SR series future

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
Rei40c said:
tacticalreload said:
Some people get a little leery about disabling factory safety features. In these days of BS lawsuits, I guess I can't blame them.

I've ended up leaving mine in mainly for that very reason. After all I notice no real difference in function despite others saying it eases and smooths the trigger pull. Maybe it does, but I suspect you are really splitting hairs at that point in terms of how much it really does improve the trigger.

My particular SR trigger at least is just okay at best. I find it very similar to the majority of striker pistols I've tried and honestly they are not that great. Knowing removing that very slight extra bit of resistance and contact in the trigger pull would probably not make that much of a difference anyway is the second reason I've left it in.

That is part of it, but the primary reason to remove the disconnect has to do with reloading. I count down and drop the empty leaving the last round in the chamber. That accomplishes 2 things. The slide doesn't lock back so no messing with that, and I have a hot round ready to go if needed during a mag swap. This isn't something new and tricky. I was taught that 50 years ago and it's stuck with me.

Hey Gunny.....I've got no "mag disconnect" on my High Powers either, and for similar reasons. To me, the bottom line is...what good is a gun that won't shoot?...which is exactly what I'd have if for some reason, it's mag got lost over the side, or dropped in the mud, or dropped 'n lost in the dark, or dropped 'n damaged, or who knows. And yeah, those kind of things do happen out in the real world.

Would any of 'em ever happen to me?...I got no crystal ball, so I dunno. What I do know though, is that I'd rather deal with having to reload a single shot pistol than find myself with a gun that won't shoot. :lol: .

DGW

modrifle3

Buckeye
If the SR series is on the Cali roster it may stay for a while, but from what I have heard Ruger is no longer going to submit new models for approval.

Big driver is sales. Frankly with the American series, the SR series is dead man walking. Better design, better features, better accuracy and better build quality. Still looks like a d@mn Ruger billboard but that's just Ruger for ya.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
modrifle3 said:
Still looks like a d@mn Ruger billboard but that's just Ruger for ya.

I do wish they'd tone it down a bit overall. The SR series is probably the worst example with the bold typed SR9/SR40 in huge letters along the slide. Everyone knows appearances should not matter when choosing a carry gun. And likewise no one wants to own a gun they find ugly, they just don't speak as loudly about that. I don't want things like this on any firearm I own either no matter what it's purpose is.

I think if they had reduced the size of the printing by about %50 it would have been fine but I personally know of several people who commented on the absurdly large print, which is really an Ad on the slide. I'm positive it turned some people away from buying it at all. But I don't expect any changes, I just hope in the future they don't repeat this trend. It is slightly toned down on the American thankfully.

This is interesting to me how offensive some things are to some people. I never guessed the model engraving on the slide could be a deal breaker.

And at one time, more engraving was better...

On the other hand, the engraving font on a Springfield 1911 looks very chintzy to me, like cheap Chinese printing.

Marketing is a weird animal.

I did not even notice the size of the engraving on the SR-series. Still don't.

To each his own. :D

WAYNO.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
This is interesting to me how offensive some things are to some people. I never guessed the model engraving on the slide could be a deal breaker.

On the other hand, the engraving font on a Springfield 1911 looks very chintzy to me, like cheap Chinese printing.

WAYNO.

It wasn't a deal breaker for me but it was for others that found it ugly. I've had a SR40c on my hip pretty much every day since 2012, so it didn't bother me all that much obviously. Again maybe it's a silly thing but I don't really need the model of the firearm of the gun I own in my face every time I pick it up. I know what I own I don't need to be reminded what model I bought. It's a small thing yes but it bugs me. It's unnecessary. Offensive? No I wouldn't go that far. Just not needed, and I think the overall looks of the firearm would benefit from a more reduced print style such as the Ruger American. It's a small thing I'm pointing out. Not a reason to sell a firearm, make modifications ect. Just an annoyance.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Rei40c said:
WAYNO said:

WAYNO.

It wasn't a deal breaker for me but it was for others that found it ugly. I've had a SR40c on my hip pretty much every day since 2012, so it didn't bother me all that much obviously. Again maybe it's a silly thing but I don't really need the model of the firearm of the gun I own in my face every time I pick it up. I know what I own I don't need to be reminded what model I bought. It's a small thing yes but it bugs me. It's unnecessary. Offensive? No I wouldn't go that far. Just not needed, and I think the overall looks of the firearm would benefit from a more reduced print style such as the Ruger American. It's a small thing I'm pointing out. Not a reason to sell a firearm, make modifications ect. Just an annoyance.

I can live with it more than Rugers tendency to stop support of models rather quickly. I personally think the SR series will fade away like the P series if the American is as popular as I think it will be. Only time will tell. Beside the safety billboards that need removed, I would like to see the barrels in black on black guns. To me that would make the American a true hit.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I was an early adopter of the SR9 and it was junk--fixed by Ruger and promptly traded off ---didn't even shoot it after the fix-----I went whole hog and bought 4 or 5 extra mags and all that---still haven't bought another in all these years and the 9E is too expensive--$370 around here.

I won't be making the same mistake with the American---it will need to be out 5 years or so before I even consider it===unless it gets deeply discounted, which appears to be the case since nobody is buying them around here---already marked to $399---maybe I'll bite at $325???

My 3 P95's are still doing quite well.

modrifle3

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I'm saving for a new Browning Hi-Power, should have enough for it by spring. I figure an eighty year track record should be enough!

Fine pistol . . .

FergusonTO35

Hunter
All the SR pistols have been $400-430.00 around here ever since they came out. Perusing a few shops I see the price on them has dropped to $379.99 just this week. That is the SR9 and SR9c, not the 9E. I wonder if that is a sign the SR is on it's way out?

Scotsman1886

Bearcat
Bumping an old post,,been away a while.

I think the American was geared toword the Police market. Ruger has always been the underdog in the Police firearms area.
I carried a P90 as a city Policeman for over 20 years. When I retired at started with my new department(needed health insurance) I originally again used the P90. A change in the system used by our local DA(they take and keep your gun forever if you're in a shooting and the P90 has sentimental value) I switched to the American in 9mm.

The challenge is duty holsters but that is slowly being rectified.

To the point, the SR pistols are fine guns and I think if sales continue, they will keep making them.
In a nutshell I think they all have a place.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
22/45 Fan said:
The American Pistols are priced a bit above the SR's while the American rifles are "entry level" and much less costly than the 77 and it's successors so, they aren't intended for the same market segment. The SR series may continue as a lower cost line while the 77's have been reduced in models but will also probably continue as a premium line.

What do the SR pistols go for now? This past spring I bought a Ruger American Pistol for the wife to use. It was $400 from an online seller. Are the SR's less expensive than this. I never wanted an SR because I do not like Rugers magazine disconnect design.

Mike,
Are we talking about the SR1911 here? If so, the SR1911 has no mag disconnect. :lol:
Blackie

Mike J

Hunter
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Mike J said:
22/45 Fan said:
The American Pistols are priced a bit above the SR's while the American rifles are "entry level" and much less costly than the 77 and it's successors so, they aren't intended for the same market segment. The SR series may continue as a lower cost line while the 77's have been reduced in models but will also probably continue as a premium line.

What do the SR pistols go for now? This past spring I bought a Ruger American Pistol for the wife to use. It was $400 from an online seller. Are the SR's less expensive than this. I never wanted an SR because I do not like Rugers magazine disconnect design.

Mike,
Are we talking about the SR1911 here? If so, the SR1911 has no mag disconnect. :lol:
Blackie

Nope I was referring to the SR-9, SR-9c, SR-40, SR-40c etc. I remember when they were first introduced to replace the P-series pistols. I was honestly very interested in them initially because I had one of the P-series guns & was a member here. I decided against one partially because or the magazine disconnect.

FWIW I like the SR 1911.

Latest posts