"D" marked question --pic on pg 2 finally....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Basically, is there a ballpark % premium added to D guns?

Backstory.....

I saw one last night at a local shop. As I was looking at a 4 digit flat top and another regular customer ws looking at a single six. He commented he wanted the D gun. My ears perked up and I got to look at it before he put a deposit on it. Large D, equal in size to the serial number. Six digits, high 200k range

It was in very nice condition except the previous owner engaved his drivers license number on the frame full length under the serial number. :shock:

The funny part is he wanted it because he was sure the D meant dual cylinder since it had the mag cyl too. I gave a quick lesson and told him to come here for more info.

I'm certainly no expert, but among Rugerphiles there's always a certain number of folks who value the "unusual" a little more than the "run-of-the-mill" stuff.

I find the whole "D" scenario interesting because it's typical of WBR's proclivity for shipping everything that comes off the line if it can be done semi-gracefully.

Would I pay more for a "D" gun? Maybe, if it matched one I already had.

JMHO

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
Hmmmmm,, a "D" gun,, a Single-Six,,,, in the 6 digit high 200xxx serial number range. That gun COULD have been a "Lightweight" Single-Six.
VERY interesting!

radicalrod

Hunter
Maybe a RSS5 in the 244xxx range with a D......WOW.....the guns without a D are RARE....then add a D :shock: :shock: :shock: I could live with the DL number I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: did the gun sell ???? If not get the serial number and let us know what it is.....see ya RR.

street

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
I thought all LW were tri color. What should I have looked for?

You guys need to start buying these ruger books, if you had, you would know that there were 2 types of all blue Lightweights. One with the Alum. cylinder and one with the steel cylinder. Then there is the really rare all blue Lightweight with the "S" for factory second.

The first place to start is with the RENE. It is written by Chad Hiddleson, a member of this forum.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30544

Dan in MI

Staff member
street said:
Dan in MI said:
I thought all LW were tri color. What should I have looked for?

You guys need to start buying these ruger books, if you had, you would know that there were 2 types of all blue Lightweights. One with the Alum. cylinder and one with the steel cylinder. Then there is the really rare all blue Lightweight with the "S" for factory second.

The first place to start is with the RENE. It is written by Chad Hiddleson, a member of this forum.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30544

Or reading them......... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Too many irons in the fire.......and archery (trad) is still the head mistress.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Zowie! A Single-Six in the 2XXXXX range with a "D" mark would be sumptin' to behold. There is a small quantity of "steel" cylinder framed Single-Sixes in the 244XXX s/n range. I've NEVER seen one......

One of those is a "D" gun? I gotta see it to believe it.....

Dan in MI......

Standard, if there is such a thing, Lightweight.....

115908393.jpg

All Blue Lightweight with a aluminum cylinder frame and cylinder.

231742703.jpg

All Blue Lightweight with a steel cylinder.

231742699.jpg

Elusive "S" gun and this one is a two digit example, as well.....
12401396.jpg

Lightweight Single-Sixes are quite fascinating........

flatgate

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Flatgate,
WMG has the 244XXX RSS5 I found here in Tucson several years ago. I know my eyes bugged out :shock: when I first saw that one because the owner made me jump through hoops to finally get it.

Dan

Wow006-1.jpg

Wow007.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
So what is an engraved D ??? Did you write the serial number down so we can truly figure out what you saw ??? What length barrel did it have ??? They say info is power.....and we are powerless with no info....so we can speculate that it was a D stamped S gun with an asterisk and backwards roll mark double stamped upside down :lol: :lol: :lol: anymore I missed :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR

Dan in MI

Staff member
I think you missed this....

Dan in MI said:
It was in very nice condition except the previous owner engaved his drivers license number on the frame full length under the serial number. :shock:

I was being a little sarcastic.

Again I didn't get a lot of time with it. They were reluctant to let me fondle it since it was sold. No House/arrow/star, I know that because I showed him where it be ID'd as .22LR only to explain that the D didn't mean dual cyl. The serial # was higher than my old timers memory thought 497xxx. I want to say 6.5" but I'm not sure I could the diff in the little time I had when I was concentrating on the frame.

street

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
I think you missed this....

Dan in MI said:

I was being a little sarcastic.

Again I didn't get a lot of time with it. They were reluctant to let me fondle it since it was sold. No House/arrow/star, I know that because I showed him where it be ID'd as .22LR only to explain that the D didn't mean dual cyl. The serial # was higher than my old timers memory thought 497xx. I want to say 6.5" but I'm not sure I could the diff in the little time I had when I was concentrating on the frame.

With that serial number it should be a .22LR only and a 5 1/2 in. bl. Ruger would not install a Mag. cylinder on any single-six under serial number 150,000. and the other barrel lengths didn't start showing up till 1959, somewhere after serial number 128,000.

chet15

Hawkeye
OK, if the frame is steel along with the cylinder, its not a Lightweight...so the 2xxxxx serial number range probably goes out the window.
The most common "D" Single-Six are those in the D5xxxxx range, which does have large serial numbers. I have a hunch that might be what it is.
Yes, I consider "D" guns to have a premium as they can't just be found anywhere. There aren't too many guns/variations that Ruger makes by mistake that aren't worth at least a little premium.
If one of the previous owners scratched his SSN on the frame near the sn though, all extra collectibility factor probably went right out the window as well. Would be "shooter" value to me.
Chet15