Glock 22, anyone have experience with this gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

packard66

Bearcat
Anyone have any experience with this gun? good or bad? what can i expect to pay for a new one versus a good used one? and any clue as to how much night sights would cost to install?

thanks in advance!!!

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
They are frequently available as police trade-ins. Many already have night sites installed. I have seen them at recent gun shows for $350-400. Many used police magazines are also available. They are durable and dependable and reasonably accurate. Stay away from cast lead bullets unless you install an aftermarket barrel with cut rifling. Replacement parts -- if needed are easy to find and easy to install.

BTY, after market conversion barrels are available that allow shooting 9mm in the .40 frame (if 9mm magazines and ejector are used). It can really cut your plinking costs.

bub

Single-Sixer
packard66, I will freely admit that I am a Glock fanboy. However, the .40 Glocks might not be the best choice. They are notorious for poor case head support in the feed ramp area and there are many documented cases of even factory, never-been-fired brass bulging to various degrees when fired in a Glock. Several years ago, I had a Glock 23 that suffered a case head separation with factory Federal ammo. Blew the mag out and the extractor off. I was unharmed but the gun had to go back to Glock for repairs. The ammo, admittedly, was defective but this, in addition to the rest of the .40 Glocks I have read about and seen, turned me off on them forever. I have also personally witnessed bulged cases with several .40 Glocks, both factory and reloaded ammo.

I have also experienced some of the reloading issues. I tried reloading for my G23, since I cannot afford much factory ammo. I had to download the powder charge to where the slide just barely cycled to stop the brass bulging at the feedramp. Admittedly, the gun was laser accurate- whatever I pointed it at, it would hit, out to 25 yds.

In the end, it depends on what you want to use it for. If it will be a range toy and you plan on reloading for it, I'd skip the Glock and look for another brand. If you plan to use it for a defensive weapon and can afford to shoot only new, factory ammo, then it will likely be a good gun for you. Even with the issues, the vast majority of .40 Glocks are fine and have never had a problem. Just stay away from older Federal ammo headstamped "FC". Federal ammo headstamped "Federal", with the whole word spelled out, is OK.

I have absolutely no idea how much they run right now. I have read that prices are up due to the high demand for everything gun related right now, though, so I'd expect to pay a premium. Expect an extra $50 or more for night sights, based on the last time I looked at them.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Myself, I'd go with either a 9mm or .45 Glock and completely skip the .40 in this make, but it is ultimately your decision.

Bub

revhigh

Hawkeye
bub":3j23iy42 said:
Myself, I'd go with either a 9mm or .45 Glock and completely skip the .40 in this make, but it is ultimately your decision.

Bub

I'd skip .40 as a caliber altogether ... I've had 3 and they all were horrendous for accuracy. 9MM's are cheaper, more accurate, and ballistically equivalent if you pick the right round. As for the .40 Glock, I agree, get another brand if you MUST have a .40. It's the only caliber that has been a consistent KABOOM problem for GLock, due largely to the very poorly supported chamber. Note that I DO NOT MEAN that lots of Glock .40's blow up, but that the only ones that I've heard that HAVE blown up have been .40's. The hexagonal rifling as well as poorly supported chambers, combined with the .40 being a relatively high pressure round do not allow a whole lot of overpressure wiggle room. If you get some high pressure surplus or import rounds or make a mistake reloading ... it could be a problem with a Glock more so than another .40 which has a better supported chamber.

If you want something bigger than a 9, get a real gun, and get a 45.

REV

jhstancil

Bearcat
The Glock 40 cal series are great guns. I have all and would not trade them for anything else. They do have a bad rap for "Glocking" the brass….but if you don't reload it should not be a problem. If I carry the Glock I use the factory barrel. If I decide to carry them to the range and retrieve the brass for reloading I use a "Lone Wolf" barrel in my Glocks. The Lone Wolf barrel has much tighter chamber tolerances and does not exhibit the bulging that the Glock barrel does. Both the Glock and Lone Wolf barrels feed flawlessly with a wide range of ammo. Accuracy of both barrels are the same…POA

As for sights….I have the XS Big dot sights on my model 27. I believe they line up easier than any other I have tried. They also come with all tools necessary to install them yourself and take only about 30 minutes to install. The big dot sights are not really the best range target sights…but are more for combat situations were quick sight acquisition is required.

I used to have a Glock 17 (1st Gen) and Glock 23 (2nd Gen) The reasons I no longer have them, I told myself were purely financial. Something had to go. But of all my guns, why the Glock? Well, I suppose probably because i could get closer to them what I thought they were worth, closer to them what I paid.

I had a S&W Sigma .40 VE Stainless for a SHORT time being. This was a gun very similar to the Glock 23, in size and function at least. The grip/feel of the S&W was terrible, the trigger pull horrendous.

I still have 4 boxes of Winchester in .40S&W, but currently do not own a .40.
One box of SXT (black) one box of Rangers (gold) 2 boxes of Hollow Points (white)

Not sure if I should sell the ammo seeing as how hard ammo is to get. Or if I should just hold out for a new .40.

I'm kinda leaning towards buying another .40, Which leads me back to the original post I'm replying to. Glocks are great. I have a Glock 26 (baby 9mm) thats not going any were. I too am not sure if I want to make my NEXT .40 a Glock or not.

NO MORE GLOCKS FOR ME (as for now) at least. The 26 Didn't fit my hand either. Oh well. I wonder if there is a way to make them fit better.

jhstancil

Bearcat
I do like the Glocks….but another good choice in the .40 would be the SA XDM. I like mine and I thought it would be a good choice over the Glocks. If it came right down to it, I would have to give the Glock up and keep the XDM. I believe the XDM is a better value for the money over the Glock……Come to think of it….I haven't seen many I truly disliked….Johnny

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I agree with the warnings above. I have a Glock 22 frame but I sold off my G22 upper and purchased a second 9mm upper to use on the frame. You can buy an after market barrel (KKM as an example) that will give you a fully supported chamber but for me I decided I wanted to consolidate all my self defense guns to 9mm or 45acp so I sold the two 40s I had.

The Glock 22 is a great gun but the 40-cal glocks have had more kabooms then all other models.

You can often fing police trade in guns for real cheap in 40 S&W and mine was a police trade in. I think I paid only $350 for it but that was quite a few years ago now. It never caused me any problems and I really got rid of my 40s so that I didn't need to stock 40 ammo or 40 brass and bullets for reloading when I already had so many 9mms.

Many of the kabooms with the 40 Glocks come back to using reloads or lead bullets which causes excess pressure that the unsupported case head can't handle and KABOOM... Stick to factory FMJ and HPs and you can trust a Glock. Shoot lead bullets with the factory barrel and we will watch for the photos :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger":3qwhxqa4 said:
I still have 4 boxes of Winchester in .40S&W, but currently do not own a .40. One box of SXT (black) one box of Rangers (gold) 2 boxes of Hollow Points (white)

Not sure if I should sell the ammo seeing as how hard ammo is to get.

Sell the ammo .....

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I had a 3rd gen glock 22, but sold it at a gunshow. I personally never noticed any bulged cases, but I'm aware that it can be a problem. I got rid of mine because of ammo price and 40 was a little snappy and I wasn't very accurate with the gun. I payed $460 out the door for a new olive drap one back in december of 08, but that was a real good deal. I see more glock 22s for sale than anyother glock. $400-$420 for police trade-ins is fairly common around here.

jack76590

Bearcat
I recently sold my G22. It may have been part of a recent run with light rails that had problems. Mine used without light would jam if I let my grip loosen up just a bit. While I did not install a light, problems more common when light attached.

The Indiana State Police traded their G22s back to Glock for G17s. Kansas City having problems along with a lot of other police departments.

I think Glock invented "limp wrist" excuse for non functioning glocks - I mean no one wants to admit being a limp wrister. But I for one don't want a pistol that will fail to function if my grip is less than perfect.

While I could easily jam my G22 and G23, which I have yet to sell, I could not jam any of my Glock 9mm. Nor could I jam my G27 when I used the mags it was designed to take. But put a G22 or G23 mag in my G27 and it is jam city. Some speculation that the jams with 40 cal glocks involve "timing" or slide velocity as well as frame flex. Part of this explanation also often involved how rounds moved in mag. No firm answers.

So you might not be happy with a 40 cal glock reliability wise, but I do not think you will be disappointed with a 9mm glock. Good luck whatever your decision.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
If you get a 9mm glock and don't like it you will have no trouble selling it. People love 9mm glocks. I bet glock 17/19 is the best selling handgun today.

greenjeans

Bearcat
I took my Model 22 apart while reading this thread and there is almost no unsupported area in the chamber. Has Glock made some changes in newer pistols? Mine is a LE Model with the almost glossy black finish on the slide. Doesn't look like the pictures I have seen showing the unsupported area.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
greenjeans":1v3boqxe said:
I took my Model 22 apart while reading this thread and there is almost no unsupported area in the chamber. Has Glock made some changes in newer pistols? Mine is a LE Model with the almost glossy black finish on the slide. Doesn't look like the pictures I have seen showing the unsupported area.

My third generation seemed to be fully supported in the six o'clock position. Although the entire chamber is looser than other pistols. If I removed the barrel from my glock and put a round in the chamber it would rattle around in there more than my m&p or ruger. Of course they do this on purpose to have more reliable feeding. Whether it provides more reliable feeding I don't know.

Bigfelipe

Bearcat
The new glocks don't have headspace issues. They are much tighter. The older glocks were less supported and didn't need to be. They are combat guns designed to shoot nato ball ammunition(and they do it flawlessly), not lead or used brass hot reloads. That is the reason for the KBs. On rare occaision bad/cheap factory ammo will be the culprit. I carry Glock .40s exclusively and never had an issue with any of them. No KBs no bulged brass(I keep it and check), no issues whatsoever. I also love the 9mms and use them for competition/range work. You will not find a better firearm for the price. Ultimatlely, get what works for you and practice with it. Rent a few and try them out. I hear good things about the new ruger SR-9s too. Some folks like the XDs better. I love the S&W M&P. And if size is not an issue, my Ruger P91dc is a bad mother(just not great capacity)

Glock 22s and 23s should cost about 495-515 new and used police 22s should be under 400. The 9mm 17 & 19 are about 20-30 more due to demand right now.

On a side note. If you join GSSF for $35 a year, in addition to fun shooting events and free goodies, you get a certificate once a year allowing you to buy 1 glock at LEO pricing. For the 17, 19, 22, and 23 that's $398 new...