Ruger american 9mm guide rails ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jim Puke

Hunter
jstanfield103 said:
Had the SIG P320, nice gun, but nothing on the M&P that I already had

BINGO!

sig makes only 2 guns that I would have...938 and 290...both, pocket guns.

Screw those HiPoint looking and feeling sigs.

revhigh

Hawkeye
lostdog said:
Had a man come into shop with a CZ compact , the firing pin spring had wore right threw at 1100 rds he said ! :

Riiiiiight .... That happens all the time with CZ's :roll: .... All tens of millions of them in use all over the world. Either that man was full of it or you're just flat out making stuff up to denigrate one of the finest firearms in the world. If you want to talk about stuff that REALLY DID HAPPEN ... how about addressing the P345 click-no-bang syndrome, or some of the other infamous Ruger new release failures.

There's not a person here who believes that statement actually happened. He may have 'said' it (because he was an idiot) ... But it didn't happen. Sounds to me like amateur kitchen table gun smithing gone wrong.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Jim Luke said:
jstanfield103 said:
Had the SIG P320, nice gun, but nothing on the M&P that I already had

BINGO!

sig makes only 2 guns that I would have...938 and 290...both, pocket guns.

Screw those HiPoint looking and feeling sigs.

You're the ONLY person I've heard compare Sig to Hi-Point.

LOL... And the only person you're likely to EVER hear it from.

People who can't afford Rolexes compare them to Timexes as well .... Or Mercedes or BMW to chiverlays ... :D

Jealousy pure and simple.

REV

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I've had the Sig P320, The Sig P290, The M&P Pro. Not a problem with any of them and several others over several years. Berettas and the list goes on. I admit that I am a Ruger guy and never have denied that. I have said this before and will say it again. I believe the Ruger American Pistol combines all the best parts of several manufactures in one package. Is it earth shattering ? Nope. Does it give you that Awe Feeling ? Again Nope. The only complaints that I have heard is that it rubs the thumb knuckle on some people. It does not due this to me so I am happy with the fit and looks. It shoots as accurate as I need a self defense gun to shoot. This is a Range / Home Defense gun with a Stream light. Light and Laser on it. I have not heard of any malfunctions of any kind with the gun. In fact except for this and a couple other threads the internet is really pretty quite about this gun. Which tells me it is actually working. I agree with Rev and a few others, still pretty early to say much about the gun as of yet. All I can say is I like it and glad I bought it. But Like said I am a Ruger person through and through. If Ruger does not make it I will buy another brand, but if they do I buy Ruger. Why, because I trust them to work and trust if I have any problems (which I never have had any with Ruger) they will take care of it.
My Brands are Ruger for hand guns, Marlin and Henry for Rifles, and I only own 1 shot gun and it is a CZ stage coach because no American company makes them. I do also own an Uberti 1860 Henry in 45 Colt because Henry does not make the 1860 in 45 Colt.
You can knock me for being a brand loyalist but I am a pretty loyal person if the company and or people are loyal to me.

lostdog

Bearcat
revhigh said:
lostdog said:
Had a man come into shop with a CZ compact , the firing pin spring had wore right threw at 1100 rds he said ! :

Riiiiiight .... That happens all the time with CZ's :roll: .... All tens of millions of them in use all over the world. Either that man was full of it or you're just flat out making stuff up to denigrate one of the finest firearms in the world. If you want to talk about stuff that REALLY DID HAPPEN ... how about addressing the P345 click-no-bang syndrome, or some of the other infamous Ruger new release failures.

There's not a person here who believes that statement actually happened. He may have 'said' it (because he was an idiot) ... But it didn't happen. Sounds to me like amateur kitchen table gun smithing gone wrong.

REV
We did order a new Striker pin and spring assembly set for the CZ 75 Compact , even a CZ spring will wear threw! I need not lie to you or anyone else here. Most of us dont have tunnel vision when it comes to guns. I think the Sig's and CZ are good guns You dont need to attack me , nor need to be all butt hurt over this !
All I wanted to bring out was that we have shot and have some feed back on the American 9 mm .
I was a member here about 6 yrs. back under a different name + password,which I lost ...let's all have a great day

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm still betting he messed with it. .... Probably trying to give it a 'better' trigger, and screwed something up. I've never heard of a CZ needing fire control work after 1000 rounds.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
lostdog said:
revhigh said:
lostdog said:

REV
We did order a new Striker pin and spring assembly set for the CZ 75 Compact

Really ? I bet those parts were difficult to find ... If not impossible ... Since the CZ75 Compact isn't a striker fired gun .... It's a HAMMER fired gun, and therefore has no striker pin, and/or spring assembly .... :D

REV

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Too many parts for me . I shot a box of ammo through the 9mm version. I wanted to like it but I just couldnt get over the long trigger reset and short-stroked a few times.
Plus there are just too many parts in that sub-assembly for me.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I examined the RAP at the fun store yesterday, they had it stickered at $439.95. Decent looking and feeling gun but I like the SR series better. Ruger has about got all the bugs ironed out of the SR's and most people are quite happy with them. I hope they continue to offer the SR's, but something tells me they won't. In any event the RAP doesn't make me want to ditch my Glocks.

revhigh

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Ruger has about got all the bugs ironed out of the SR's and most people are quite happy with them.

LOL ... After 8 1/2 years I would hope so .... :D

About time for Ruger to make them go away pretty soon I'd think, which usually means a fire sale at places like CDNN. Probably about $299 I'd guess. Same as they've done with the 95's, 345's, and LCP's.

REV

Yawn

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
lostdog said:
We did order a new Striker pin and spring assembly set for the CZ 75 Compact

Really ? I bet those parts were difficult to find ... If not impossible ... Since the CZ75 Compact isn't a striker fired gun .... It's a HAMMER fired gun, and therefore has no striker pin, and/or spring assembly .... :D

REV

Oops. :shock:

Apparently "unpleasant" is a synonym for "correct" now. I guess speaking truth is now ranting. America the In Trouble. Rest in Peace Justice Scalia!

I would LOVE a striker fired CZ!

Rei40c

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
FergusonTO35 said:
Ruger has about got all the bugs ironed out of the SR's and most people are quite happy with them.

LOL ... After 8 1/2 years I would hope so .... :D

About time for Ruger to make them go away pretty soon I'd think, which usually means a fire sale at places like CDNN. Probably about $299 I'd guess. Same as they've done with the 95's, 345's, and LCP's.

REV

mm I don't think the Sr's will suffer the same fate as the P guns. Eventually maybe but not now. And not because of the Ruger American pistols. I simply don't think the American is good enough. Comparing the SR to the American and then asking myself what of any real significance it brings to the table there is really only one true improvement I see. And that is the addition of a steel guide rod on the main recoil spring.

If I am missing something great about these pistols when compared to the SR's please tell me because I do not see it.

- Worse erogs
- Worse Trigger (Triggers are a matter of opinion many times, but at best it's a draw)
- Sights (I'm calling this a draw both are 3 dot white sites.)
-Capacity no advantage
-It's heavier than the Sr's by 3-4 oz. Not much, but for no gain in my opinion.

What does this gun do better than the Sr? I see nothing worth noting.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
How I think the Ruger American could and still could be a success:

1. Roll it out with night sights only. And with quality sights at that. Trijicon, Mepro ect. I don't care if it increased the price point $150. It would have gotten peoples attention and I believe they would have paid it. Stop trying to be the bargain pistol and go for the $750-900 market.

2. Completely rework the grip of this pistol and the ergo's in the rear behind and below the slide. I'm talking a blank sheet of paper and a complete redo. Smooth up the dovetail that's busting peoples thumbs, forget the palm swell and go with a more traditional 1911 grip.

3. Make the lower a Anodized Aluminum or some lightweight METAL. There in my opinion no market for yet another full sized 9mm polymer service pistol. We have hit critical mass. Do something different, get peoples attention. And since they already made the American way heavier than it really needs to be little is lost, and a lot is gained by claiming an all metal lightweight frame. Bring in some of the P gun fans who maybe could get on board with this pistol.

3. Extend the barrel to a full 5 inches (or even 5.25) in the service "full sized" variant. This gun comes in .45acp. Many 1911 guys will take notice it's got nearly the same barrel length (and velocity) comparable to a full sized 1911 but with much better capacity. Also slightly better sight radius. Good selling point. They've already made a monster of a gun size wise. Go the extra mile and extract all the advantages possible from a large pistol. No one is going to try to ccw this.

:( Sorry for the rant I just see so many missed opportunities for what this new pistol could have been. What I see now will fail in my opinion in the long run and as a Ruger fan, it frustrates me.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
How I think the Ruger American could and still could be a success:

1. Roll it out with night sights only. And with quality sights at that. Trijicon, Mepro ect. I don't care if it increased the price point $150. It would have gotten peoples attention and I believe they would have paid it. Stop trying to be the bargain pistol and go for the $750-900 market.

2. Completely rework the grip of this pistol and the ergo's in the rear behind and below the slide. I'm talking a blank sheet of paper and a complete redo. Smooth up the dovetail that's busting peoples thumbs, forget the palm swell and go with a more traditional 1911 grip.

3. Make the lower a Anodized Aluminum or some lightweight METAL. There in my opinion no market for yet another full sized 9mm polymer service pistol. We have hit critical mass. Do something different, get peoples attention. And since they already made the American way heavier than it really needs to be little is lost, and a lot is gained by claiming an all metal lightweight frame. Bring in some of the P gun fans who maybe could get on board with this pistol.

3. Extend the barrel to a full 5 inches (or even 5.25) in the service "full sized" variant. This gun comes in .45acp. Many 1911 guys will take notice it's got nearly the same barrel length (and velocity) comparable to a full sized 1911 but with much better capacity. Also slightly better sight radius. Good selling point. They've already made a monster of a gun size wise. Go the extra mile and extract all the advantages possible from a large pistol. No one is going to try to ccw this.

:( Sorry for the rant I just see so many missed opportunities for what this new pistol could have been. What I see now will fail in my opinion in the long run and as a Ruger fan, it frustrates me.

Meh, you naysayers might be right about this being a flop, but I hope not. Although I think your points here are valid if that's how you feel, I'm almost diametrically opposite in my views, which is why I'm going to buy a RAP as soon as I find one in my neighborhood. To your points:

1. I don't need night sights on any gun. I know some feel they're necessary, but not all of us do.

2. I've handled a RAP (though haven't fired on yet) and it feels great in my hand, at least. I'm aware of the issue some folks are having with their thumb knuckles getting sore, but it's not going to be an issue for my long, bony fingers.

3. If this gun were aluminum-framed, I wouldn't dream of buying it. Aluminum is a great metal for making beer cans and AR-15 receivers. I strongly veer away from it when it comes to semi-auto pistol frames. While we're on the subject of frames and materials, this is one area that pushed me toward the RAP over competing guns. The steel sub chassis of the RAP is machined from a big monolithic hunk, instead of being a chintzy stamped and folded piece ala the Sig 250/320. I see it as a big step up in build quality.

4. I actually like the size of this gun, and as I'm really only interested in the 9mm version, the lack of a 5" barrel doesn't mean much to me. And, as an aside...I wouldn't say nobody is going to use this gun for ccw. After all, I am. But I've never had trouble concealing full-sized guns.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I don't think it's a matter of it being a 'flop', but it's just nothing new and/or exciting in the duty size SA. Arena.

The only thing that could make me look twice at it would be demonstrated real life exceptional accuracy, and a decent trigger, which Ruger has only once been able to accomplish with the P90.

Just another M&P or XD copy.

REV

Rei40c

Blackhawk
19thonthe side & Rev- I understand your points, and I know there are those who manage to ccw large full sized pistols. It's just that in the people I've run into who ccw you are in a very small percentile. It's not so much that I think the gun is bad, just my frustration is that it's nothing new that hasn't already been covered in other iterations of firearms multiple times by multiple manufacturers. I have to ask what this gun does that the Glock 17 didn't do decades ago, or the Beretta 92 even in it's multiple versions, or the XD series by Springfield, or the Ruger SR series and on and on and on, (insert just about any full sized poly 9mm on the market today).

Please understand my rant while directed at the American in this case really extends to a lack of imagination I've been seeing over the last 5-10 years across all manufacturers.

I'm going on record now as saying we as human beings have produced and manufactured in mass enough full sized 9mm poly pistols in traditional configurations. :lol: We can stop now... unless and until something truly revolutionary is conceived. You can only reinvent the wheel so many times until it becomes redundant. I think we hit that point years ago in the past and it's starting to wear on me seeing yet another "new" design that really isn't very new at all.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Absolutely agreed ... Which is why I own a Sig 226, 225, and 2 CZ75's. I only buy exceptionally accurate guns with good triggers.

That's why the Ruger SA's don't appeal to me at all. Been there with a P89 and 91. Shot a bunch of SR's. None can compete accuracy wise with the CZ's or Sigs.

Only plastic I own is a G26 and a KT P3AT ... Just for carry. Have zero desire for plastic guns.

REV

Latest posts