worst semi-auto experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RonnyJ

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
Don't know if this was the worst or the best, but I had a 1911a1 service pistol go full auto for 3 rounds during annual qual once. It was certainly interesting. :shock:

I had that happen with a glock 17. Installed a new 3.5 trigger instead of a 5.5 standard trigger. And it went in two and three rounds bursts every mag. Uninstalled and took to a gunsmith. He tried it in all of his glocks and did the same thing. Was scary at first but then super fun. People at the range were staring though.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
when I was a youngster I bought a "Jennings" and then swapped it for another el cheapo, then sold that whatever it was and bought a revolver. the only issue I have ever had with a quality weapon was my LCP. right side rail separated from the frame and the pistol quit cycling. when I field stripped at the range, the rail fell out onto the table. the good news is Ruger rebuilt the little snot around my serial number with expected satisfactory results. Ruger CS is the best.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
pjvrefugee said:
the only issue I have ever had with a quality weapon was my LCP. right side rail separated from the frame and the pistol quit cycling. when I field stripped at the range, the rail fell out onto the table. the good news is Ruger rebuilt the little snot around my serial number with expected satisfactory results. Ruger CS is the best.
Yah...I noticed that the rails on the frame are really kind of skimpy on my LC9s compared to anything else I own. I'm probably going to be shooting it almost weekly in "BUG" division of IDPA since that new division is official and required for local matches, as of the effective date of the new rule book (the whole reason I joined IDPA and a local club was to get some quality time with my CCW).

Time will tell whether the little booger stands up to a hundred or so rounds a week, I guess. I have my doubts, but we'll see. At least they aren't expensive...if I shoot it all wobbly in six months I guess I'll just buy another. :(

Rabon

Single-Sixer
With out a doubt my worst ever was an early production LC 9 and I knew better than buy it when I did. It had every problem known to man as well as a few others, I turned it into a personal vendetta to make it work, when I got it all straightened out, up and running I traded it in on a Shield (I took a big hit one that one). :)

RatBird

Bearcat
I bought a Thompson Center 22 classic. It was the best shooting most accurate semi auto .22 I've ever owned for about 50 rounds. It started jamming continuously. I would clean it and it would work for about 10 rounds then start jamming again. I took it apart and polished any surface that showed any contact. That helped for awhile. But then it started jamming so bad I had to dig the fired cases out with a pocket knife. I guess Thompson was replacing the bad rifles with a new series but then they quit producing them altogether. They offered me a trade for a completely different rifle but I traded the Classic on something else.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i don't have any ruger auto pistolas, but i have a couple of others. the bad one was/is the kahr cm9. one problem after another. nose dive jams. i massaged the magazine followers, and that took care of that problem. the feed ramp played demolition derby with the magazine followers. i altered the shape of the ramp, and took care of that problem. after a couple hundred rounds, the trigger went spastic, and wouldn't reset. i sent it back to them, and to their credit, even though i had modified the feed ramp, they replaced a bunch of parts, and said my problem was "atypical". it now shoots perfectly, and probably will for a very long time, seeing as how i put about three rounds per year through it. i think i'll get rid of it. no more kahrs for me. my xd45, on the other hand, is PERFECT! about a thousand rounds so far, and not a single malfunction. NOTHING. i stuck a laser on it, and it sleeps next to me. what a great gun. a natural pointer, accurate, stone wall reliable. like my ruger revolvers.

FelixD

Bearcat
Without doubt it was a Kel-Tec PF9. I bought it before Ruger came out with the LC9. First, I think all guns will have an occasional lemon for whatever reason. I think I got one when I bought the PF9. I'm not knocking the company. They treated me very well and replaced the pistol frame twice. The customer service was great and never had an argument with them. They did stand up behind their pistol. Here are the problems. Two Cracked slides, 2 broken assembly pins, 1 cracked frame, 2 weak extractors. The gun is on its third serial number.

Cholo

Staff member
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I had a K40 for a brief period of time. Wasn't a bad gun per say, it had some reliability issues out of the box. Broke it in, gun hurt my hand to shoot so I sold it.
Then you'd love my micro Kahr PM40 :) Around Jan. '97 I bought an electroless nickel K40. It fits me like a glove. I'm not debating that it didn't work for you. A scandium S&W .38 +P is just brutal to me. No thanks!

An AMT Back Up in 380acp that I purchased in 1982....I was better off throwing rocks than trying to shoot that piece of crap. Never got a full mag through it and I finally threw it in Lake Ossipee, never to be seen or heard from again...

What a POS!

psl1959

Bearcat
Cholo said:
A Galesi Brescia .25 ACP. I bought it from a friend back in '75 or so for $25 with full disclosure--it was a one or 2 shot gun before it jammed. He was right. I shot it into a pine 2x4 and the bullet didn't penetrate. In fact, I could wiggle it out with my fingers. My Ruger .22 Single Six ( see avatar) could penetrate the board with shorts. I sold it to my black friend, Henry H, for $30, with full disclosure...

Reminds me of a story that a friend told me years ago. One of his coworkers showed up for work one Monday after an alcohol enhanced weekend with little round band-aids stuck all over his head. He had came home drunk, his wife wouldn't let him in, so he kicked the door in and she unloaded a .25 Auto on his head. None had penetrated any farther than flesh. I can't remember if his name was Henry or not. :lol:

Al James

Hunter
FelixD said:
Without doubt it was a Kel-Tec PF9. I bought it before Ruger came out with the LC9. First, I think all guns will have an occasional lemon for whatever reason. I think I got one when I bought the PF9. I'm not knocking the company. They treated me very well and replaced the pistol frame twice. The customer service was great and never had an argument with them. They did stand up behind their pistol. Here are the problems. Two Cracked slides, 2 broken assembly pins, 1 cracked frame, 2 weak extractors. The gun is on its third serial number.

Just curious? Did they send the replacements directly to you OR did you have to go through an FFL each time to get the replacement guns?

jb1911

Bearcat
I bought a Nano when they first came out. I had so many FTEs that I sent it back to Beretta to fix ... twice. They did not fix it. I sold it and bought an LC9s. Same problem and it's been back to Ruger for a fix. Not fixed. I'm sticking with my G26 which is as reliable as a hammer. And don't tell me I'm limp wristing, a carry pistol should function reliably no matter how you hold it or who's holding it. Even left handed.

What an interesting thread! Great topic DA...

I had a Smith and Wes model 41. I bought it used and actually test fired it first. It worked great. So after buying it, the very first time at the range i had so many FTF and FTE's it wasn't even funny. Like three or 4 per magazine. Two gunsmiths and a trip back to Smith and Wesson for a new slide it finally works. It sat unused in my safe for years and I almost sold it. Now I'm glad I didn't of course. It's without a doubt the most accurate handgun I own.

FelixD

Bearcat
Al James said:
FelixD said:

Just curious? Did they send the replacements directly to you OR did you have to go through an FFL each time to get the replacement guns?

Each time they returned the gun directly to me. The new serial numbers are simply an additional letter, i.e. A, B, C, etc., added to the end of the original number. They keep a record attesting to the destruction of the frame, replacing it with a new one and then returning it to the owner.

Al James

Hunter
FelixD said:
Al James said:
FelixD said:

Each time they returned the gun directly to me. The new serial numbers are simply an additional letter, i.e. A, B, C, etc., added to the end of the original number. They keep a record attesting to the destruction of the frame, replacing it with a new one and then returning it to the owner.

10-4. It must be a state by state thing. I was dealer in CA and all the replacement guns had to go back through an FFL. I recently had 2 Glock pistols replaced and Glock sent them directly to me in OR. In a recent thread someone here mentioned that they had a replacement gun coming from Colt and that it had to be sent to an FFL, and that was in TX. Just trying to figure out if it is manufacturer policy or state laws that are causing the differences.