My LCP and I parted ways.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joemsj51

Bearcat
I would return the laser, if it's defective. It is certainly needed in shot placements of being physically assaulted and an awkward shot is needed.

Your life may someday depend on that laser placement. I would get it fixed and get proficient using it in different positions, like being tilted on one leg - being bentover - being forced to one knee - having your arm(s) pinned 50-75%, when all you can move are your wrists and hand.....etc.....etc....etc.

Nano65

Bearcat
As long as we are talking about LCPs and lasers here is what I did to my homemade splatter target yesterday. I really do like this laser.

xa95jQdl.jpg

ilHxzoYl.jpg

44-357

Single-Sixer
joemsj51, I have the bobcat 32 acp it is sweet. I carried it backup at my old police dept. I agree I like the tip up barrel feature.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
joemsj51 said:
Here in Michigan, should you shoot someone, you better have a darn good explanation on why you chose to do so at 25'. You better prove your life was in imminent danger that far away. These are point and shoot guns and I would never sell mine.
There is a lot of wisdom to those words. For some time I have been concerned that I might make a mistake in judgment in using my pocket pistol. Accordingly, I'm very careful where I go, I carry a clear plastic covered $10 bill that is available if a perp should demand money. I also carry a decoy wallet with $40-$50 in it with a number of business cards made to look like someone's wallet. I have determined that the extraordinary stress and legal expense of dealing with a shooting makes it well worth avoiding. I still carry my little 380 in case there is a situation which I simply cannot avoid, like someone trying to stuff me in my car trunk. In that case, six rounds of gold dot.380 would be a good option. The LCP or in my case, Kel-Tec is just perfect to carry in the pocket for that unlikely event.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Nano65 said:
As long as we are talking about LCPs and lasers here is what I did to my homemade splatter target yesterday. I really do like this laser.

xa95jQdl.jpg

ilHxzoYl.jpg
What I found with the LC380 is that pulling the trigger on such a light weapon cause it to pull a little to the right. That would even be worse on the LCP. I have set my laser to compensate for that pull.

My LC9s is my primary carry gun but when I need to have a REALLY small gun, I carry my LCP with its Crimson Trace laser. I too found that the LCP (for me) was very difficult to fire accurately even at a 5 yard distance (which to me is about as far as I would likely ever need to shoot this gun) but with the Laser I can do fairly well. It was such a low cost gun and will not appreciate because millions of them have been sold so I would not part with it for the very few bucks I would get for it. Even if I don't carry it more than a few times a year its worth it, to me, to hold onto this gun.

DGW1949

Hunter
joemsj51 said:
Sturgis270 said:
First off let me state that I am well aware the LCP is not by any means any thing more than a close in weapon. I liked the way it carried easily in my pocket. My problem was hitting a target at 25'.

Here in Michigan, should you shoot someone, you better have a darn good explanation on why you chose to do so at 25'. You better prove your life was in imminent danger that far away from the bad guy.............

No offense to you personally, but I hear folks say that sort of thing a lot. To date, not a one that I've asked has been able to reference an actual Law which limits the use of deadly force to any certain distance.

Just sayin'.

DGW

joemsj51

Bearcat
You better have a good reason,. when asked on why you shot that gun at the distances you're discussing. It will be rare for you to shoot at long distances and be held commendable for it. Even cops in gun battles hardly-ever shoot at those-type distances.

Here in Michigan, we do not shoot our guns unless we are in imminent danger and it will be rare where imminent occurs at the distances being described here. Here, we are taught to take cover at those-type distances and use the cell-phone for added police protection.

We are not supposed to be the police. We are not to act like them.

After posting on this thread earlier, I realized it had been quite a long time since I had actually fired my LCP, and if nothing else, I probably should be shooting the rounds that have been sitting in this gun for the last year or so and put in some fresh ammo. So I went to the range yesterday. I will admit that I had almost forgotten how unpleasant this gun is to shoot with decent self defense ammo, and how even with the Crimson Trace laser the long, long trigger pull makes shooting this gun accurately almost too much for me. I practiced at 3 yards with good groups, 5 yards with sort of acceptable grouping, and 7 yards with mixed results. By the time I had fired a total of about 30 rounds my hand was hurting and my accuracy in the toilet.

I'm not quite ready to call it quits with the LCP for the reasons I stated in my earlier post, but I think that I will carry it ONLY when no other carry gun is feasible due to my clothing, the weather or any other factor. My LC9s is only slightly larger, and carries a much more effective caliber round, more capacity, and more importantly, I can shoot it accurately for self defense purposes very comfortably out to about 10 yards.

DGW1949

Hunter
joemsj51 said:
You better have a good reason,. when asked on why you shot that gun at the distances you're discussing. It will be rare for you to shoot at long distances and be held commendable for it. Even cops in gun battles hardly-ever shoot at those-type distances.

Here in Michigan, we do not shoot our guns unless we are in imminent danger and it will be rare where imminent occurs at the distances being described here. Here, we are taught to take cover at those-type distances and use the cell-phone for added police protection.

We are not supposed to be the police. We are not to act like them.

You say that 25' is beyond the "acceptable" range for self defense.
The distance from my bedroom door to the back door of my kitchen measures 39'...so what you're also saying is that if I hear, and then see, armed thugs entering my home through the back door which they just kicked in, that I'll be arrested for not waiting to shoot until they are right on top of me?......

What I say is....show me the Law which dictates such nonsense.
Go ahead and look...take all the time you need.

I'll be waiting right here.

DGW

I don't think the 25 foot distance applies when a thief is already inside your home. It probably would not apply outdoors either if the thug was pointing a gun at you or making any other sign of obvious intent to harm/kill you like a raised knife and moving toward you. But someone standing 25 feet away, without an visible weapon, yelling at you would probably be seen by most reasonable people as not a real threat to your well being and if you shot the person at this distance might not be seen as justified self defense. That all changes if the assailant is moving toward you or is standing within almost hitting distance with his hands or an object. If I was the intended victim of an attacker who was still 25 feet away I would be moving toward some cover while drawing my gun while I still had the chance to do so but if he stopped at that distance I would not likely be firing my gun.

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
It seems as if our country has been having a rash of shootings in public places. Very unlikely that any of us will be in such a situation. While unlikely, if I found myself being shot at from across a street, yard, etc. I would take actions of defense and yes the distance may well be greater than 25'. But that's just me.

DGW1949

Hunter
Hello vito....

No disrespect meant to you at all, but your last post is typical of what we've all seen posted many times over the years, and/or of what a lot of the rag-writers have been spouting for years. Lots of "what I thinks", "here's what I'd do's", various recommendations, warnings about "this or that will happen if you do this or that", and a lot of repetition regarding some mythical "6' rule", "25' rule", or whatever else "distance rule" some self-styled expert has decided we all must adhere to...etc. etc.
No doubt that all of that sort of stuff has been done with good intentions......but...

What I'm (still) waiting on here is for someone to reference an actual Law which defines ANY certain distance being required relative to satisfying an "imminent danger" clause, OR a Law which states that being outside of ANY certain distance prohibits one from using deadly force to defend themselves.

My position is that there aint no such Law....which by extension means that there aint no "rule" about it either.
But hey, I could be wrong.
If I am, show me the Law which says that I am, and I'll happily apologize to everyone concerned.

DGW

Latest posts