The "Plastic" On A SR9....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

810wmb

Single-Sixer
this is prob a stupid question..

will the plastic frame on a sr9 wear out at some point? if so, how far down the road?

it crossed my mind last night...there wasn't much going on :lol:

jhearne

Buckeye
Shouldn't, normal use will be perfectly fine and then some......by 'normal use' I mean it's not a hammer, and if you reload the only problem I'd see is a Kaboom, but Ruger took care of the LCP Kaboom we saw earlier a few weeks back.

Josh

mekender

Single-Sixer
My suspicion is that the polymer in pistols, Ruger, Glock M&P Series, etc... Will outlast me and be perfectly fine to be used by my future grandchildren.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
mekender":uvpriiek said:
My suspicion is that the polymer in pistols, Ruger, Glock M&P Series, etc... Will outlast me and be perfectly fine to be used by my future grandchildren.

that would be my hope!

i would like to leave it to my son

greener

Single-Sixer
Since it is not made out of old milk cartons, it will last a very long time. The only, extremely minor, worries I see with these is getting a pin to start moving and enlarge a hole.

pisgah

Buckeye
When Ruger first camr out with the P95 they tested one with I-don't-know-how-many-tens-of-thousands of rounds. I do recall distincly that after 25,000 rounds there was NO measureable wear to the frame.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
GaryA":38mpozl4 said:
Do some internet searching on "ISOPLAST Engineering Thermoplastic Polyurethane Resins" and rest easy.
Still... After having lived at 8500' in Colorado for 5 years, I've seen the results of UV exposure. Plastics dry and crack over time. It would probably be well after I'm dead and gone, but I'd be interested to see if the poly guns have real longevity, like 50-100 years or more.

Then again, people cared about the old S&Ws and Colts, etc. I'm not so sure there will be people who will be so romantic about "original, antique" Glocks. Oh wait, of course there will. They're gun people and inherently nutz. ;)

For the record, I own two poly pistols now. Not completely bashing them, but they do lack the aesthetics of a nice blued steel and walnut piece, imo.

-- Sam

greener

Single-Sixer
but they do lack the aesthetics of a nice blued steel and walnut piece, imo.
Gotta agree with that. A tupperware (er, high tech polymer composite) Blackhawk just don't seem right.

The more impact resistant the plastic, the less susceptible to UV degradation. Also, they add carbon black to the polymer mix. It's not absorbed, but almost totally eliminates UV degradation.

Also notice that I'm not oiling the tupperware parts to prevent them from rusting.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
"they do lack the aesthetics of a nice blued steel and walnut piece, imo."

No question about that but they also seemed well designed for the task at hand.

pisgah

Buckeye
Doble Troble":1cic0zx1 said:
The bearing surfaces are steel. The plastic just holds them together.

It's been a while since I owned a P97, but if I recall correctly one of the things that distinguished it fro similar pistols was that it didn't have steel frame inserts, just the plastic.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
"it didn't have steel frame inserts, just the plastic"

True, Pisgah. And true of the P95 and P345 also. Since some forms of Dow's Isoplast have been used as gear wheels in heavy machinery, I guess the stuff is tough enough and has enough self-lubricating qualities that it works.

mekender

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":18zhkrx5 said:
GaryA":18zhkrx5 said:
Do some internet searching on "ISOPLAST Engineering Thermoplastic Polyurethane Resins" and rest easy.
Still... After having lived at 8500' in Colorado for 5 years, I've seen the results of UV exposure. Plastics dry and crack over time. It would probably be well after I'm dead and gone, but I'd be interested to see if the poly guns have real longevity, like 50-100 years or more.

Then again, people cared about the old S&Ws and Colts, etc. I'm not so sure there will be people who will be so romantic about "original, antique" Glocks. Oh wait, of course there will. They're gun people and inherently nutz. ;)

For the record, I own two poly pistols now. Not completely bashing them, but they do lack the aesthetics of a nice blued steel and walnut piece, imo.

-- Sam

i know years back glocks were tested to the extreme without and major damage... stories of them buried in sand and salt water for months without any noticeable wear other than rust on the metal...