LC9 to LC9S Pro

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harleycuda

Bearcat
New guy here. I have a LC9 NRA pistol, but I just got to play LC9S Pro, what a difference. Question, can I put a LC9S Pro trigger group in my old LC9? TY

I don't know, anything is possible... and I suspect some of the shade tree gun smiths here will eventually figure out what Ruger did to improve the trigger on the LC9 and work up ways to modify older models.... for good or bad. My one thought on the subject is.... for the cost of a new LC9s pro... why bother? Much easier to just go and buy it and have the two.

harleycuda

Bearcat
I believe your correct, I just figured if I could buy a trigger group parts kit for under $100, I'd do that. I own several Rugers so I plan to be a local on this forum from now on. I shoot a lot of Cowboy Action, as far as I'm concerned the Vaquero and Blackhawks are the best game in town. Thank you gentlemen.

Sonnyd

Bearcat
The new LC9 is striker fired, the old I'd hammer fired. That would be a pretty big mod. I don't think a parts kit would be sufficient

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Instead of pondering mechanics, I'll contribute simply that Ruger will only repair/return guns to their as-shipped configuration (excepting recalls of course).
They will not modify guns to non-original config.
Sell the LC9 as a reliable fine-quality belly gun, and buy the other model if desired.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Actual shooting between the two may not be all that different. Perhaps you would be better off just keeping what you have. The notion of selling the striker weapon and removing thumb safety and calling it a "Pro" seems like a sales gimmick. The new striker trigger is much shorter and only 4.5-5 pounds and a good positive thumb safety seems like a good idea for a small concealment gun hidden under clothing. It would be simple matter to practice with and always use the thumb safety. I thought this video was interesting. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/gun-comparison-ruger-lc9-vs-lc9s/

harleycuda

Bearcat
Thanks you, Mountain Walker excellent video. While I was there I found exactly what I was looking for, Galloway Precision make a LC9 Trigger Kit that shortens the trigger stroke by 35% for $99. Appreciate all the posts gentlemen.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Harley,
As an LC9 owner my main concern is whether or not my LC9 is reliable. I like to shoot 400 trouble free rounds to make absolutely certain. However, I will have a good idea in the first 100 rounds. If my LC9 is reliable in function and shoots to point of aim, I can learn to manage the trigger pull. One invaluable aid are snap caps which allow you to dry fire the gun without worry. Learning that trigger is good with the snap caps because a person can see the mistakes he is making and develop the skills of holding the sights on target and knowing when the trigger is going to break. The new striker has a better trigger but you can get there with some practice and the old LC9.

Snap caps can sure save a lot of money on ammo and provide some training that you can't get with live fire. Doesn't eliminate need for live fire, just compliments it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/642438/a-zoom-action-proving-dummy-round-snap-cap-9mm-luger-aluminum-package-of-5