Ruger Hawkeye African

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lmdeal

Bearcat
I recently came across a 77 Hawkeye African with serial number 00061 that was shipped by Ruger to a gun shop in Nashville for Randy Travis. Apparently he gets all the 61 serial numbers. I have a opportunity to purchase the gun . It is new in the box. What would be the value on this gun?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
To some, no more than any other of the same gun, to another it could be worth more of course. Were you to find a person that was both a BIG Ruger fan and a BIG fan of Randy Travis and you'd have a person taking a loan out for it. All depends on the buyer. I'd also want some paperwork from Ruger stating it's original intended destination.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Yep, there's been quite a few #61 guns floating around lately. I recently acquired one myself, along with the Randy Travis provenance that came with it. I understand a few other collectors did as well.

There is only a premium for the provenance, and you have to value whether or not that provenance is worth the premium or not, to you. Hard to tell as it's quite a personal thing.

For me, personally, I don't place much added premium on it because I'm not a Randy Travis collector. It's a nice to have, for sure, but not worth that much of a premium. That's just me, though.

BB45C

chet15

Hawkeye
Heard the #61's went back to at least the NM .357 in 1973. Did anybody hear of any guns out of this set that were of any earlier vintage?
Chet15

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I picked up a few. I already had #61 Super, so I picked up the New model Super, 44/40, 44 Mag convertible and the 50th aniversary super # 61's. I think it is pretty cool that they were owned by Randy Travis. but it is better that they are 2 digit guns :)

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey John, even better when the 2 digits have NO PREFIX or zero's in front of them :D :D :D I had spoken for the Charger # 61 but it was appropriated by a certain potato farmers daughter :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya RR.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well John, either way the outcome was the same...... I didn't get it :( :( :( I was kinda excited that it was "USED"...... I was planning on having fun with it myself :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya RR.

lmdeal

Bearcat
I did purchase the Hawkeye African with all the paperwork. I have no need for the rifle, just like the low serial number.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
In my humble opinion, I don't think you can go wrong with a 2 digit gun. I have purchased about every 2 digit gun that I could and I feel that there will always be a premium on these guns. The fact that Randy Travis owned it sure will not hurt the value and to a lot of people it will also add a premium to the gun.

If I am looking for a particuilar gun and get a chance for a 2 or 3 digit one, I will sure try for it. However I only buy guns to shoot, but if I decide or need to sell, it probaly still helps to have a little number.
I have a 3 digit 96/44 and a 2 digit NRA Mini, and use them both . I don't look to be listing them anytime soon.

Imdeal, you just need to find a need or reason to shoot your mew rifle now that you have it.

Latest posts