Had a Malfunction in the LC9-S Yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I still love the gun and I know it can happen to any gun, but it was my first so I figured I'd post about it. I wish I had taken a pic of it. The case was only halfway out of the chamber. I dropped the mag and racked the slide and it came out the rest of the way and ejected. I had been firing my reloads but switched over to Federal 115 grain fmj. I put probably 70 rounds through it and that was the only malfunction. I've shot probably 400 rounds through the gun. No problems at all. I thouroughly clean and lune the gun and magazines after every range visit.

It's my carry gun and it's not as pleasant to shoot as my other guns, but I'm gonna shoot it a lot more just to really make sure it's reliable. Before I started reloading, I shot much less, but with warm weather coming that's gonna change.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
That could be a bad sign, unfortunately. If you haven't already, check this thread: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218884 for pictures of a bad LC9s extractor.

If your extractor is loose like this call Ruger for a shipping label...the gun won't fix itself and if yours is like mine it will jam consistently (with exactly the kind of horizontal FTE you described) if the pistol is shot on an angle, limp wristed a little, etc...I.e. all things that are more likely to happen in a real defensive situation.

If your extractor is tight like it should be then I'd just shoot the gun a lot and work up a tolerance for the recoil. Remember that if you have problems with limp wristing when slow-firing at a range the problem will be worse, not better, under pressure.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:
That could be a bad sign, unfortunately. If you haven't already, check this thread: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218884 for pictures of a bad LC9s extractor.

If your extractor is loose like this call Ruger for a shipping label...the gun won't fix itself and if yours is like mine it will jam consistently (with exactly the kind of horizontal FTE you described) if the pistol is shot on an angle, limp wristed a little, etc...I.e. all things that are more likely to happen in a real defensive situation.

If your extractor is tight like it should be then I'd just shoot the gun a lot and work up a tolerance for the recoil. Remember that if you have problems with limp wristing when slow-firing at a range the problem will be worse, not better, under pressure.

I saw that thread but my extractor holds the case in nice and tight. I tossed the slide with the round in it up in the air a few times and caught it. Bullet never came out.

But I took it to the range again today just to test it out. Fired 150 rounds of the Federal. Mostly fast triple taps. Fired from the side. Upside down. Limp wristed it big time. All rounds fired and extracted fine.

One thing I did notice is now that the gun is breaking in, the cases don't seem to be ejecting into the next county like they had been. They're landing generally in the same area and not as far away.