Trigger guard latch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I'm curious if anyone else has ever had trouble with the trigger guard latch on a GP100 or SRH resetting when reassembling? It won't pop back out.
On both my SRH & GP this has happened. When I disassembled them for the first time I had a hell of a time getting the latch to push in.
My fix was to use a rat tail file to clean up the frame where the latch holster the trigger guard assembly in place.
I know someone will suggest that I didn't have the guard seated correctly, but I'm 100% sure I did. I couldn't get it to seat any more flush.
Once I cleaned it up it works perfectly.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That is a very common problem. It is usually better to dress the latch than to file on the frame. Sometimes all that is needed to seat the trigger guard in a soft mallet and a sharp rap.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Jimbo I tried the mallet tap with no luck. I didn't take much off the frame, just enough to release the latch.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I want to add that I put the 8lb. trigger return spring and a 10lb hammer spring in it and just got back from shooting 150rnds and had one lite primer hit. It went off the second time trying. But I'm gonna switch the 10lb out for the 12lb.
90% of the time I shoot single action so I should be good. Might even put the heavy stock one back in.
It seems pretty accurate even though I wasn't shooting of the bench. I tried 4 different bullets and loads.

Doing this from memory.
Remove the trigger assembly. Press in on the trigger guard latch pin and release and see if it pops back out. If it does not, it may need to be taken out and the hole that it rides in might need to be opened up, JUST enough for the latch pin to be able to be pushed in and pop back out when released.

If you look at that area, you should see a small roll pin that hold the latch pin and the spring in place. Drive it out and if need be, grab the latch pin with a pair of needle nose plies and pull it and the spring out. The see what might be binding up the pin. Find a twist drill that is the same (or just a very little bit bigger) and using your fingers see if you can smooth that hole up some. Then put the spring back in then the pin and see if it moves better. If not, enlarge and smooth the hole some more.

REMEMBER: it's easy to take metal off but HARD to add it back. Go slow and steady.

Once the pin moves easily in the hole then push the pin in and put the roll pin back in to hold it in place. Then put the trigger group back in and see how it works.

If you do the first part and the pin moves easily in the hole, then look at the matching cut in the frame and see if it needs to be cleaned up a little bit to allow the pin to seat. Remember the pin is tapered but the matching cut in the frame may not be cut quite correctly thus the pin rubs against it and does not seat correctly.

TJ11

Single-Sixer
Ha I can't get my GP100 latch pin to release the trigger assembly. Watched the Ruger how to three times but the pin will not push in. Tried a driver and a punch but the angle is not a straight shot.

TJ11 said:
Ha I can't get my GP100 latch pin to release the trigger assembly. Watched the Ruger how to three times but the pin will not push in. Tried a driver and a punch but the angle is not a straight shot.

No it's not a straight shot, you might have to butt the frame (where the grip goes on) against something and give it a good whack. Make sure the punch you have matches pretty closely to the size of the latch pin (and still fits through the slot in the frame). You can also take the hammer out and put a long punch or screwdriver down through that opening and use it like a lever to press on the latch pin. They can be stubborn at times but they will push in.

You used to be able to buy a device, called a "Ruger Popper" that is like a bent screwdriver and makes pushing the latch pins of the Six series guns and the GP100's a lot easier. You used to be able to get them from a member of the forum - check here http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75884 and it will show you basically how to make one. I got years ago from Brownells but I don't think they carry them any more.

Again, once you get it loose, you want to make sure the latch pin moves easily in and out (see my response above).

Good luck, be persistent and you'll get it loose.

TJ11. Go to the Auction Links section here and top of page in stickey section look for Ruger Popper by GPMan.
Every Gp should have been sent from the factory with this tool. You could make it yourself but GPman makes it easy by sending him a few bucks. Brownells used to sell them but quit a number of years ago.
Good luck. Eric