Ruger holster for old army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

As some of you may know, I inherited a bunch of guns and ammo and just plain stuff from my brother Mike Lueders. I found today in one of dozens of boxes of gun related material, a holster in a plastic bag marked Ruger Practical Holster. It's made for the ROA. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

flatgate

Hawkeye
There were two suppliers. Multiple sizes were produced to accommodate the majority of the Single Action Line, excepting the Bearcat.

I'm sure more data will appear.... :D

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Most of the Ruger flapholsters were made by Bianchi and say Bianchi on the, something like 170,000 in all, only about 10% of which were left hand. Bianchi holstes were offered in 16 different models (eight in right and eight in left, including the Old Army)
Then there was another company by the name of Cathey who produced about 10,000 flapholsters for Ruger about mid way through the Bianchi production. I don't think Cathey produced all 16 different models though. The Cathey holsters are identified by a large Ruger eagle logo on the belt loop, and the Cathey name does not appear.
Overall, the rarest of the flapholsters are for the Old Army, and especially in Left hand.
Chet15

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
What the others say is all true.

Below is my display of Ruger Flap Holsters at the Boise RCA show 2010

2010_01080009.jpg

FXR

Bearcat
OldRugerMan; That is a great collection of holsters.
I have been hunting one of those for my Super Blackhawk and one for my Blackhawk 6 1/2" for a little while. Gunbroker and ebay prices have been out of my price range. Found two on craigslist last year but they were gone before I called. The hunt is the fun part for me.
Like I said Nice Collection.

I have got to get to a RCA show this year.

chet15

Hawkeye
luedersj said:
Thanks for the information. Any idea on the value?

A Cathey Old Army is a rare bird! Is yours a left or right? I think a few years ago when Ruger cleaned out their flapholsters that there were five different types of Cathey still in their stockpile and one I belive was a left handed Old Army.
For price, there was a time when a NIB flapholster would cost a Benjamin, but i don't know today with the economy, and seemingly fewer people looking for good collectible Ruger stuff.
I'd bet a Bianchi flapholster if newly made today would cost you nearly $100 as it is.
Chet15

I am so sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. Mine is a right handed Bianchi. It says so right on the flap. What I get for relying on my increasingly frayed memory.

chet15

Hawkeye
luedersj said:
I am so sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. Mine is a right handed Bianchi. It says so right on the flap. What I get for relying on my increasingly frayed memory.

Still pretty good property!! Most of the Bianchi holsters were for Blackhawks and Single-Sixes and the Old Army got left in the dust.
Chet15

Latest posts