Ruger LCP - 1st CC Handgun...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louchia

Single-Sixer
If you are not familiar with Gen1 or2 take note of what was pointed out here., especially NO Dash ser#= gen2. Gen 1 had a potential problem with the trigger mechanism that Rugar fixed. Fixed guns have Diamond mark bellow the flat surface below the hammer . You would not notice it if you didn't know about the mark. You can check their web site . They show a picture of the marking.
I believe the Gen 2 also has a lighter (7-9lb) trigger.

joemsj51

Bearcat
Cleaning my new LCP last night was pretty easy. Only hangup I got was the five minutes it took me to reinsert the takeout pin. What a PITA it was. I never got it resolved BTW.... my wife did. It was she that got it started in the hole.

I'm guessing it needs to be angled upwards to start it?..... is that correct?
Fr those that rework/reface that pin, I'm not looking to retool it on a grinder wheel, or file it down. Looking to keep it original as-is.

exavid

Hunter
Considering the guns you currently own I'd recommend you take a look at the LC9. The LCP is a fine small gun with the emphasis on small. It takes quite a bit of work to become reasonably accurate with such a small gun. I have one and carry it often in the summer but I've been shooting handguns for a long time and it took me around 800rds to get reasonably competent with it.
The LC9 is a much easier pistol to get used to. The recoil isn't bad and with the new striker fired version it's a lot easier on the trigger than my older hammer fired version. The 9mm cartridge is a good bit more powerful than the .380 as well. Extra energy can help somewhat when bullet placement isn't as good as it should have been.
You can probably find a used older model LC9 for a good price as most people are going for the striker fired version. The hammer version is dead reliable and with its long somewhat heavy trigger pull it's a gun you don't need to use the safety on.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
GKC said:
djw54 said:
Prices have been all over the board the last two months, and vary by location. Lgs has the custom at $329. When I saw grabagun advertising it for $220ish, I went back to local shop and they had just dropped it to $249 with Ruger's price drop. Perhaps not all shops chose to follow suit.

Edited to add: I'm talking about the Custom.

Are you saying the Custom was priced at $249? Around here, the Custom is still pricing at above $300...it's only the standard LCP that is selling for $229 to $249, depending on the store...if anyone has any in stock. Most don't.
no he's referring to the standard model

djw54

Single-Sixer
MountainWalker said:
GKC said:
djw54 said:
Prices have been all over the board the last two months, and vary by location. Lgs has the custom at $329. When I saw grabagun advertising it for $220ish, I went back to local shop and they had just dropped it to $249 with Ruger's price drop. Perhaps not all shops chose to follow suit.

Edited to add: I'm talking about the Custom.

Are you saying the Custom was priced at $249? Around here, the Custom is still pricing at above $300...it's only the standard LCP that is selling for $229 to $249, depending on the store...if anyone has any in stock. Most don't.
no he's referring to the standard model

I see I said "has" vs. "had" in my original post. To clarify, the local small shop had the LCP Custom at $329. When the prices dropped, the local shop dropped their price on all of their LCPs, including the Custom, to $249. I bought it at that price. They only had the one. In contrast, I was in Gander Mountain on Saturday, and they still had a Custom in their case, and for a very good reason. They have it marked at $399!

EQUILIZER

Bearcat
I just purchased my 380 in DEC 2015 at a gun show. Brand New NIB $219.00 Cash. Gen 2 no dash in serial number. Good luck.

I bought my LCP years ago, brand new after the Gen 2 came out, and thought I had a gen 2 cause the sights were so good. Well, I have a Gen 1, as someone pointed out about a year ago. I have and carried a Keltec P-32 for years prior, and the Ruger Gen 1 was an improvement to me 8). Both are good guns, and more accurate than me. I have used the Ruger to euthanize a wild hawg after I hit it with the car, killed rats in the yard etc. cause it is what I had available. :lol: Good luck!
gramps

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I recently bought my second LCP (gen 2) from Grabagun for $199. They had the custom for $220 but I read a few bad reviews about the trigger on the custom so I opted for the standard model.

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Some say lcp gut gun. Don't worry bout sights.

That out of the way...

Custom sights much better, but methinks snaggy for pocket carry.

Regular sights less snaggy, but if you really want them useful, drill a dimple and paint w white or flo yellow. Easy to do.

Be sure to get pocket holster covering trigger and carry no other items in pocket with gun. Careful on draw. I reholstet with all out of pocket.