SP101 cyclinder change

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
This may be a rookie question, but I don't know so I am asking. On the SP101's, can the cylinder/crane assemblies be swapped out? In particular, can you swap a .357 cylinder assy. for a .38 special assy.? Now before you all start in on the "why's" of doing this, the answer is because I want to. And yes, I am very aware that you can shoot both in the .357 cylinder.

So, there it is. Thanks for any info that you can give me.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think it has been done. You'd have to have a good set of mic's to check measurements,,, but I do seem to recall it being done before.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Contender, thanks for the reply. I was of the opinion that it could, but wasn't sure if Ruger made the special cylinder shorter (oal) or not.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Captain America said:
Wouldn't it required some barrel work to get the B/C gap into specs?
I talked about this in another thread some time ago and some pretty smart people said the double-action cylinders are pretty much 'drop in'. I assume that goes for the cranes also.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Follow up: I got the cylinder (and crane) assembly in today. Of course was excited to try it out. Nope, won't work. So, swapped the cylinder on the known good crane. Nope, won't work. Problem is can't close the cylinder in the frame. Hmmmm. So (again) I compared cylinders. Found the problem. Not sure of the technical name for it but, on the back of the cylinder, the "star" on the ejector is completely different. I have a picture of the two side by side for comparison but not sure how to post to tie it in here. I even compared it to a second .357 and same thing. Now if that can be changed out, or machined, it looks like it will work just fine. If not, I have a fancy pencil holder. Open to suggestions here and "just shoot .38 special in the .357 cylinder" is NOT an option to what I am hoping to achieve.