Ruger single 6 3 screw "D" serial number gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dbl Auto

Single-Sixer
We bought a Ruger single 6 3 screw with a "D" in the serial number today at Jaquas Fine Guns. I am looking for about when it was made an what the "D" indicates. It is invery nice condition with box, extra cylinder, and paperwork. What is fair market value to see how we did?
Doug
IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

Looks like a very nice revolver. The "D" means duplicate serial number. There is another Single Six out there with the same serial number but no "D". Appears to have been made in 1968. You can contact Ruger and they will narrow the ship date down to the month for you.
Value? I'll leave that to others with more knowledge.

chet15

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
SHUCKS, I thought the 500000 block of serial numbers was reserved for SUPER SINGLE SIX guns only. hmmm....

You are right on Wil, they were.
The Super Single-Six came out in November 1964 with a reserved Single-Six serial block beginning at 500000. Then in Mid 1968 when Ruger reached 499999 in their fixed sight Single-Six series, they kept right on serial numbering to 505140. Then I suppose "all you know what" broke out at the factory when somebody realized they had nearly 5,000 guns sitting there (some were shipped out before the error was caught) that had to be stamped with a "D" prefix. They must have had several employees doing the stamping because there were at least three different "D"'s used.
Today I know of two fixed sight guns that never got the "D" and were shipped before the error was caught, 500075 and 500421, so there may be up to 300 guns out there for you guys to find that never got the "D" treatment.
Chet15