a ton of them sitting at his distributor and that he can get one anytime he wants but whenever he does they sit for months before anyone will buy one. So he leaves them sit at the distributor. My LGS also stocks .327 ammo but that too sits on the shelf for long periods of time.

Nobody wants to be an early adopter. They complain that there aren't enough loads available and that the price is too high. They say they are interested but will wait until it becomes popular. Unfortunately while everyone is waiting the round is dying. It is disappointing but not unexpected I guess. Look at the .41 Magnum and the .45 GAP. Those are some great cartridges that are not as popular as they should be IMO. But nobody wants to adopt anything that they can't find in bulk sitting on the floor of their LGS or on the shelf at Wal-Mart. Even fantastic cartridges like .357 Sig and 10mm are almost in that group though they seem to be mildly popular at least.

It also didn't help that shortly after this cartridge was released there was an election that caused a panic and it became impossible to find many types of ammo. The ammunition manufacturers all went into maximum production mode to try and keep up with the demand and I doubt that .327 magnum was at the top of the production schedule. So when the supply of .327 dried up, it dried up. It became very difficult to find .327 ammo during that time and it seemed like .327 was one of the last cartridges to come back when the panic started to end.

I hope I am wrong and I hope that in a few years people start to see the light, but I don't think I am. That isn't to say that you shouldn't buy one though and I am not trying to talk you out of it. Ammo is still available and while it may be higher priced it is most likely going to be available for a long time. For a SD gun the .327 still makes a great cartridge. It doesn't have to be popular to work very well and if I ever have to shoot someone I am won't really care about how much the bullet cost me or how many rap songs it has been mentioned in. I still like the .327 very much and regardless of my predictions of its future I will never get rid of mine.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
Right now, seems like the only SP101 that is still available among the big distributors is the .327 model, as the .38/.357 versions have all but disappeared. If you really want one, now's the time. Once the inventory of .327s is gone, it will be a while before they come back, if at all, because Ruger will be too busy catching up on the .38/.357 versions that are in higher demand and in low supply.

Don Davis

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. I am a fan of smaller bullets at higher velocities. I do not own a 45, but I do own a 357 SIG.

I read accounts of failures in forcing cones with some 327 revolvers - don't think they were Rugers though.

Charon

Single-Sixer
I probably should ask on the reloading section, but I have not seen any reloading dies for .327 Federal. Are there any available, or could something like a .32 H&R Mag be used by screwing it out, in the same manner as .38 Special dies are used to load .357 Mag?

1chig

Bearcat
Yes sir, i just ordered a set of the 32 h&r dies for my 327, got them from midway

Verndog

Blackhawk
Don Davis said:
Thanks for the input. I am a fan of smaller bullets at higher velocities. I do not own a 45, but I do own a 357 SIG.

The SP101 in .327 is a very versatile revolver and a blast to shoot. I have no regrets purchasing mine. I bought it for the wife to train and use for HD and we both really like it. It turns from pussy_cat to lion with a quick ammo change, and I find the .32 SW longs are great to train with. We put the CT laser grips on, they are a little longer and if feels great in the hand. Here is a pic of first day out about 6 or so months ago. Also, no failures and beautiful fit and finish on ours, and accurate to boot. 8)

SP101-21FT-DAY1.jpg

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have two SP101 in 327 and a GP 100 7 shot. It is an awesome round. I keep hearing about an ammo shortage, and I wonder if everyone realizes all the different rounds you can fire in that gun. I have shot a bit of 32 acp and it works fine for plinking, but 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, and 32 H&R are all proper subloads. I suppose if you are not a handloader it would be expensive to shoot. I bought a few boxes of the hot 327 ammo to try in the gun and then to carry when I do carry a SP101, but the vast majority of what I shoot are 1000 FPS handloads with lead bullets loaded in 32 H&R cases. It is MUCH cheaper to buy cast bullets for the 32 than the 38.

It gives near 357 performance without as much recoil and with an extra round of capacity.

Stay away from Taurus. The 327 is discontinued by Taurus and they are out there cheap due to problems they have had with 327 ammo in them. I suppose they are OK with 32 H&R, but I would not have a Taurus in any configuration. I owned a few many years ago, and they had their chance.

Just my opinion.

Pale Horse

Bearcat
Verndog said:
louiethelump said:
... I keep hearing about an ammo shortage, and I wonder if everyone realizes all the different rounds you can fire in that gun.

Ammo shortage is a thing of the past with .327 mag. But your right, plenty of other choices, and the 32 H&R mags are plenty fun to shoot also.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=1598

I ask that of everyone who complains about the lack of availability. I always wonder how many types of ammo one really needs. There are 3 defensive loads and 2 target loads and that is just in .327.

I do get that the ammo isn't as widely available as .38 and .357 and that it is more expensive for target loads but as a reloader I don't care about that. I do wish I could get a hold of some new brass though.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
You can get 327 Fed Mag brass from Freedom Arms.

Quote from their website:

Federal 327 Magnum Primed Brass.
Now in Stock currently shipping.
Available in quanities of 100 & 500 each. $27.00/100 or $133/500
To order Call 307-883-2468