How do you carry your pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rabon

Single-Sixer
It depends on which pistol I carry. If striker fired with no manual safety I carry it in a paddle holster with a round chambered as it is easy to remove the gun and holster should I need to. If striker fired with a manual safety round chambered safety on which allows me to remove the gun from the holster should I need to, I generally carry a USP variant 1 which allows me to carry it any way I wish to.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
When I carried my SR9c I did so with one in the pipe and safety off. I always used a holster that completely covered the trigger guard, as I do for all my guns. These days I carry my Kel-Tec PF9 or Kahr CW9, the SR9c now fills the home defense and range role. For a compact gun it sure felt big and heavy for concealment.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
One of your biggest dangers is an accidental discharge during handling and holstering the weapon. Shooting oneself in the lower extremities can cause very serious injury or even be lethal. The thumb safety should be used at all times only come off as you come up on target.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Keep in mind the manual safeties on most striker fired pistols like the SR-series, S&W M&P, etc. were added to meet several state requirements that any pistol sold in their state had to have a manual safety. They are a belt-and-suspender approach, not essential, as these guns have several additional safety features. Glocks have been sold for nearly 30 years without one.

That said, I do like the manual safety on my SE-9c as it makes the gun a bit proprietary. If it's picked up by a child or uninformed adult, they can't fire the gun by just pulling the trigger. I agree that flipping the safety off as you draw can become second nature pretty quickly and does not slow down getting the gun into action.

CommanderCrusty

Bearcat
An SR9 is semi-cocked and locked with a round in the chamber and the safety on.

An SR9 with the safety off, round in the chamber, is semi-cocked and unlocked--just like a Glock.