Ruger American Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I just picked up a American Compact that I had ordered in at my LGS. This is not my first Ruger American. I had the pro model when they first came out. I was going to keep it until they came out with one that had a thumb safety on it. I called Ruger and they told me that they were not going to bring it out with any external safeties. So I sold the American that I had and bought S&W M&P's. Two weeks later Ruger came out with the American that had the Thumb safety. Why would they not just tell me they were coming out with it.

Anyway after buying the M&P's I thought why change over again. But fast forward to the Compact model. I have always been really at heart a Ruger man. So I sold all my M&P's and bought all Ruger Pistols with safeties. I picked this compact American up today and I have to tell you, what a great little pistol. It just feels great in my hands with the small grip frame on it. I like every thing about this pistol. I liked the full size American that I had but without the thumb safety it was reduced to the safe and not by my bed side. This compact has everything that I like and need. Very Pleased with it.

Another good thing I believe is that the American has never been talked about much on the internet (except for the thumb knuckle thing, which does not effect me) much so that tells me they are just running and running really well. You very seldom hear a complaint about them.

Thanks for reading my comment, not much to say just wanted to give the American a thumbs up.

I am pleased with mine. I also sold my first American without the safety, so I could get one with a safety.

Times are changing. I trained extensively with guns that had safeties. So that's what I prefer. I'm now a minority.

Same with holsters. I've seen the fall out (no pun intended) of when a soldier loses a handgun. Our issue shoulder holsters had just friction for retention, and it doesn't always work as well as intended. It's always caused me to have a positive retention device of some kind on any holster I will use. That's old school now, too, and further makes me a minority.

Back to the American Compact. Very little fanfare from gun folks. And it's too bad people can't hear what a great little gun these are.

WAYNO.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Wayno,
I also train with safeties. Most because in the past I always had 1911's I really want the safety for my home defensive/Brd Side pistol because feeling around in the dark startled for a Pistol without a safety to me too many things can go wrong.

The Full size when I bought it I also was ho hum about it. I did not make me want to do flips, it just worked and fit me well. I always liked the M&P 9 Compact a whole lot so when this Ruger Compact came out I had to have it. This thing really makes me smile when I hold it. I like it better than the M&P 9C that I had. Can't really finger it on why, just fits me and it's a Ruger. I am a big Ruger guy.

What have you found for a holster?

I have a Blackhawk Serpa that fits. I would prefer a leather thumb break, but they're so far only made for the full size American. I just have a thing against a holster that's an inch longer than the barrel or slide.

Tried contacting the Ruger CEO about cataloging a holster for the Compact. No answer.

Then contacted DeSantis, and received a quick reply...

We are adding to the Ruger line holsters for the Ruger American Compact 9mm in the near future. I hope this helps. I will put your information on our suggestion list so you will be contacted once they are available.

Thanks,
Barbara Goodman
Customer Service Representative
DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods Co.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Right now the picking are a little slim. If you go on eBay there are a few and some that really look pretty good. Just type in Ruger American Compact Holster on the search. Right now I have two holsters that it fits into. Both were original bought for a Glock 26. The leather one I have 2 sandwich bags around the pistol in it to stretch the leather out a little bit to fit the pistol. The second one is a IWB Kydex holster that I need to heat up a little bit and form it around the pistol just a little better then I think it will be the main holster for it and work fine.

Good Luck on you're hunt. I may also buy one off of eBay if I get unsatisfied with mine between now and this Fridays payday. :)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have a Barsony leather belt slide that I use for my Glock 26. It isn't shaped for any particular gun and I bet it would fit the RAP compact just fine.

Kytrarewn

Bearcat
I have the Compact Pro Model, but I definitely sympathize with your preference for one of these having a manual safety. I've been idly considering trying to find a gunsmith to make the trigger just a hair heavier for me for the sake of safety. I'm not sure whether or not that's a good idea, though, since modifying the fire control group is typically frowned upon by prosecutors (yeah, that's usually removing safeties or lightening the trigger pull, but there's no reason that a prosecutor couldn't claim the reverse, as well).

As for holsters, the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3 is my go-to for this pistol. The Comp-Tac MTAC for the full-sized American fits it, but I find that having that little bit less kydex on the compact-specific Alien Gear makes a big difference while sitting. I might, still, eventually order a Crossbreed for the thing, but for $40 or whatever I can't complain about the Alien Gear. One thing to note: It's so tight when it arrives that it pushes the slide out of battery. You need to loosen it a bit for it to actually work for holstering and unholstering.